Shooting after Super Bowl Parade

Gotta say Times Square isn’t as locked down as you think either. 2 years ago my son and I made it all the way into a pen with no one checking us. Now obviously we weren’t suspicious in any way, but that was also the year they were severely restricting attendance and requiring proof of vaccination. We did have our vaccination cards, but as we weren’t exactly supposed to be there no one checked. We were actually in line for the pens but they cut it off about 50 people ahead of us. We were locked out of the “frozen zone” so I quickly made a dinner reservation at a restaurant inside the zone. We went to the baracade and told them we had a dinner and they let us right through, none of the checks the people had to go through to get into pens. Remember there are multiple hotels in the frozen zone also, all those people are inside unchecked. Anyway we did plan to go to the restaurant, but wandered around first eventually making our way up to one of the front pens right by the ball. We stood outside it for 15 minutes shocked that no one came along and told us to move on. Eventually a cop came by and after chatting with her she actually opened the pen and let us in. I was so glad for our good fortune that night, but I’ll never again really consider that any situation like that is truly “safe” again, there are so many people no matter what they do some will sneak by…

Very sad for the people of KC tonight, just trying to have some fun and celebrate

Gotta say Times Square isn’t as locked down as you think either. 2 years ago my son and I made it all the way into a pen with no one checking us. Now obviously we weren’t suspicious in any way, but that was also the year they were severely restricting attendance and requiring proof of vaccination. We did have our vaccination cards, but as we weren’t exactly supposed to be there no one checked. We were actually in line for the pens but they cut it off about 50 people ahead of us. We were locked out of the “frozen zone” so I quickly made a dinner reservation at a restaurant inside the zone. We went to the baracade and told them we had a dinner and they let us right through, none of the checks the people had to go through to get into pens. Remember there are multiple hotels in the frozen zone also, all those people are inside unchecked. Anyway we did plan to go to the restaurant, but wandered around first eventually making our way up to one of the front pens right by the ball. We stood outside it for 15 minutes shocked that no one came along and told us to move on. Eventually a cop came by and after chatting with her she actually opened the pen and let us in. I was so glad for our good fortune that night, but I’ll never again really consider that any situation like that is truly “safe” again, there are so many people no matter what they do some will sneak by…

Sorry to insult you, but maybe you and your son just don't give off "mass shooter" vibes? :lmao:You weren't treated suspiciously as you both obviously were just "ordinary" tourists. :duck:

You're upset because you weren't treated with suspicion? First, you're female, right? There has only been one mass shooter in the U.S. that was a female. Even that is debate-able as the person started off and was male for many years, and only became female a little while before the shooting.

Second, you, yourself said you didn't do anything suspicious. You didn't try to sneak into a pen when no one was looking or around. You stood and waited. You, nor your son didn't look or act scared or look nervously around while you both were waiting for the moment to do something bad. If you think there weren't cameras everywhere, watching what everyone is doing, you're wrong. The local news loves to show us crime videos, showing the different perps in the act. There are surveillance cameras from every angle in Times Square.

Third, you chatted up a cop. Only Robert DeNiro or John Malkovich playing characters in some assassin movies chat with cops right before then doing a mass shooting or spree shooting.

I'm sure the cop you spoke to was able to size you and your son up before letting you in the pen. THAT'S their job, sizing up thousands of people they encounter every day. Checking with a quick glance to access if there is a bulge in your coat as you were trying to conceal a gun, or if the coat was hanging down heavily on one side, due to the weight of a gun in the pocket. Did your son have an odd expression on his face as he tried to act casual? She could already access you both weren't dangerous, nor suspicious? She was right. Right?

As for checking for vaccinations, they are COPS, not health checkers. And you were outdoors. We were told in NY at that time that it is much harder to catch Covid outside. (That turns out not to be true.)

That said. No, you shouldn't feel totally "safe" at high profile events. In the times we live in, it's everyone's duty to keep their eyes and ears open for something suspicious or doesn't seem right. The police can't be and aren't everywhere. They can't do their jobs if they aren't alerted to danger. We have a quote here in NYC, (not sure if it's elsewhere too,) "If you see something [suspicious] say something [to a cop or someone who can check it out.]"

Ah don't worry ... Some people will send thoughts and prayers and that will make everything better.
What the heck kind of response is that? Are you looking to pick a fight with someone on an internet board? Maybe that is all most of us can do. And I for one do believe good thoughts and definitely prayers can make a difference. What exactly are YOU doing to make things better?

What the heck kind of response is that? Are you looking to pick a fight with someone on an internet board? Maybe that is all most of us can do. And I for one do believe good thoughts and definitely prayers can make a difference. What exactly are YOU doing to make things better?
Lots of folks say "thoughts and prayers" like they say "thank you for your service"
Most don't actually mean it - its just words.

True. Unfortunately it became a bit of a meme in some places. Something "famous" people and politicians say but don't actually mean. So when you hear it, it seems empty, even when people truly mean it.
Most people can tell the difference.

Sorry to insult you, but maybe you and your son just don't give off "mass shooter" vibes? :lmao:You weren't treated suspiciously as you both obviously were just "ordinary" tourists. :duck:

You're upset because you weren't treated with suspicion? First, you're female, right? There has only been one mass shooter in the U.S. that was a female. Even that is debate-able as the person started off and was male for many years, and only became female a little while before the shooting.

Second, you, yourself said you didn't do anything suspicious. You didn't try to sneak into a pen when no one was looking or around. You stood and waited. You, nor your son didn't look or act scared or look nervously around while you both were waiting for the moment to do something bad. If you think there weren't cameras everywhere, watching what everyone is doing, you're wrong. The local news loves to show us crime videos, showing the different perps in the act. There are surveillance cameras from every angle in Times Square.

Third, you chatted up a cop. Only Robert DeNiro or John Malkovich playing characters in some assassin movies chat with cops right before then doing a mass shooting or spree shooting.

I'm sure the cop you spoke to was able to size you and your son up before letting you in the pen. THAT'S their job, sizing up thousands of people they encounter every day. Checking with a quick glance to access if there is a bulge in your coat as you were trying to conceal a gun, or if the coat was hanging down heavily on one side, due to the weight of a gun in the pocket. Did your son have an odd expression on his face as he tried to act casual? She could already access you both weren't dangerous, nor suspicious? She was right. Right?

As for checking for vaccinations, they are COPS, not health checkers. And you were outdoors. We were told in NY at that time that it is much harder to catch Covid outside. (That turns out not to be true.)

That said. No, you shouldn't feel totally "safe" at high profile events. In the times we live in, it's everyone's duty to keep their eyes and ears open for something suspicious or doesn't seem right. The police can't be and aren't everywhere. They can't do their jobs if they aren't alerted to danger. We have a quote here in NYC, (not sure if it's elsewhere too,) "If you see something [suspicious] say something [to a cop or someone who can check it out.]"
I’m not upset that we weren’t treated suspiciously, I’m grateful, we had such an amazing time that night!! I just mean that I now realize that even events that supposedly have very tight security still have weak spots. Just saying we did make it in without going through any of the security systems everyone else had been through. If we were up to trouble we could have carried it out before speaking to the cop and entering the pen. We wandered around the streets inside the frozen zone going past multiple pens for about an hour before we made it up to the pen we eventually entered. I’m just saying that after that experience I realize any large event has the potential for someone to sneak in under the radar.

Too many people think sending thoughts and prayers will solve the mass shooting issue. It will not. I do not understand why an increased focus on mental health is controversial. But nope we can't talk about that since it makes some people uncomfortable.

Too many people think sending thoughts and prayers will solve the mass shooting issue. It will not. I do not understand why an increased focus on mental health is controversial. But nope we can't talk about that since it makes some people uncomfortable.
Too many people think they know how to solve the mass shooting issue when they really don't.

So common that even though it was the lead on the news this morning, it only took up about 9 minutes of airtime before they moved on.

Sobering and sad on every level.

We were driving into Las Vegas at the exact time that there was an active shooter on UNLV campus in December (we saw every form of emergency and law enforcement vehicle fly past us and immediately knew this was something other than a car accident). Anyway, was at friend's house recently and mentioned it and her husband said "it's so terrible that now when people mention a mass shooting event, you don't even recall which one it is because the next one happens a few days later". Horrific.

As I had mentioned in my comment the only hint was a fight breaking out between individuals and that at this time is being stated to be the reason per the police chief: "the shooting appeared to be the result of an argument between two groups of people. She said of the three people detained Wednesday afternoon, two were juveniles."

ETA: I should add obviously more information can come out, more details discovered, changes in motives, etc. But at this time this is their prelim track.

Last edited:
We were driving into Las Vegas at the exact time that there was an active shooter on UNLV campus in December
My dear friend’s son was shot at during the UNLV active shooter event. He called her from a closet where he was hiding. She said blood started pouring immediately from her nose while she stayed on the phone with him- both of them silent so the shooter wouldn’t find him.

I never thought I would know someone who experienced something like this but the sheer number of shootings means we all will know someone involved at some point in time. It’s a sad, frightening time in the history of our country and I have no clue what can fix it.

So common that even though it was the lead on the news this morning, it only took up about 9 minutes of airtime before they moved on.

Sobering and sad on every level.
Agreed. I live near Baltimore, so just about every day there is something about shootings. That may be true for many large cities but Baltimore has a high murder rate. They go from one to the next. There is no time to process, and suddenly we are on to the weather. Everything has to be compartmentalized. That does not even include national events. It's no wonder I have trouble sleeping.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter