Should I Get a stroller for my seven and eight year old?

An eight or ten year old who cannot walk around a zoo, amusement park or whatever should be checked by a doctor. If I had a kid who told me they were too tired after walking around to continue walking, I'd want them evaluated...and I'd want it done soon.

I guess I took the OP's comment about the children not being able to walk one mile to be an exaggeration or maybe even a misconception of how long 1 mile actually is. And since it is unlikely anyone would walk one mile without stopping to stand in line for a ride and ride that ride while touring the parks, I think she was likely underestimating the children's ability to keep up in the parks. Her later posts indicating she will not get a stroller indicate that she believes the children will be able to handle the walking. So the comments about the children needing to be evaluated by a doctor were unnecessary.

What surprises me is that parents of healthy kids that are that out of shape are themselves fit enough to push around such heavy strollers. When I was that age it was the parents who had trouble keeping up with the kids. But we played outside all day long.

I think either you are underestimating the kids or it is really time to get your kids in a fun extracurricular activity (such as dance) that will get them fit without them even realizing it.

My DS7 has flat feet and it is very painful for him to walk long distances.

I'm 33, have completely flat feet, walk very often, and play soccer 4 days a week. I've played since I was 5. Ditch the stroller. He'll be fine. Don't let it become a crutch.

Thank you for your additional posts this was a great thread! I will just ignore the nasty comments. I wont bring a stroller and take breaks and make sure they drink a lot. Thanks again!!:)

I'm glad you made your decision and are able to ignore certain comments. I'm definitely not trying to make you change your mind, but I just wanted to add that we do take a double jogger with us and our kids are around the same age as yours. However, we don't take the jogger to the parks at all during the daytime, just late at night. And it's not because our girls are lazy or anything, but it's because they love to get cozy in the jogger at night. They giggle and play games together.....and it's nice for us as parents because we can end the long day taking our time and not feeling tired and rushed, etc. Just a thought for you! Have fun!

If a kid has a physical handicap where he has trouble walking or has low endurance, then sure, but a healthy 7-8 y/o, no way. lol My youngest grand daughter has Zellweger syndrome (really one of the rare disorders under the Zellweger umbrella). She is blind, mostly deaf and has neurosheath and liver problems. Her therapists are hoping to have her sitting by herself by 2 y/o and maybe walking by 5 y/o. If she does, her gait will be unsteady. However, most kids with her condition don't live past 5 y/o. If she does make it past 5 y/o, she would need a stroller or maybe even a wheel chair in order to do WDW. Of course we would rent one for her, but my other six healthy grand children would be walking at that age. Heck, we took our 3 y/o GS to WDW Feb 4th-11th. We did rent a stroller for him, but he spent probably 50% of his time walking. By the time he is 5 y/o there is no way he'd need a stroller.

If I saw a 7 or 8 y.o. child in a stroller, I would not judge the parents because you don't know if the child has a medical condition that prevents them from walking long distances. That being said, I think that healthy children should walk. Period. Set up your expectations before you go on your trip. If necessary, prepare your children by taking walks with them to get them in shape.

This aversion to exercise contributes to obesity, Type 2 diabetes, and other health problems (Google Metabolic Syndrome). If you can't get your kids motivated to walk while they are at Disney, what can you expect from them in their day to day life? And if a healthy kid who is normally full of energy is slowing the group down because they feel that there is too much walking, then I would suspect that the child is trying to get away with something. I find most healthy, active kids have a ton of energy when it's something they want to do, not so much when it's something they perceive as tedious or boring (like walking). I say, don't let 'em get away with it. You won't be doing them any favors.

Healthy kids should do just fine with regular rest breaks and if they are kept well hydrated. :drinking: I know with my DD (age 9), the whining about walking commenced about mid-day. I'm 50 y.o. There is no way that I am in better shape than she is. This was the time of day when the park became un-fun for her.:snail: So we retreated to our hotel pool. Remarkable recovery there once she got in the pool! All of a sudden, she had more energy than ten kids put together!:jumping1:

My mother and uncle used to regularly walk upwards of ten miles a day (even more on weekends!) because they had to walk in order to get anywhere. Grandma didn't have a car, and Grandpa took the car to work. Same with my in-laws who grew up in the same generation. They were very healthy and robust. Back then, nobody ever even heard of healthy kids requiring strollers for a few miles of walking. :sunny:

Walking won't harm your kids, but inactive lifestyle will.

I think this is about expectations. If you expect your children to walk; then they will and if you think your children can't do it; they won't. It's not like they are hiking 15 miles without a rest. You walk, you ride, you wait, you eat, etc......

If you want to assure your success I would start walking around your neighborhood and increasing the distance each day to prepare them. I would make sure that they wore tennis shoes to the parks or other good walking shoes. Other people like to people watch; I like to shoe watch. I am always amazed at the choices people make and wonder how in the world they get through a trip. But they must.

Have fun and good luck. (Remember this is your trip and you have to have fun. If that means bringing a stroller do it.)

Unless there are health complications there should be no need for a stroller by that age. Even my very sedate special needs DD did not need one that long.

Start family walks today and by the time the trip is everyone will be able to handle the walking much easier.

Denise in MI

Thank you for your additional posts this was a great thread! I will just ignore the nasty comments. I wont bring a stroller and take breaks and make sure they drink a lot. Thanks again!!:)

This is a good plan. My kids are active in sports and outside play, but even they get tired at WDW. We haven't taken a stroller since my youngest DS was 5. I just listen to them. If they get tired, we take breaks, either sitting and people watching, having a snack or taking time to watch a show or parade.

One thing to remember is that it's not constant walking. You do sit down for rides, and even if they are brief rides, sometimes just a couple of minutes off your feet is enough to revive the kids and make them ready for the next thing. Honestly, my kids get the most tired at Epcot in Future World because the rides are few and far between. Other than that, they've never really complained about being that tired, but we always go at their pace.

It comes down to two options. No need to be rude about it.

1. If they are merely "wimpy" as you put it, then I'd get them walking

or

2. If its a medical condition, by all means take the steps needed to insure you and your family have a great time.

I think this is about expectations. If you expect your children to walk; then they will and if you think your children can't do it; they won't. It's not like they are hiking 15 miles without a rest. You walk, you ride, you wait, you eat, etc......

Exactly!!!

And my answer to the original question is no, heck no!

One thing to keep in mind is mental mileage vs physical mileage. Although over time the human body will get tired, mentally walking a bunch of short distances put together is easier than that same distance in a straight line. When we did campus planning at school, the experts pointed out that a long straight sidewalk seems much longer than the same distance broken up in smaller bits. So, if your mind takes the trip in smaller bits, it seems easier and shorter.

So, you don't tell your kids you are going to it's a small world from the gate. You go to the flagpole, then down to the hat shop and then the hub. Hey, let's go to the castle. Let's go to iasw. (Why don't they capitalize that attraction, btw?) 5 little trips that no one even thinks of as a walk, but, poof, you are still at the same place without any distance anxieties.

Once thing to keep in mind is mental mileage vs physical mileage. Although over time the human body will get tired, mentally walking a bunch of short distances put together is easier than that same distance in a straight line.

Yup. I used to be a tour guide & we would walk 1.25 miles per tour. Some of the guests would freak out when they heard that. Maybe 1 in 10,000 actually had trouble doing it though.

Same for HS track. At the end of organized practice, we'd be told to run 4 miles & hit the showers. That either meant 16 laps around the track, or 4 laps around the campus which included some hills. We always took the "campus laps" (hills or no hills) because it was so mind-numbing to do the 16 laps on the track :goodvibes

At 7 & 8, your kids probably don't need a stroller. Yeah, there is a lot of walking, but most normally healthy kids that age can handle it just fine. If they end up needing one you can always rent a double in the parks.
cheaper to buy a light umbrella than rent one for just 2-3 hours once you realize you want one. Kids can take turns.

For a healthy 7 and 8 yer old, I would tell you no way! That being said, you know your kids better than anyone, will they ride in a stroller or are you going to bring it for nothing? Not many of my cousins, around the same age, would ever ride in a stroller. But, like I said, you know your kids! I am debating on whether or not to bring a stroller for my DS, he will be 5 on our next trip! Good luck and hope you have a great trip!
Yes, you know your kids so ignore the folks that will flame you for using a stroller. Do what you feel is warranted.

here's a point of view with a twist, lol. i was a very active child, more than capable of walking an amusement park, but i simply could not keep up with the commando vacation schedule of my stepmother at wdw. i would have been mortified anywhere else in the world of being in a stroller, but i remember being in one until i was maybe 8 or 9 in disney world. i didn't care--i was riding in the shade, and i didn't have to get yelled at for not keeping up. i remember the last couple years i had to hang my feet over the top.... but you had to be insane to keep up with her. i was tiny and very short so that worked in my favor as well. she told me when we entered the park--if you can't keep up, you're going in a stroller--fine with me :rotfl:

there are times now when i wish i would still fit :rotfl2::lmao:

your family knows best. maybe if ask your child what they think?? don't worry about what others think--do what is good for your family and your trip!!

I am tall and walk VERY fast even at the mall. its tough for my family to keep up and it annoys me to slow down, but I do it. In a stroller (umbrella), I can haul my 7yo without issue and at my pace, without hearing whines of being tired or having to slow down to rest. I can walk all day in the parks, and have even used sit and stands without issue after ebing in the parks all day. My kids cannot keep up the pace yet, so I don't push them to. They will one day, but if you don't like my kid in a stroller, don't look. the only difference of a 7yo in a Disney rented stroller and my umbrella is that you spent the money for the day and I didn't.

I have a space for items, I never keep anything expensive or irreplaceable, so I park, and go to the ride, not worrrying about the bags.

OP.. do what YOU want.

I'm 33, have completely flat feet, walk very often, and play soccer 4 days a week. I've played since I was 5. Ditch the stroller. He'll be fine. Don't let it become a crutch.

Glad to know you are lsenquiz's 7yo kid. Not eveyone's body reacts the same way.

Only you can decide if they need one or not. Try walking and see how they do. If they need a stroller don't let anyone make you feel bad for getting them one.

I would never ask that question on these boards. People can get very passionate about it. ;) My answer.... Do what you feel is best!!! It is your vacation. You know your kids better than anyone. It's no ones business on if you have your kids in a stroller an how big they are. We had a stroller on our last visit & some rude man walked up to my husband & said something to him about it. That man is REALLY lucky he didn't say it to me & I wasn't around at the time because he would have got an earful. Like I said, it is not anyone's business!!! Do whatever will make your vacation magical for your family. :goodvibes

Glad to know you are lsenquiz's 7yo kid. Not eveyone's body reacts the same way.

Pes planus (flat feet) is not at all a serious condition, and I used myself to make that point. If you tell a kid it's ok they get pushed in a stroller because they have flat feet, you're enabling laziness.

It's like when a little kid falls down and they react the way the parents do, either freaking out or being cool. You act like your kid is disabled, he's going to do the same.

Last year my daughter was 7 and about the 2nd or 3rd day into our trip, my DH decided she needed a stroller. Turns out he really wanted it to put our backpack in. :lmao: (I didn't blame him, since that was also the day he got sick and spent the rest of our trip with horrible allergies! DD ended up getting the same thing at the end of our trip and was very thankful for the stroller.

This year we are going to go without, but if we decide that she needs it (and hopefully we are going to have lighter bags this time) then we will get it. I am guessing that she might towards the end of our trip, since it is a 10 day trip.

We are already training for WDW by walking a couple miles every day.

I have not read many posts in this thread becaue I know how the stroller threads can get, so please forgive me if I am repeating what many say. My advice is to do what is best for you and your children. See how they hold up and if they don't need one, don't rent one. If they need it, go for it. I have rented a stroller for my kids one afternoon near the end of our trip. I believe they were around 6 and 7. I don't recall any strange looks. Some people may have stared but we didn't notice because we were so busy having fun..with happy kids. The next day, they were fine with walking. Do what is best for your family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter