Shore excursions in Skagway

halfmonkey

DIS Veteran
I've been doing some research to what there is to do in Skagway and we haven't really found anything that interest us or if something did interest us, it was too expensive to book 7 people. It seems that the most popular thing to do is take the train ride through White Pass and that seems to be an all day thing. It looks cool to go through a scenic train ride but it also seems like a very long ride. I was really hoping to go crabbing for King Crab but it looks like that's only available in Ketchikan and we're not traveling there on our July 5th cruise on the Ovation of the Seas.

I did find salmon fishing as an option although none of the options through RCCL showed salmon fishing as an option. I found this just by doing some internet searches. Has anybody done salmon fishing while in Skagway and if so, what did you think? Worth the time and money? We've never been fishing and catching King Salmon while in Alaska seems like the next best thing to do if you can't go crabbing for Alaskan King Crab.

The White Pass train ride only takes a few hours. We took the train to the Denver trail, hiked for a few hours and caught the return train. We were back in town by 1pm. The trail was amazing, like a scen out of Lord of the Rings. Other members of the family just took the train up and back and enjoyed it. We had another group that tried the helicopter ride, but it was cancelled due to weather. They ended up at the sled dog camp and held puppies. So, there.s that.

I've been doing some research to what there is to do in Skagway and we haven't really found anything that interest us or if something did interest us, it was too expensive to book 7 people. It seems that the most popular thing to do is take the train ride through White Pass and that seems to be an all day thing. It looks cool to go through a scenic train ride but it also seems like a very long ride. I was really hoping to go crabbing for King Crab but it looks like that's only available in Ketchikan and we're not traveling there on our July 5th cruise on the Ovation of the Seas.

I did find salmon fishing as an option although none of the options through RCCL showed salmon fishing as an option. I found this just by doing some internet searches. Has anybody done salmon fishing while in Skagway and if so, what did you think? Worth the time and money? We've never been fishing and catching King Salmon while in Alaska seems like the next best thing to do if you can't go crabbing for Alaskan King Crab.
Hi there. We will be on the same cruise as you and your family. We will have 13 in our family. In Skagway we will be using Tour of 98 for a trip to Caribou crossing. You can do the train and return and walk around the town of Skagway. Town is quaint and feels like you in the old west from the 1800's. You can also walk around town and find multiple tour operators to do excursions.

Sorry, I don't know anything about fishing - but when we're in Skagway this year we're renting a minivan for the 6 of us and doing our own trip instead of the train - as 6 people on the train was just too expensive.

Sorry, I don't know anything about fishing - but when we're in Skagway this year we're renting a minivan for the 6 of us and doing our own trip instead of the train - as 6 people on the train was just too expensive.
We were there in September and rented a Jeep. It was only the two of us but it was great! We drove up to Emerald Lake and were going to go a bit further but decided to turn around. It was at that point we saw our only bear of the trip just on the side of the road. Awesome experience. It was nice to be able to explore at our own pace. Whatever you decide, it will be awesome!

We booked a 7 hour beyond skagway tour with pet the pups. It was an amazing day. My kids still talk about it.

We will be on Ovation this summer too. We plan to book all our excursions through private companies, or just go off on our own. 10 years ago we did an excursion through Royal.... ride up on the train, then a bus tour on the way back including a stop at Caribou Crossing for lunch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter