Should I grab this rate???

Debby7

DIS Veteran
My daughter is on the college program and can get me my late July AKL rooms for a 40% discount. I also have an annual pass. Should I grab the 211 including tax per night or will the ap rate be better? Help I have to act fast if I am going to grab those rooms. Thanks for the opinions/

Debby, don't know if this helps but my AP rate at WL in June is $185 a night tax included. Since they normally run about the same price........... HTH

What kind of room would you be getting at that price? Standard view? Pool view? Savannah view? Is it a regular room or a deluxe room? It's hard to say if it's a good rate without knowing what type of room it is since Savannah costs more than Pool which costs more than Standard view.

If you would be paying $211 with tax, then your pre-tax rate would be $189. Without the 40% discount, the rack rate would be $315. The only AKL room with a rack rate of $315 is a Pool View in Peak Season (2/17-4/17). Is that how this particular discount works: they apply the discount to the Peak Season rate for that room type, regardless of the season in which you are going to be there?

Assuming that's the case, I don't have any data on Pool View rooms, but I can give you some info on Savannah View room rates which generally go for about $60 more per night than Pool View rooms.

Late July is value season at AKL. I stayed at AKL in late January, which is also value season. I booked a Savannah View room at an AP rate of $151 before tax ($168.xx with tax). Rack rate for that room in Value Season is $280, so that AP rate was a 46% discount off rack rate.

The currently available AP rates are a fixed $100 off rack rate. If the same discount is offered in late July, a Savannah View room would be $180 before tax, ($200.70 with tax). That works out to a discount of around 35%.

Assuming you are being offered a Pool View room for $211, then either of these two AP rates is a better deal than that, and could get you a Savannah room, one step above Pool View in price. If you preferred Pool View, then you would save even more money, assuming an AP rate is offered for your dates.

Hope this helps and somebody please double check my math -- it's much too late in the day to be doing something like this!

Last summer during Value Season the AP rate was $85 off at Deluxe resorts; $100 off during regular season~

I think the obvious answer is, if you can cancel it without penalty, BOOK IT NOW! Since you don't know for sure what discounts will be available then, or if you'll be able to get one at all, then you should certainly book now, IF you can cancel later if something better comes along.

Now that I think about it, if you want to stay at AKL at that time, you might as well book now regardless of the cancellation policy. 40% off is a good discount compared to just about anything. As LisaS pointed out, 40% off is better than the current AP discount and with the big CELEBRATION going on, there's no reason to think the discounts will get any better.

So in summary, if you can cancel it, BOOK NOW! If you can't cancel it, book now anyway.

BostonRob said:
Now that I think about it, if you want to stay at AKL at that time, you might as well book now regardless of the cancellation policy. 40% off is a good discount compared to just about anything. As LisaS pointed out, 40% off is better than the current AP discount and with the big CELEBRATION going on, there's no reason to think the discounts will get any better.

So in summary, if you can cancel it, BOOK NOW! If you can't cancel it, book now anyway.
I agree that if you can cancel later if a better deal comes along, you might want to grab this now just in case, once you know what type of room you would be getting. The wierd thing is, even though the stated discount of 40% sounds better than the current $100/35%, the final price might be HIGHER if this turns out to be a Standard View room. Just doing the math, it appears to that this is a room with a rack rate of $315 pre tax, but the ore-tax rates during Value season are:

Standard
Standard View $199
Water or Pool View $225
Savannah View $280

Deluxe
Water or Pool View $285
Savannah View $340

so what room type would you get for your discounted price of $211 with tax?

Sorry , I forgot to mention that that the $211 including tax is for a savannah room. I currently have a reservation with DU waiting for an AP rate( figured they could watch the rates and scramble for the AP rate better than I can) I guess my basic question is will the @211 including tax fpr a savannah room for three adults, July 21-24 be better than the AP rate for the same room at the same time? Thanks again !

Debby7 said:
Sorry , I forgot to mention that that the $211 including tax is for a savannah room. I currently have a reservation with DU waiting for an AP rate( figured they could watch the rates and scramble for the AP rate better than I can) I guess my basic question is will the @211 including tax fpr a savannah room for three adults, July 21-24 be better than the AP rate for the same room at the same time? Thanks again !
Johnsonet reports that last summer's Value season AP rate was a flat $85 off rack rate so assuming they offer that same rate again this year, the math goes this way:

Savannah View room, Value Season: $280
Add'l charge for 3rd adult: $25 (I think that's what they charge)
Total: $305
Estimated AP discount: $85
Discounted total (pre-tax): $220
Disc'd total with 11.5% tax: $245.30

If you got a flat $100 off with the AP, your total would be $228.57. If you get the deal I got in January, your total would be $196.24. The problem is, who knows if they will offer an AP discount and if they do, what it will be. So you have to decide if you want to grab a sure thing or gamble on a great AP rate. As BostonRob suggests, if you can cancel this room later if an even better AP deal becomes available, then you aren't risking anything by grabbing this deal now.

Debby7 said:
My daughter is on the college program and can get me my late July AKL rooms for a 40% discount. I also have an annual pass. Should I grab the 211 including tax per night or will the ap rate be better? Help I have to act fast if I am going to grab those rooms. Thanks for the opinions/

Debby7,

My daughter is also a CP right now ~ she works at Epcot. What does your daughter do?

She has booked 2 reservations for me at the CM discount, one at the 40% and one at 50% when she stayed with me. I have an AP, but both times her CM discount was better than what I could get with my AP.
You are correct when you say that you should act fast ... CM rates are not always available and they do tend to 'go' quickly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter