Should I wear a dress?

I’ve been debating this as well. I’m going in late October. We went in Dec 2020 and it was during a freak cold snap. We had to wear jeans and layers. It wasn’t that comfy.

I wear maxi dresses daily with chub rub shorts. 🤣 I think that and then some days with athletic pants and t-shirts are what I’m going to pack.

At WDW, in and out of rides, on and off the ground, windy spots, sudden rain, bending and reaching… all activities that I want to have piece of mind that I’m not showing my underwear to others. Hence, why you see so many folks reporting wearing bike shorts, slip shorts, etc.It’s piece of mind. Many are quite light weight and all day comfortable. Don’t pick shapewear though as that is too constricting. You see a lot of short skirts around the parks and nearly everyone has something on underneath that makes it fine if the skirt rides up. Some is just boy shorts underwear, but those cover enough to prevent gawking or embarrassment.

It’s also about chaffing. Wearing a dress on a summer day at an arts festival, in and out of the shade, within minimal walking and not really that much sweating, sure dresses are cute and cool. But FL heat and humidity with the miles of walking, I need some protection. Now, if you are lucky enough to have a lot of thigh gap, maybe that’s not a concern. But for those of us who should be thinner, well, it’s an issue.

Be aware that long skirts and dresses will touch the floor on boat rides, need to be gathered on rides you straddle, and you have to take extra care in sometimes yucky bathrooms. So unless it’s just a couple hours in a park and then off to a nice dinner, I think maxi dresses could be a real pain in all day in a park.

But really, my opinion does not really matter! It’s you who has to be comfortable!

I think we all misunderstood your question and went for suggestions on how to manage a dress. This might be what you are looking for:
MK - carousel. Maybe Astro Orbitor, though that could be a "me" problem. :)
EP - Soarin' (if you are small enough to need the strap between your legs)
AK - FOP
HS - don't think there's one here that would be a problem.

You understood the assignment! Thanks so much!
I’m 5’6” and 120lbs, what do you mean by small enough?

At WDW, in and out of rides, on and off the ground, windy spots, sudden rain, bending and reaching… all activities that I want to have piece of mind that I’m not showing my underwear to others. Hence, why you see so many folks reporting wearing bike shorts, slip shorts, etc.It’s piece of mind. Many are quite light weight and all day comfortable. Don’t pick shapewear though as that is too constricting. You see a lot of short skirts around the parks and nearly everyone has something on underneath that makes it fine if the skirt rides up. Some is just boy shorts underwear, but those cover enough to prevent gawking or embarrassment.

It’s also about chaffing. Wearing a dress on a summer day at an arts festival, in and out of the shade, within minimal walking and not really that much sweating, sure dresses are cute and cool. But FL heat and humidity with the miles of walking, I need some protection. Now, if you are lucky enough to have a lot of thigh gap, maybe that’s not a concern. But for those of us who should be thinner, well, it’s an issue.

Be aware that long skirts and dresses will touch the floor on boat rides, need to be gathered on rides you straddle, and you have to take extra care in sometimes yucky bathrooms. So unless it’s just a couple hours in a park and then off to a nice dinner, I think maxi dresses could be a real pain in all day in a park.

But really, my opinion does not really matter! It’s you who has to be comfortable!
Soooo no ballgowns? There goes my fantasy of twirling around in front of the castle.

There are lots and lots of dresses in the parks, even more here lately with the rise in popularity of the dresses sold at Marketplace. I wear them quite often (with slipshorts) because it's so much cooler than shorts and more comfortable, plus they look nicer in pics. I also love a skort!

The only thing I can think of is carousel & FOP. FOP isn't too big of a deal, assuming it's not a tight miniskirt, but carousel is always a tad awkward getting up on it - ha! I could also see struggling to get out of Astro Orbiter and SM maybe?

I wear dresses all the time in the summer. At home, on vacation at Disney or anywhere else.
I have some skimmy type undershorts that I can use, but I rarely use them because I think they are hot and don't like the feel in very humid weather.

I do feel a lot of my summer dresses are somewhat see through in certain light so I wear a very lightweight slip under them and it works perfectly. And if dress blows up, slip stays in place. Never had an issue of flashing anyone...that I know of. 😄

This is what I use - I have in nude, black, and light pink:

EaseWay Women's Basic Adjustable Spaghetti Strap Cami Under Mini Dress​

https://www.amazon.com/EaseWay-Wome...ef=sr_1_4?keywords=slip&qid=1658923308&sr=8-4

Last edited:
I wear dresses a lot in WDW--it's a lot cooler and more comfortable for me. I don't ride the carousel, but that would be an issue. FOP--as long as the dress has enough fabric to be a little drapey, you probably won't have a concern. I'm pretty sure I've flashed a lot of people getting in and out of rides.

I will say that I am also 5'6" and even when I did weigh 120 pounds, I still wore Jockey shorts underneath for extra comfort and no chafing. (I like the cooling slipshort style.)

The only truly awkward ride at Disney I can think of is Space Mtn. FOP could be but if you wore a long enough dress, it probably wouldn't be an issue. Otherwise I've had no issues at the parks while wearing a dress. It's a fantastic idea that I wish I had started sooner. Universal is a different story.

The only truly awkward ride at Disney I can think of is Space Mtn. FOP could be but if you wore a long enough dress, it probably wouldn't be an issue. Otherwise I've had no issues at the parks while wearing a dress. It's a fantastic idea that I wish I had started sooner. Universal is a different story.

Thank you! What's the issue with SM?
I'm planning to go all out and wear a Slytherin inspired outfit for Universal: short green plaid skirt and white tank. Can you recall which rides might be problematic?

Thank you! What's the issue with SM?
I'm planning to go all out and wear a Slytherin inspired outfit for Universal: short green plaid skirt and white tank. Can you recall which rides might be problematic?
Space mountain is one where I think there's no way to get out of the ride without flashing a little.

At Universal, the Hagrid ride you sit on a motorcycle. I think there are several rides there where the restraint hooks between your thighs.

I wear dresses and skirts a lot on WDW holidays!

Agree with Space Mountain being awkward, the seats are very low so I've always found it a bit hard to get in/out with a dress/skirt. Though am quite sure I've been on it with a dress/skirt...

Not had huge issues on Flight of Passage though I can see it could be an issue if my dresses/skirts were of a different length/cut. I think as long as the dress/skirt is of a length/cut that lets you ride a bike without issue (in a past life I used to commute on a bike and would frequently cycle in skirts/dresses) it should be fine on FOP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter