Should I drive thru--or around-Jacksonville??

Uncleromulus

Plain grey will be fine
Last trip we went through Jacksonville, staying on I-95. Lots of traffic and it certainly wasn't an easy drive. Reminded me of the Jones Falls EXPWY in Baltimore--and that is a pretty sorry road. I see that 295 seems to circle Jacksonville--. Is that a viable alternative, or just a long walk off a short pier?? AAA routed me directly on I-95 and I wonder if there is a reason they avoid 295??
Thanks for any help!!

AAA may have done that to give you the shortest route. I'd say it depends on what time of day you hit Jacksonville. We've done both. 295 did seem less congested and I don't recall any major roadwork being done. It might add some time to your trip, but not a huge amount.

We usually go right thru Jacksonville. Did the I295 once, and we thought it quite a bit longer and not much less congested. We drive down a couple times a year and would only go around if we were right at rush hour time.

We always blow right thru Jax on I-95. Even when there's lots and lots of traffic, it seems to keep moving at a good clip.

First time I drove thru at 2 in the afternoon...nearly got sideswiped...will never drive through JAX during the day except on weekends. Went around after that...it is a long ways around but traffic moves quickly and is not bumper to bumper like through town.

If it is late evening, night or weekend then I have driven through town with no probs.

Thanks for the replies!! Ou r"Jacksonville day" will be Saturday morning, around 9:00 AM or so.. Sounds like it might be sort of OK then. It's just such an awful piece of road--not well marked and I recall you almost have to come to a complete stop to make a turn to keep on I-95 South. I wonder how the "locals" deal with that road during rush hour--???

We always drive straight thur Jacksonville...never had any problems. Although there is alot of construction going on still...the traffic keeps up at a pretty good speed. I can't seeing getting off to go all the way around, I would think that takes up more time, but I've never done that so I don't really know. It's just way easier to stay on 95 and zip right thru.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter