Should I use a TA?

For WDW, I refuse to use a TA because I love trip planning. Trying to snag hard to find dining ressies gives me joy. :D Need to make changes to the resort or reservation? I like actually talking to the Disney line myself. I know not everyone feels the same. If you don’t mind turning it over, a TA can be helpful. However, you need to ask up front about what EXACTLY they can do for you.

I've used one before, but stopped when I could get discounts faster than her. I lost out on discounts before, since they have to check a whole list of client's reservations, and I just have to check mine. By the time she got to me, the discount I could see on my screen was gone. I like being in control, and disney has actually made that really easy at this point, as long as you know what you're doing.

We use a TA mostly to get the room reservation booked and knowing they will alert us if a discount or better discount is offered. I do not have them book dining. I think a fun part of the planning process is looking and booking our dining and changing to something we would rather have if it comes open at a later date.

We used a TA to book rooms and it was definitely a plus. They were able to rebook us in a better and less expensive room. For everything else, I would do them myself.

OP… we are like you and like to be in control. We have never used a travel agent before this trip. The only reason we did this time is because our daughter in law is now a travel agent and we wanted to give her some business. We only let her have our room reservations because we could get our tickets cheaper through a third party seller and we want to be in control of our restaurant reservations. We don’t really like turning over our room reservations because it is much harder to make changes or requests after booking. She has control and we can’t just give Disney a call. We have made changes twice already and if she wasn’t easily accessible, it would have made me a nervous wreck. Both times were at night after business hours for most travel agents. We could have lost out on the room we wanted if she wasn’t accessible to us at night.

I'm surprised to see so many pro-TA replies. This recent thread was pretty negative about using a TA due to lack of control of your reservation https://www.disboards.com/threads/o...y-without-asking.3912958/page-7#post-64712351

why surprised? this is one person's experience who didn't know how the relationship worked. I've booked on my own and the last 4 trips thru TA. 0 issues.

It sounds like the OP didn't use an earmarked Disney travel agency. It sounds like the TA didn't know she could reject the change and or could talk to the client and call back with his requests. Even if the client agreed to move he didn't have to accept the resort that was offered, and could have requested another more acceptable one. This is where a good TA would be invaluable in advocating for you. I do my own research including what discounts are available then text or email my TA to book it. I do everything else myself. If I need to make a change in resorts or dates its just a simple text or email to my TA and she makes the changes. Not all phone CMs are equal and a good TA will know what can and can not be done. When you stay CL you can still talk to DSS and make any requests or have them book something for you. I don't feel like I am giving up any control and like not to have to deal with any room issues.

It sounds like the OP didn't use an earmarked Disney travel agency. It sounds like the TA didn't know she could reject the change and or could talk to the client and call back with his requests. Even if the client agreed to move he didn't have to accept the resort that was offered, and could have requested another more acceptable one. This is where a good TA would be invaluable in advocating for you. I do my own research including what discounts are available then text or email my TA to book it. I do everything else myself. If I need to make a change in resorts or dates its just a simple text or email to my TA and she makes the changes. Not all phone CMs are equal and a good TA will know what can and can not be done. When you stay CL you can still talk to DSS and make any requests or have them book something for you. I don't feel like I am giving up any control and like not to have to deal with any room issues.
It sounds like more work to vet a TA than it is to just book yourself. :)

Thanks for all the replies, guys! This is confirming my gut instinct that I don’t want to relinquish control over this to a travel agent! I’m not new to WDW, just they have changed ALOT since I last went pre-pandemic so I wanted to make sure there wasn’t some tangible benefit to using them that I was missing by not using them (like specifically this (I guess rumor) I saw on some board that they had access to hidden room blocks at certain resorts. I’m happy to make planning this trip my hobby for the next 9 months and you’ll probably see me on here a lot between now and then 🤗

Thanks for all the replies, guys! This is confirming my gut instinct that I don’t want to relinquish control over this to a travel agent! I’m not new to WDW, just they have changed ALOT since I last went pre-pandemic so I wanted to make sure there wasn’t some tangible benefit to using them that I was missing by not using them (like specifically this (I guess rumor) I saw on some board that they had access to hidden room blocks at certain resorts. I’m happy to make planning this trip my hobby for the next 9 months and you’ll probably see me on here a lot between now and then 🤗
I’m with you in that the planning is part of the fun for me. Some people don’t enjoy that aspect, though, and that’s okay, too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter