• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Should I buy an AP?

collegejunkie

DIS Veteran
With the new promotion, you get 13 months instead of 12, plus a bunch of added discounts for the 45th celebration. I am going in November of this year and December of 2017. If I get the AP, I will also try for a long weekend in January, March, and maybe October. Of course, this means increased overall cost because the pass is so much and I'll be adding flights and hotel for those other times as well. I suppose I'm asking if it is worth it. I live in New York.

As an aside, is the AP to the day or to the month? If I first use it November 30 of this year, with the 13 month promotion, is it good until December 30 of next year? Or will it count as November then be done next December?

As has been noted in previous threads, this might not be the right group to ask if you want a fair and unbiased answer.

It is pretty easy math to see in the AP makes sense. Two one week long trips will do it. Add in a couple of short trips and it is a clear winner.

The AP runs one year from the day you activated them. With the 13 month offer you should be able to plan a November and then a December trip.

Good luck with you planning!

As has been noted in previous threads, this might not be the right group to ask if you want a fair and unbiased answer.

It is pretty easy math to see in the AP makes sense. Two one week long trips will do it. Add in a couple of short trips and it is a clear winner.

The AP runs one year from the day you activated them. With the 13 month offer you should be able to plan a November and then a December trip.

Good luck with you planning!

Is activation purchase date or first use date? I'm getting some mixed answers from friends (some are CMs, too, so it's even more confusing!)

Is activation purchase date or first use date? I'm getting some mixed answers from friends (some are CMs, too, so it's even more confusing!)

It's the activation date.. You have to stop into guest relations or a ticket booth to activate an annual pass before you can use it. That date is your renewal date. Most do it on their way into the first park but some also do it on their travel day and then the first day into the park is the following. Basically when you ask disney to activate it (also referred to as turn in the certificate) that will be your renewal date.

The new 13 month offer in this case would be the activation date + 1 month for your first renewal.

It's the activation date.. You have to stop into guest relations or a ticket booth to activate an annual pass before you can use it. That date is your renewal date. Most do it on their way into the first park but some also do it on their travel day and then the first day into the park is the following. Basically when you ask disney to activate it (also referred to as turn in the certificate) that will be your renewal date.

So even if I pay for it now, I cannot use it to book FP+ for my upcoming November trip because it needs to be activated in person when I'm there? Would it make sense to buy a regular ticket to book FP+ then upgrade it to an AP in person?

So even if I pay for it now, I cannot use it to book FP+ for my upcoming November trip because it needs to be activated in person when I'm there? Would it make sense to buy a regular ticket to book FP+ then upgrade it to an AP in person?

You can book fastpasses with normal 30 and 60 days rules after you buy the AP. You don't need to activate it first.

My rule with the AP has always been is it less than tickets? If so, I buy it, if not no go. I don't take into account any kind of discount since they tend to be fluid and you never know what's going to be included. Simple math for me, I always buy park hoppers so that is factored in. I always go to the parks arrival and departure day so that is factored in as well. I factor in only known trips and the amount of days for those, I don't do any guessing as to if I had it I might do this or that. I don't buy MM and could care less about it, was actually a little upset when AP prices went up but look you get the added benefit of MM and you get it whether you want it or not.

I am going in November of this year and December of 2017.

Add up the tickets for those two PLANNED trips. Is it more than the AP would be? Then buy the AP. Is it less than the AP would be? Then really think about those extra trips and how solid they are, and if you want to go and can easily afford all the extra time off and airfare and hotels and food etc.

As an aside, is the AP to the day or to the month? If I first use it November 30 of this year, with the 13 month promotion, is it good until December 30 of next year? Or will it count as November then be done next December?

To the date. If you activate it (which I would do on the day I start to use it) on November 30 you will be able to go into a park on December 30 of the following year.

Great information in here. I think I'm going to go for it. With it, I'm going to do trips in January, March, October, and December to really get solid use out of it. I would have gone other places instead during those times, but I think it might be relaxing to have the luxury to do things more slowly and not worry about not getting on rides and so on. Thank you!

Great information in here. I think I'm going to go for it. With it, I'm going to do trips in January, March, October, and December to really get solid use out of it. I would have gone other places instead during those times, but I think it might be relaxing to have the luxury to do things more slowly and not worry about not getting on rides and so on. Thank you!

Yes! If you are typically the person who has to pack everything in then having the AP and taking those extra trips will be a breath of fresh air.

We were at Epcot today and the line for FEA was 120 minutes at one point. I shrugged and told myself I could wait until we have a 60 day FP+ window (this was just a day trip) to ride, shrugged, and kept walking.

It's a whole different park experience when you know you'll be back very soon and can take a step back and enjoy. Even if this is the only year you do it, I think you'll be glad you were able to experience the parks like that. :)

So if i buy an AP now for the 1 month bonus and lock in a price, its ok if i dont activate it until say September 2017?

Yes! If you are typically the person who has to pack everything in then having the AP and taking those extra trips will be a breath of fresh air.

We were at Epcot today and the line for FEA was 120 minutes at one point. I shrugged and told myself I could wait until we have a 60 day FP+ window (this was just a day trip) to ride, shrugged, and kept walking.

It's a whole different park experience when you know you'll be back very soon and can take a step back and enjoy. Even if this is the only year you do it, I think you'll be glad you were able to experience the parks like that. :)

This is exactly what I am looking forward to! And, I lucked out and got FEA even though I booked at less than 60 days! Very excited to take i easy and enjoy my holiday trip by taking in the holiday fun :)

You could also purchase discounted tickets from a company like Parksavers and upgrade to the annual pass once you get there. They are currently having a buy 4 days get 3 free so you could book a weeks worth of FPs. Also, the would allow you to break up the payment. It would save you around $50 since that will use the difference between the gate price for your ticket and the AP price.

As for traveling from NY, if you watch airfare prices you will be able to pop down fairly easily. The other thing is that there does seem to be a correlation between cheap flights and AP discount rooms. I got flights on United EWR-MCO for a Th-M long weekend in January for $147 RT!

Have fun!!

You could also purchase discounted tickets from a company like Parksavers and upgrade to the annual pass once you get there. They are currently having a buy 4 days get 3 free so you could book a weeks worth of FPs. Also, the would allow you to break up the payment. It would save you around $50 since that will use the difference between the gate price for your ticket and the AP price.

So you can upgrade tickets and still get the extra month free?

Do I pick up my magic bands there if I get them that day?

If you are staying onsite they will send you magic bands whether you have tickets or not, every guest gets them. For the AP bands, you will have to personalize them and get then for your next trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter