• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Shorten Trip?

clcpb

Earning My Ears
Hi! Planning our first trip to WDW for early May with a 4 yo and 1.5 yo. We are planning on 1 day at AK (4 yo lovessss elephants) and 2 days at MK with a pool/resort day on the day we fly in (flight lands at 9am) and Disney springs on the day we fly out (flight departs at 8pm). Staying on property for the last night is bananas expensive, so we are considering shortening our stay… this would mean we would need to do AK on the day we land or MK day #2 on the day we fly out. Are we crazy for thinking to change flights or should we just suck it up and pay the expensive hotel costs for that extra night? We don’t expect this to be our only trip, so we know we won’t see/do everything, but we also don’t want to make our kids miserable by going too much at the parks… Thanks!!

Personally speaking, I'd pay the extra if it is a luxury you can afford. However, I have had fantastic short trips, once with only three nights, one park day and even it was loads of fun.

IMHO, it's what you choose to make of it either way. Both are good plans.

Is there an option to move to a lesser expensive hotel for the last night? Not sure if you're staying onsite or offsite.

Is there an option to move to a lesser expensive hotel for the last night? Not sure if you're staying onsite or offsite.
There are less expensive options available, but we are trying to stay close to MK since we realize the kiddos will be very tired and are thinking waiting in lines after fireworks for transportation won’t be good for them, us, or anyone around us. :)

If you think it is a considerable savings, I'd do MK on your departure day. With the savings, someone could take the 4 year old on Caring for Giants to get more elephant time. That is Disney math!

I would not shorten the trip. but if it is important to you then I would go to MK the day you fly in, spend one full day at both MK and AK and do a pool day the day you fly out. Skip DS.
Or you could do MK the day you fly in and the next day then do a pool day and go to AK the day you fly out. The break in the middle would keep the kids - and yourselves - fresh and AK is a shorterday park for rides

There are less expensive options available, but we are trying to stay close to MK since we realize the kiddos will be very tired and are thinking waiting in lines after fireworks for transportation won’t be good for them, us, or anyone around us. :)
You will be waiting in lines after fireworks regardless of where you stay. Unless you can walk to Contemporary, (or GF although longer walk) there will be lines for all forms of transportation after fireworks.

You will be waiting in lines after fireworks regardless of where you stay. Unless you can walk to Contemporary, (or GF although longer walk) there will be lines for all forms of transportation after fireworks.
Thank you! We are staying at the Contemporary. We decided to just pay the extra money for the last night and keep the trip as scheduled. Trying to make the first trip as easy as possible since we don’t know what we are doing. 😊 thanks for the advice!!

So you are thinking about changing from 4 nights to 3 nights?

We just got back from a fun 3 night 3 park days trip but if we weren’t pressed for time would’ve much preferred 4 nights. The difference comes down to how well we’re able to enjoy our park time (and the condition we return home). The value of the extra night is breathing room to recuperate. Traveling can be tiring, so paired with a park day it catches up to us the following day. It’s just more pleasant overall to not constantly be running.

So that’s what I would weigh for whether the extra expense is worth it or not. If you’re already planning lighter park hours then it may not matter as much because you’ll have time to relax and unwind. But if you’re going go go go? There’s the risk of being too tired to fully enjoy the park experience. We’ve had that happen a few times where being tired distracts from fireworks or late park hours. It’s more fun when you still have a quarter tank of gas left 😁

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter