Short trip decision, contemporary or grand floridian?

puertorican00676

Mouseketeer
Looking to clear my thought. We (my husband, nephews 19 and 16, and me) are doing a short weekend trip to do the very mery christmas party, I reserved a contemporary tower bay lake view room. But for $100 extra, could do a garden view room in the Grand Floridian.
Being a short trip should we value more the convenience of the contemporary? Or the more complete resort experience of the grand? We want to have at least a day park hopping and the day of the party, just relax during the day. Should I stay put or move it to the Grand Floridian

Contemporary hands down. You can walk back to your resort after the party.

I don't think you can make a "wrong" decision here. If it were just you and DH, I'd pick GF, but with the boys they probably would prefer the Contemporary.

Looking to clear my thought. We (my husband, nephews 19 and 16, and me) are doing a short weekend trip to do the very mery christmas party, I reserved a contemporary tower bay lake view room. But for $100 extra, could do a garden view room in the Grand Floridian.
Being a short trip should we value more the convenience of the contemporary? Or the more complete resort experience of the grand? We want to have at least a day park hopping and the day of the party, just relax during the day. Should I stay put or move it to the Grand Floridian

I'd go with the GF. We've never stayed at the CR but have visited many times over the years, and I prefer the theme/decor and atmosphere of the GF.

I have stayed at both and enjoyed them for different reasons. I think for a short stay having the convenience to walk to MK I would pick CR. You cannot go wrong with either choice. Have a great trip!

Being able to walk back to CR after the party is priceless. We did this very thing two years ago. GF is lovely, but for this trip, I vote CR.

I have stayed at both and enjoyed them for different reasons. I think for a short stay having the convenience to walk to MK I would pick CR. You cannot go wrong with either choice. Have a great trip!

Agree with this. We love both, and GF is probably our family's favorite resort, if price were no object, and we are buying at BLT. But -- given that your trip is to go to the party, I think it would be invaluable to be able to walk when you want to. There were a few times we stayed until park close at MK and were at BLT/CR, and it was so nice to have a leisurely, peaceful walk back while the line for the monorail was backed all the way down the ramp.

I agree that you can't go wrong.

However, if you just want to relax during the day of the party, think hard about how you want to relax. The GF offers, IMO, a better resort experience for just hanging about (better pools, shops, etc.). The main draw, to me, of CR is proximity to MK if you have young kids and a MK view if you're older. But if your relaxing means you might resort hop around the monorail and go beyond your hotel property, then CR is fine.

I'm not as concerned about the walk to CR after the party. I've been to a few MNSSHPs and have had to take a bus for two (staying at YC and POR) and the monorail for one (Poly). Honestly, I was still so amped up after the party...even leaving at close...that the transportation back to the hotel didn't bother me. Didn't have to wait long for a bus either time, and the monorail was quick the night we went back to Poly.

I would personally just have no trouble grabbing the GF without a second thought. It's just so very beautiful! However, the boys might prefer the Contemporary, (You might want to ask them), and for a short stay, the ability to walk to MK can't be beat. That said, the Contemporary is just not for me.

I agree that you can't go wrong.

However, if you just want to relax during the day of the party, think hard about how you want to relax. The GF offers, IMO, a better resort experience for just hanging about (better pools, shops, etc.). The main draw, to me, of CR is proximity to MK if you have young kids and a MK view if you're older. But if your relaxing means you might resort hop around the monorail and go beyond your hotel property, then CR is fine.

I'm not as concerned about the walk to CR after the party. I've been to a few MNSSHPs and have had to take a bus for two (staying at YC and POR) and the monorail for one (Poly). Honestly, I was still so amped up after the party...even leaving at close...that the transportation back to the hotel didn't bother me. Didn't have to wait long for a bus either time, and the monorail was quick the night we went back to Poly.

Thanks for that perspective of how we want to relax. With so much to do and move around in some short days, only make sense to relax in a serene environment like the Grand. Think we will pick that up, and then just walk or boat to the Poly for Trader Sam. We did it in Disneyland several years back and it was so much fun and good food. Thank everyone for your ideas! We really want to make it special!

Haven't stayed at GF, but I'd pick CR. It's the first stop back from MK on Monorail. Wave of American Flavors is the best breakfast buffet in Disney. Other hotels are on the way to MK, so much faster to go to GF for dinner at Citricos from CR than to go from GF to CR for California Grill. Same for Poly visits.

GF is also convenient. You are one monorail stop away from the MK and the first to be dropped off from the small boat back from MK. Can't be easier than that! I'd choose GF for sure!

I would stay at The Poly! But GF is great too and you can walk to The Poly for dinner and Dole whip

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter