Should we do online check-in AKL

Seattlehasnodisney

Earning My Ears
Hey everyone,

We are staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge next week and I have been trying to decide if we should check-in online. I have heard a variety of feedback when looking through old threads, but wonder what makes sense for our unique situation.

The biggest thing is we arrive EARLY. We are flying overnight from Seattle and arrive at MCO at just before 6am. I imagine we will be at the resort around 7:00 or so. If we check-in online, will it be likely that they assign us a room that won't be available until after 3pm? Are we likely to have success getting into our room earlier if we check-in in person?

I do not have any expectation that we will get an early check-in. I know it's just a bonus if we do get it. I just would like to increase my chances for it if possible. I also would like to be able to request a king bed since it's just me and my wife in the room. Online check-in doesn't appear to allow any requests other than high floor/low floor, close to elevator/lobby, etc.

Finally, are we likely to save a bunch of time completing the check-in online? Are there large check-in lines at AKL that early in the morning typically? This is my first time staying on Disney property but I know I have been to other very large resorts and the check-in line can be pretty insane. However, if we are likely not to save much time at all by checking in online, I'd probably just opt for doing it in person.

Any help, guidance or advice would be greatly appreciated.

There is no reason NOT to do online check-in. If you are hoping there will be a room available on arrival, you can check that you want first available unit. This overrides any other request.

There will not be any more likelihood of you getting in early checking in "in person." Rooms are assigned 3-5 days in advance. If you request first available, there is a possibility they can assign you to a room not occupied the evening before, as that is an option. Otherwise, everything will be dependent on when other guests check out and the unit can be turned over, which cannot fully be predicted in advance.

The desk has limited capability of changing unit assignment.

Realistically, you have a choice between trying to prefer the King, or getting in first thing in the morning.

Short answer is that checking in on-line won't make much of a difference.
On-line check in might save you a couple of minutes at the counter.
Arriving at 7:00 AM, whether you did on-line check in or not, makes it unlikely that a room will be available.
At the time of check-in, you can request a king, or the first available room, or both, depending on how long you are willing to wait.

Personally, I would arrive at the resort, request the king, leave the bags and head to a park. They'll text you when the room is ready.

Actually there is a reason to not do online check in. In order for me to be able to use the DV redemption card for room charges, I have to do it at check in. It won't let me do it online. I have to tell them at check in to charge the redemption card 1st, then all other charges can go on my visa.

Actually there is a reason to not do online check in. In order for me to be able to use the DV redemption card for room charges, I have to do it at check in. It won't let me do it online. I have to tell them at check in to charge the redemption card 1st, then all other charges can go on my visa.

You can check in online and still do that. It's not like you're barred from stopping by the front desk if you do Online Check In.

There is no reason NOT to do online check-in. If you are hoping there will be a room available on arrival, you can check that you want first available unit. This overrides any other request.

There will not be any more likelihood of you getting in early checking in "in person." Rooms are assigned 3-5 days in advance. If you request first available, there is a possibility they can assign you to a room not occupied the evening before, as that is an option. Otherwise, everything will be dependent on when other guests check out and the unit can be turned over, which cannot fully be predicted in advance.

The desk has limited capability of changing unit assignment.

Realistically, you have a choice between trying to prefer the King, or getting in first thing in the morning.

I appreciate the response :). I travel quite a bit... I'd venture to say a ton (well over a dozen work and personal trips annually) but know there are people who travel a lot more than I do. I know most hotels and resorts I've stayed at have definitely able to change my room assignment on the fly when I am at the check-in desk based on what was currently clean and available. I am sure there are definitely measures to get ahead of the hoards of people checking in and out and efforts made to align where people are going to go based on their booked category, etc. so that makes sense, but are Disney resorts unique in how they assign rooms to the rest of the industry? Are you saying if I don't complete online check-in I will still be assigned a specific room ahead of my arrival? I am not trying to disagree at all, I see you are a very frequent poster to the boards and likely have a lot of inside knowledge. I appreciate your help.

Short answer is that checking in on-line won't make much of a difference.
On-line check in might save you a couple of minutes at the counter.
Arriving at 7:00 AM, whether you did on-line check in or not, makes it unlikely that a room will be available.
At the time of check-in, you can request a king, or the first available room, or both, depending on how long you are willing to wait.

Personally, I would arrive at the resort, request the king, leave the bags and head to a park. They'll text you when the room is ready.

This more or less confirms what I was thinking already. If I could get a King bed and an early check-in (not necessarily at 7am, but before 3pm)... that'd be great! I guess we will see what happens. I wish there was a way to request the king bed through online check-in.

I appreciate the response :). I travel quite a bit... I'd venture to say a ton (well over a dozen work and personal trips annually) but know there are people who travel a lot more than I do. I know most hotels and resorts I've stayed at have definitely able to change my room assignment on the fly when I am at the check-in desk based on what was currently clean and available. I am sure there are definitely measures to get ahead of the hoards of people checking in and out and efforts made to align where people are going to go based on their booked category, etc. so that makes sense, but are Disney resorts unique in how they assign rooms to the rest of the industry? Are you saying if I don't complete online check-in I will still be assigned a specific room ahead of my arrival? I am not trying to disagree at all, I see you are a very frequent poster to the boards and likely have a lot of inside knowledge. I appreciate your help.

From what I understand the rooms are assigned 3 to 5 days out.

You can always call/fax in the room requests at about 5 days out. Your primary request is a king bed followed by early availability.

Jumping in with a question- I am thinking of booking at AKL for May. I understand a good,portion of standard rooms receive an upgrade due to the limited,supply of standard rooms.

Would on-line check in be beneficial if hoping for an upgrade?

Jumping in with a question- I am thinking of booking at AKL for May. I understand a good,portion of standard rooms receive an upgrade due to the limited,supply of standard rooms.

Would on-line check in be beneficial if hoping for an upgrade?

It won't make a difference.

I appreciate the response :). I travel quite a bit... I'd venture to say a ton (well over a dozen work and personal trips annually) but know there are people who travel a lot more than I do. I know most hotels and resorts I've stayed at have definitely able to change my room assignment on the fly when I am at the check-in desk based on what was currently clean and available. I am sure there are definitely measures to get ahead of the hoards of people checking in and out and efforts made to align where people are going to go based on their booked category, etc. so that makes sense, but are Disney resorts unique in how they assign rooms to the rest of the industry?

Yes. WDW runs at over 90% occupancy rate consistently. Getting everyone assigned is like a giant game if Tetris. Therefore there are not an abundance of rooms available when you arrive. Most hotels/resorts assign rooms day of.

Are you saying if I don't complete online check-in I will still be assigned a specific room ahead of my arrival?

Yes.

I wish there was a way to request the king bed through online check-in.

It's best to call in your requests anyway.

As previously stated, rooms are assigned several days out. Desk staff often have to get okay for reassignment from the assigners.

Thanks to all that attempted to help.

I called in and was able to at least request early check in and a king bed. I know that's only a request so we will see what happens when we get there. Regardless, I'm sure we will be fine and have a great time.

Thanks again for the responses and assistance.

I would still do online check in. There is a spot to enter your ETA. And it will speed things up at the desk as they’ll have all your info.

Phoning and attaching your room requests to your reservation is the best way to get the king bed, and mention it again at the desk on arrival. It shouldn’t be crowded at that hour at all.
On arrival I have sometimes had success changing my room if I didn’t like the one assigned. So it is possible. I’ve also been able to get room early when I arrive early. Not always, but many times.

We fly out of SEA sometimes, live across the border. Next trip flying out of Bellingham! We stay the night before in a hotel in Southcenter area to get that early morning Alaska flight but looked up park & Fly hotels and rates were ridiculous in August so trying Bellingham.

Are there large check-in lines at AKL that early in the morning typically?

I’ve never seen a long checkin line anywhere since December 2010. Fwiw.

I’ve almost always done whatever form of online checkin they had since our first trip in 2010.

The one time I didn’t I ended up in a cruddy room. (At akl Jambo)

There is no reason NOT to do online check-in.

Exactly.

Zero reason why you can’t do that at the front desk even if you did online checking. Use the cc for online checkin (thereby entering the cc through a secure website vs handing it over to a non-secure human), and a day or so into the trip bring your redemption card to pay for the charges so far.

I tried that once & they already charged most of the amount to my cc. I want to use it to pay for the room. I have enough on my redemption card to pay almost the whole room cost (I have room only ressie). I want to make sure nothing is charged to my cc until all is used on redemption card 1st. I am thinking just calling & using it to pay off the room the day b4 I arrive.

I tried that once & they already charged most of the amount to my cc. I want to use it to pay for the room. I have enough on my redemption card to pay almost the whole room cost (I have room only ressie). I want to make sure nothing is charged to my cc until all is used on redemption card 1st. I am thinking just calling & using it to pay off the room the day b4 I arrive.

That is the only way for them to not charge the stay on your arrival day - to pay it off ahead of time.

If you do on-line check in would you please post here how it goes? We've done on-line check in several times at both AKL and Kidani, and it's been useless each time. One time I got off the DME bus and told the CM greeting me that I'd done on-line check in and asked her where I go (they used to have a different, shorter line), but she just said there was one line and I had to wait there. When I said "on-line" check in, she looked like I was speaking a foreign language. Last time, they told us we'd get a text when our room was ready and we never got a text (they also insisted that yes, our room was close to the lobby, which, being in the 4th "pod, we didn't agree). Until I hear some success stories I wouldn't waste my time doing on-line check in at AKL.

That is the only way for them to not charge the stay on your arrival day - to pay it off ahead of time.

That's why I don't do online checkin. They don't have my cc on file yet so I can use the redemption card at check in to pay it. If I do online check in, then they charge my room to the card b4 I can give them the redemption card. I haven't done online check in for the last few trips & it worked. The reason I avoided paying the room balance ahead of time (besides the fact I don't have to w/room only ressie) is that they will not reimburse me the redemption points if there is a change of plans (flight cancelled, etc). We are arriving late at night this time though and avoiding check in would be nice. I will pay the day b4 so I don't have to worry about it.

The one time years ago I did online check in at AKL, I still had to go to front desk. It was quick though once I got to the counter as they had my stuff ready. It's just depends on how long the line is.

Ah, you said “room charges” before, which reads as charged to the room for me. “Room charging”.

Paying FOR the room is different. And yep, for the last almost-a-year you have to enter a cc. Before it was not required (though it did bounce back and forth for a bit).

Until I hear some success stories I wouldn't waste my time doing on-line check in at AKL.

What is a success story to you?

I do online checkin just to do it. I’ve never gotten a room ready text. And I don’t feel like it hasn’t been successful. They now know when I’m arriving, and IF I make requests they can compare those to the rooms slated to be available when I get there. If those don’t match up, they wouldn’t have anyway.

And you can always go to the front desk if you want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter