• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Short Dining reviews from our recent 9-day trip

bilnsheldodisney

Mouseketeer
We spent a blissfull 9 days at DW starting Aug 9. We had really wonderful luck and had mostly great food. Some quick thoughts:

Rose & Crown - Was just average and we will skip it next time. We had a wonderful meal there 2 years ago and this visit was disappointing. The scotch egg was the highlight - so tasty! My son said his burger was outstanding. He just got it with cheese and no other toppings and was happy as can be. The fries were perfect. Hubby had the bangers and mash - he thought it was ok. I had the veggie shephard's pie. It was very heavy on the cabbage which I tasted for several lingering hours. I would not order it again. The dining room was only about half full and the a/c was not nearly high enough.

Sci-Fi - Such a fun, unique experience. I would rate the food as good. I had the chicken salad. No idea what was really in it because it was too dark to see but it had a nice flavor ith a little kick. Huby and son bith got burgers which they rated as good. This restaurant was pretty full. It is impossible to talk to each other here but the movies keep you entertained. It was warmish in here too. We asked the waiter if they could turn down the a/c and he did and it cooled down.

Biergarten - food was good and plentiful, great selection. The dumplings are OMG - I could just eat those and be happy. We had pretty terrible seats for the show viewing, but sat with a nice family from New England and had a good time chatting with them.

Via Napoli - was wonderful! We got the Quattro Formagio Pizza. Delicious - son said it was the best pizza he ever had. We got it with the side salad and the arancini (rice balls in meat sauce). The salad was light and fresh and my son loved the rice balls - but really who doesn't?? We could not have been happier with this meal.

Hoop De Doo Review - Third time here and this time was great again. This show is hilarious and the meal is really good. You start off with a nice run of the mill salad with an italian dressing and corn bread which was yummy. Dinner is all-you-can-eat fried chicken (a close second to 50s Prime Time) and ribs with garlic mashed potatoes and corn. The strawberry short cake was wonderful. Would do this again and again. Was a full house. They only celebrate birthdays and anniversaries that happen on the actual date of the show which was a bummer but we still loved it.

Chefs de France - Changed to this place after reading terrible reviews of Mexico and so glad we did. The frencg bread they serve as a starter may be the best bread I have ever eaten. I got the macaroni and cheese - it is made with gruyere. So creamy and delicious. Son both got steak which he liked although he thought the lemon butter was a little overpowering. Might want to get that on the side. Hubby had the short ribs and was in heaven.

50s Prime Time -Aunt Liz knows how to make fried chicken. Try it - you will love it - almost as good as my moms. Our waiter was good but not into the whole theming which we really like.

Be Our Guest - Such a treat. This restaurent is so beautiful. The fench onion soup is truly wonderful. Classic. We all got steak. Garlic aoli to dip the fries in was surprisingly good. Steaks done to perfection. Got the grey stuff for dessert - was just okay. Expensive but worth it in my opinion.

Teppan Edo - This has continually been our favorite and this trip was no exception. Tried the beer flight and tofu appetizer this time. Wow - these were both great. They fry the tofu right on the grill - I could eat that every day. Our chef was a treat and I have not one complaint about the food. Steak and shrimp with veggies and noodles and brown rice - yes, please!!

Also - try the frozen Kirin in Japan at Epcot. Its the BEST drink on a super hot day.

Sorry this got so long!

Thank you so much for the great review. We are doing 5 of the places you went, Biergarten, 50s, Sci Fi, Chefs de France, and Via Napoli. Was debating if we should do Rose & Garden but only food I was interested was Scottish Egg so I might just get that at the pub instead of doing a meal. Great to hear you like Via Napoli. Been reading alot of negative remarks on the pizza that they weren't cook in the center.

Just realized that I forgot one lol

Raglan Road Brunch - great band and Irish Dance show, strange food. Son's pancakes were downright bizarre - a sour flavor with creme fraiche. He didn't like them at all. They were nice enought to remove them from the bill without us even asking. I got the 3 times a boxty. I enjoyed it but it was heavy on the potato cakes which were just okay. The gammon ham was amazing. Hubby and FIL got the full irish breakfast which they both though was good - great amount of food. MIL got the Eggs en Cocotte which she enjoyed but said it was odd. Sort of a cheese soup with hard boiled eggs in it with toast to dip in it.

Great reviews, for us a trip to WDW involves a lot of eating!! We also found Raglan Road a little odd and we like most foods. Sounds like a great trip with family, thanks for taking the time to share!

(FWIW, we love San Angel, ditch the reviews and give it a try sometime ;)

Great reviews! Interesting about the Hoop Dee Doo and birthdays. I was there on my actual birthday last year so I did raise my hand, but I highly doubt all the people raising their hands were having an actual birthday. Two years ago we went the day after my nephews birthday. The waitress happen to overhear us say something about it (he was not wearing a button, we only celebrate day of) and she got him a button and called them over when they did the birthday celebrating so I'm very surprised to hear they changed this.

Great reviews! I have at least half of them on my list for our trip and I'm super excited! I love reading peoples reviews. Glad you had a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter