Shots & Meds For International Travel

(I think I got two mosquito bites and one tse tse fly bite - at home mosquitos LOVE me and they are much more vicious than in Tanzania).

During our last trip to Rwanda I did not get one mosquito bite. When I arrived home, just walking from the car to my front door I had six bites. :rolleyes:

I did not budget enough money for this! I am taking my family of 4 to London (3 days) and South Africa (9 days in Kruger area) for a safari. I did my research and knew we needed malaria medication and how much it cost, but I wasn't sure what else we needed. I contacted our doctors who referred me to the Travel Clinic at our Publix. Publix was excellent and took care of everything, but I was not prepared for the cost. Everything they recommended was seconded by our doctors and by the CDC. We ended up with malaria meds, traveler's diarrhea meds, typhoid shots (all of us), Hep A shots (DH and me) and an MMR shot (DH).

It was $433 after insurance and a coupon!!!!! Luckily we were able to pay for it with our HSA account, so it didn't cut into our vacation money, and we got $60 in Publix gift cards because they were having a vaccination promotion. I just wanted to put this out there so other travelers will be aware and budget appropriately. In all my research and reading on travel forums, this cost was never discussed.

The Hep A and MMR could of been done thru your Dr who could of run it thru your ins.

The Hep A and MMR could of been done thru your Dr who could of run it thru your ins.
Luckily the Publix travel clinic did get the scrip from our doctor and used our insurance. The $433 was after insurance. Ins paid for most of some things but had big copays on others. It was really hard to estimate until the pharmacist ran everything through our ins company.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter