• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Should I stay off property or stay at Disney Springs?

Dpflake

Earning My Ears
Hi all 🙋‍♀️
I’m currently planning an anniversary trip for myself and DH September 14-21st. DH has never been to Disney World before 😳. We just got back from USO 1wk ago. We stayed on property there so we experienced all of the added perks. His 1st time staying on property anywhere. Needless to say, he loved ❤️ that trip so much that before we even left he wanted to come back for the HHN’s. So my “Disney” brain started thinking. Why pay $$ for something we just did when we could take that money and visit Disney World. 😀 Then just take a Lyft for the Special Ticket event at Universal. So.... this is the issue that has been causing me to seriously rack my brain. We will be flying into MCO and taking a Lyft to hotel. Not able to rent a car. I’ve checked on packages for Disney with hotel and ticket packages the only issue I have with that is having the complete trip paid off by 45 days before arrival. Since this is a last minute trip a little more than 3 months away that might be a little difficult for us. So I was thinking about booking a hotel offsite that offers a shuttle and no resort fee. After researching that option the only issue is most of those shuttles only run 1 particular time in the morning and 1 particular time in the evening. The times they run just wouldn’t work for me because I love park opening. Plus there was one time the shuttle picked up from hotel 2 hours after a certain park opened. So I then thought maybe take a Lyft to DS then take a bus to any resort and then bus to theme park. However when I figure in the cost of Lyft for 7-8 days to and from DS that could possibly be an extra $250 to $300 for that. Now I’m thinking again why not take that $250 to $300 and apply that to a hotel at DS even with resort fee then we can just walk to the buses at DS or even better a shuttle to park. I need to figure out the best value with less headache and frustration. I’m just so confused now lol. 🤷‍♀️ I’m seeing numbers, rooms, amenities and such every time I close my eyes. 😂
if my DH thought USO was awesome I want him to be completely blown away with Disney. 😀
I apologize for typing such a long post but I need help.

Not able to rent a car. I’ve checked on packages for Disney with hotel and ticket packages the only issue I have with that is having the complete trip paid off by 45 days before arrival. Since this is a last minute trip a little more than 3 months away that might be a little difficult for us. So I was thinking about booking a hotel offsite that offers a shuttle and no resort fee. After researching that option the only issue is most of those shuttles only run 1 particular time in the morning and 1 particular time in the evening. The times they run just wouldn’t work for me because I love park opening. Plus there was one time the shuttle picked up from hotel 2 hours after a certain park opened. So I then thought maybe take a Lyft to DS then take a bus to any resort and then bus to theme park. However when I figure in the cost of Lyft for 7-8 days to and from DS that could possibly be an extra $250 to $300 for that. Now I’m thinking again why not take that $250 to $300 and apply that to a hotel at DS even with resort fee then we can just walk to the buses at DS or even better a shuttle to park. I need to figure out the best value with less headache and frustration. I’m just so confused now lol. 🤷‍♀️ I’m seeing numbers, rooms, amenities and such every time I close my eyes. 😂
if my DH thought USO was awesome I want him to be completely blown away with Disney. 😀

So you understand there are no buses from Disney Springs TO the parks. You would always have to take a bus to hotel then wait for the next bus to a park. As Disney even says when you transfer or depend on Disney transportation add at least 1.5 hours to your travel time. I've experienced this on target and even longer.

Per Disney Springs website they open at 10 am and buses to resorts start then. With their posted bus schedule you would not make park opening.

You can walk to Saratoga Springs Resort and get on a bus there but know that there are many who do that in addition to the Saratoga guests, buffer extra wait time for buses.

There were buses FROM parks to Disney Springs later in day and evening. It is to encourage you to spend money at DS rather than go back to your hotels at night. It does not state that here but that may to discourage folks reading from parking at Disney Springs. So if you did uber/lyft to parks in the morning you would save money taking bus back in evening if it is running.

From Disney Springs Website:

Bus
Relax and enjoy the ride! We highly recommend using the Walt Disney World complimentary bus transportation.

• Bus service to Disney Resort hotels begins when Disney Springs opens and ends one hour after close.
  • Bus service from theme parks to Disney Springs is not available.

I would never stay off site unless I had a car or the budget for uber/lyft.

Last edited:
Would it help if you booked Disney hotel as room-only and bought tickets separately? Then you would pay one night’s hotel up front and remainder of hotel on checkin day. The tickets would be payable in full at time of purchase. You could even buy one ticket at a time. You would need to keep an eye on park reservation calendar to ensure you had tickets before the park filled up.

Hmm, I wouldn’t stay offsite if I didn’t have a rental car or budget to Uber/Lyft everywhere. I’ve stayed at DS hotels before without a car pre-covid and transportation wasn’t a problem, but I have heard that their shuttle busses have changed since covid so I’d look into that. Honestly though if I was trying to wow a first timer at wdw, I’d wait a year save more money and stay onsite. The extra money you save can also go towards special dining reservations or other experiences to really wow your husband with his first wdw trip.

Would it help if you booked Disney hotel as room-only and bought tickets separately? Then you would pay one night’s hotel up front and remainder of hotel on checkin day. The tickets would be payable in full at time of purchase. You could even buy one ticket at a time. You would need to keep an eye on park reservation calendar to ensure you had tickets before the park filled up.
Didn’t think about room only reservation. Will definitely look into that 👀.
Thanks 😊

All the Disney on site hotels are getting pretty full. We were looking at a trip in October. NOTHING available at most places, and not even places like Pop Century or the All Stars. We ended up reserving a Cabin at Ft Wilderness. I don't know how that will be. Never used their cabins. Never even BEEN to Ft Wilderness.

All the Disney on site hotels are getting pretty full. We were looking at a trip in October. NOTHING available at most places, and not even places like Pop Century or the All Stars. We ended up reserving a Cabin at Ft Wilderness. I don't know how that will be. Never used their cabins. Never even BEEN to Ft Wilderness.
We stayed in the Cabins on our very first visit. They’ve rebuilt and redesigned them since, but the most important thing we remember is how long it took to get to the parks if you rode the bus, because first you have to take the internal bus, then you can get on the bus to the parks. Even taking the boat to MK was preceded by taking the internal bus. So we drove to parks most of the time. Other than that, we actually enjoyed the cabins due to the kitchen and having a separate sleeping area for the kids.

Hi all 🙋‍♀️
I’m currently planning an anniversary trip for myself and DH September 14-21st. DH has never been to Disney World before 😳. We just got back from USO 1wk ago. We stayed on property there so we experienced all of the added perks. His 1st time staying on property anywhere. Needless to say, he loved ❤ that trip so much that before we even left he wanted to come back for the HHN’s. So my “Disney” brain started thinking. Why pay $$ for something we just did when we could take that money and visit Disney World. 😀 Then just take a Lyft for the Special Ticket event at Universal. So.... this is the issue that has been causing me to seriously rack my brain. We will be flying into MCO and taking a Lyft to hotel. Not able to rent a car. I’ve checked on packages for Disney with hotel and ticket packages the only issue I have with that is having the complete trip paid off by 45 days before arrival. Since this is a last minute trip a little more than 3 months away that might be a little difficult for us. So I was thinking about booking a hotel offsite that offers a shuttle and no resort fee. After researching that option the only issue is most of those shuttles only run 1 particular time in the morning and 1 particular time in the evening. The times they run just wouldn’t work for me because I love park opening. Plus there was one time the shuttle picked up from hotel 2 hours after a certain park opened. So I then thought maybe take a Lyft to DS then take a bus to any resort and then bus to theme park. However when I figure in the cost of Lyft for 7-8 days to and from DS that could possibly be an extra $250 to $300 for that. Now I’m thinking again why not take that $250 to $300 and apply that to a hotel at DS even with resort fee then we can just walk to the buses at DS or even better a shuttle to park. I need to figure out the best value with less headache and frustration. I’m just so confused now lol. 🤷‍♀️ I’m seeing numbers, rooms, amenities and such every time I close my eyes. 😂

Have you considered the $2 LYNX Bus?

You can get a 7 day unlimited pass for $16.

LYNX 111 (airport to Sea World) - LYNX 50 (Sea World to LBV to Disney Springs to WDW)

These buses usually run every 20-30 minutes from 5 AM to midnight.
Which is convenient because most offsite hotel shuttles have only 3 bus times and the last one goes back way before park close.

Now it's even easier because you can buy all tickets on the LYNX app on your phone.

We enjoyed our stay at the Hilton at Disney Springs, but it was 2 months precovid, so we could still take a bus from the parks to Disney Springs. The Hilton had a convenient bus that we rode to Hollywood Studios in the morning. Not sure how covid affected their shuttle service. So in normal times, staying at Disney Springs felt very much like staying on property, but without the theming.

Someone mentioned Ft. Wilderness, though, and we absolutely love it there. So if a cabin is in the budget, I would totally go for that.

We almost stayed off property because of an amazing teacher rate at a super close hotel. Then I called the front desk to find out the exact details (run times and frequency) of their buses - NO transportation provided by the hotel. Even if the hotel website states shuttle service, please call before you go.

We almost stayed off property because of an amazing teacher rate at a super close hotel. Then I called the front desk to find out the exact details (run times and frequency) of their buses - NO transportation provided by the hotel. Even if the hotel website states shuttle service, please call before you go.
Which hotel?

Also keep in mind that there are currently no buses FROM the theme parks to DS, so you’d have to bus to a resort and then to DS. It sounds like a lot of extra travel just to save a few bucks. Not worth it IMO.

Also keep in mind that there are currently no buses FROM the theme parks to DS, so you’d have to bus to a resort and then to DS. It sounds like a lot of extra travel just to save a few bucks. Not worth it IMO.
That was our challenge with trying off property - transportation. We ended up at a value.

https://disneyspringshotels.com/appreciation/
It was the Hilton for teachers. FYI - the dates didn't work for us but even got a teacher rate for different dates. According to their website, they mention shuttle. I'd call to check (if you need that service). Great rates!
In future you can consider the LYNX bus for the Disney Springs hotels to Disney Springs and WDW Transportation Center (These buses run from 5 am to midnight, every 20-30 mintues)

Double Tree LYNX Bus Stop (Blue Bus Stop Icon):

Hilton Disney Springs LYNX Bus Stop (Blue Bus Stop Icon):

Disney Springs LYNX Bus Stop:

Reactions: dol
OP - Which hotel did you stay in at US/IOA? If it was Royal Pacific, Hard Rock, or Portofino Bay keep in mind that you would have to book a deluxe Disney hotel for those kind of accommodations.

I'm a frequent visitor to the Orlando area and there's no way I would stay off-site at Disney without a car. We tried it once and ended up renting a car our 2nd day there. Hotel shuttles were limited and some hotels share a shuttle so even if it picks up at your hotel at a certain time it may not be going directly to the parks.

In your circumstances I would save a bit longer and stay on-site at Disney.

Now is not the time to wow anyone with a trip to Disney. Lines are long since there is no fp at this point, shows aren´t all up and running, and there are no parades or fireworks. You would be missing a lot but still paying full price.

Being a DVC owner at Saratoga, please don´t use the busses I pay for so you (everybody you) can save money without paying.

Another idea. I assume from the length of your trip, that you got USF passes. Why don't you go back to USF this fall (while everyone else is in Disney's 50th crowds), and plan on Disney next year?

Now is not the time to wow anyone with a trip to Disney. Lines are long since there is no fp at this point, shows aren´t all up and running, and there are no parades or fireworks. You would be missing a lot but still paying full price.

Being a DVC owner at Saratoga, please don´t use the busses I pay for so you (everybody you) can save money without paying.
If Disney doesn’t mind offsite guests using the transportation, I don’t see why anyone else should.

I have stayed on property for years. I’ve spent thousands of dollars on my trips, and so have most people here. Paying for a ticket to the parks gives one the right to use the transportation. I’m staying offsite this trip and will use what transportation I can to get me where I need to go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter