• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Should I use a DU travel agent?

catmom29

Earning My Ears
Hi there,

I want to do all the planning for my trip, but am wondering if I should use a Dreams Unlimited travel agent?

Looking to keep it fairly reasonably priced.

Will I still be able to access my Disney reservations on their website?

Thanks!

I can only share my recent, first and last experience with them:

I submitted a request for a quote about a month ago. It took them approx. 1 week to respond because "they were busy with cruise bookings". While slightly annoyed by that response, I reviewed the info they sent me and discovered their prices were $100-$200 less than the WDW website when booking a package for early next year. A month went by, and our plans/dates had changed. When I reached back out to the original agent this past weekend, the prices quoted were problematic in couple of ways:
1) the price for a 2 person package was HIGHER than the price for a 3 person package
2) both prices were HIGHER than those I received on the WDW website

When I told the agent that their prices were higher, she simply responded, strange! We offer the same prices, and then asked me what prices I got off the website!

I, too, love to do the planning, but thought I'd give them a try since they advertise on these boards all the time. Needless to say, I'll keep doing it on my own.

I think it depends on why you need a TA. Some people do not have the knowledge of the area or the resorts and / or do not have the time to research it.
I have dis so I do not need a TA.
I know they were really helpful when FP were a thing. They can be helpful when it comes to ADRs
But I join touring plans and get them that way.
If I was going to pick a TA I would pick Dreams

Last edited:

I don’t use DU. I tried but they didn’t send a quote and then weeks later e mailed to ask if I still wanted a quote and then the TA went on holiday without giving a return to work date. This may be because I am from the U.K. and it is sometimes difficult for US TAs to compete with U.K. WDW direct pricing. Anyway, I then found Small World Vacations and they (Marion) have been fantastic. She spent hours booking a complicated tri split stay Bounceback so that I didn’t sacrifice park time, has booked, cancelled and rebooked numerous trips during the pandemic and moved resort reservations around to fit changed flights etc., with ne’er a complaint. I dread to think how many hours she spends on hold to Disney. She always responds promptly. I can see the reservations in my MDE account but choose to make APRs and ADRs etc myself. TouringPlans also have a travel agency now. I don’t think that the price you get from TAs is a lot different, SWV gives a free TP subscription and TP give a free rucksack, but I find SWV first rate at applying discounts as they are offered. Shop around and find a TA with whom you feel comfortable.

Unless they can provide you some discount not available to the general public, I don't see any value in using a Travel Agent.
Its not about the discount its about them being able to book what you want without you waiting. Booking adrs and such and even putting in discounts when they pop up to try and snag you a better deal.

I don’t use DU. I tried but they didn’t send a quote and then weeks later e mailed to ask if I still wanted a quote and then the TA went on holiday without giving a return to work date. This may be because I am from the U.K. and it is sometimes difficult for US TAs to compete with U.K. WDW direct pricing. Anyway, I then found Small World Vacations and they (Marion) have been fantastic. She spent hours booking a complicated tri split stay Bounceback so that I didn’t sacrifice park time, has booked, cancelled and rebooked numerous trips during the pandemic and moved resort reservations around to fit changed flights etc., with ne’er a complaint. I dread to think how many hours she spends on hold to Disney. She always responds promptly. I can see the reservations in my MDE account but choose to make APRs and ADRs etc myself. TouringPlans also have a travel agency now. I don’t think that the price you get from TAs is a lot different, SWV gives a free TP subscription and TP give a free rucksack, but I find SWV first rate at applying discounts as they are offered. Shop around and find a TA with whom you feel comfortable.
Yikes thats 2 people in this one thread talking about waiting weeks for a quote.. since this board is sponsored by DU idk how long this thread will stay up. But if this is the type of customer service they are giving these days they need to up there game.

Yikes thats 2 people in this one thread talking about waiting weeks for a quote.. since this board is sponsored by DU idk how long this thread will stay up. But if this is the type of customer service they are giving these days they need to up there game.
I think everyone drops the ball sometimes and as I said, I don’t think the U.K. market is particularly attractive to US TAs because we generally get better offers from U.K. WDW direct. What US bookings offer is amazing flexibility, no charges for changes, adding discounts etc, helping with Bouncebacks. WDW U.K. (although they are a travel agency) don’t do any of that and charge £50 to £100 every time a change is made.

Unless they can provide you some discount not available to the general public, I don't see any value in using a Travel Agent.
A Dreams TA will monitor your reservation for a better deal. Disney regularly releases special offers and when they do the Dreams TA's review all their current bookings to see if they will save you money.

I would... I have had great experience with DU in the past. They were very patient with any changes we had to make because of who we were traveling with. Also when things get on sale- they will automatically take care of the discounts instead of you having to call and do it yourself. Plus it doesn't cost your any.

FWIW, I've never noticed a higher price with DU vs the WDW website. If anything they have helped me lower my price.

I am a travel agent for another agency, but with the current CDC regulations being lifted, summer vacations starting, and the availability of reserving Disney Wish, I can see why a response time could be further out than normal. I say if you are curious about using them go ahead and send a request and if you don't like the response time you can try another agency to see. You never know until you try! Also, you definitely will still have access to your MDE while they plan your vacation if that is what you meant by your Disney Reservations.

Its not about the discount its about them being able to book what you want without you waiting. Booking adrs and such and even putting in discounts when they pop up to try and snag you a better deal.
My DU TA was only willing to book ADRs during business hours, so no earlier than 9am.

My DU TA was only willing to book ADRs during business hours, so no earlier than 9am.
I mean if the company wants to get folks there 6am ADRs they should have early morning hours. Since fast pass also was early. I can understand not working in the am if you don't get payed idk how this all works tho.

My DU agent has been very responsive. We booked 9 months early for our May/June trip, then found out a month later we had to push our trip back 1 week. She took care of everything, including looking into prices for 3 different hotels before we settled on Yacht Club and then was able to change or reservation/tickets for the following week. She spent the time finding us the best savings when 2 discounts dropped at the same time. I like to do our ADRs and park planning (I find it fun) and she was fine with letting me do that. I did ask her to set up Magical Express for us and sent her 2 separate updates when our airline changed our flights. She's saving me time on the phone/website for the 'boring' stuff. I also like having a point of contact in case any hiccups occur (hopefully won't).

If you can do it yourself then I would make all of the reservations myself. Remember if something happens and you need to make changes to any plans only the they can make the changes not you. Disney will only work with the TA that made the reservation not the person taking the trip.

I think for DCL it's a no brainer because of the shipboard credit. I think for a Disney vacation (or UO), I would pick whoever has the least # of clients lol. You don't want an overworked agent!

I think TA is best for people that don’t have time to school themselves on WDW.
TA can help them decide resort, perks of visiting different times, when offers are likely to drop, help them plan tickets and add-ons, recommend places to eat, etc.

We tried using a TA from a different agency and honestly it was more of a hassle than not. The couple questions we had never got a real answer. Changes needed to be done thru them when it’s easier for us to do it and not have to wait or check back. I’d use a Disney TA for a cruise or ABD tho because we’re less familiar with those and could use the help.

I am a travel agent booking Disney Vacations (not through DU) and from my perspective, I would recommend a TA if you need assistance with planning your vacation and/or would like someone else to do all of the heavy lifting! As other users have shared, travel agents do not have access to special deals that you would have access to on the Disney websites, but we are able to help you with many of the logistics and making sure that all of your boxes are checked. If you're a Disney expert and enjoy the planning process, no need to use a TA! There is also no added cost in using a TA or any hidden fees.

I love my DU agent. I still do all my own day to day planning thru MDE but she took care of getting all my tickets and resort reservations. We had to make changes to our party and dates twice but she got it taken care of within 48hrs, all with a simple email, no long process dealing with Disney. And when one of the specials dropped she contacted me first thing the morning of the drop and was able to get us an extra day for less than the original price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter