Should there be more adult oriented animation that is not comedy?

I imagine space opera type shows would be cheaper if done in animation instead of live action.
X8gXYTD.jpg

I think it would be cool to have a serious sci fi animated show inspired by BSG, Mass Effect, and Iain M. Banks "Culture" that was of HBO quality but sadly it seems like there is still the mentality that adult oriented animation has to be raunchy comedy.

Last edited:
Animated Star Wars shows (The Clone Wars, Rebels, Bad Batch) have some of the best Star Wars content and are better than a lot of the live action stuff. I’m fine with animated shows!

I'm pretty sure there's "adult oriented" animation out there that I can't exactly link here.

Asia (Japan in particular) has a ton of "adult" animation that is not strictly comedy, but it is still a niche in other parts of the world. Stuff like Arcane and Legend of Vox Machina in the last couple years got a little traction as "western" adult animation, so maybe it is a start?

Some of Pixar's recent films have kind of flirted with being geared more towards adults. The main themes in Toy Story 3 and Soul for example hit pretty hard for adults. They may still be labeled as kids/family movies, but there is a lot of stuff that is not going to register to a kid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter