Shoes?

Not to hijack the OPs thread, but what do you all suggest or prefer for an athletic sneaker? I love my Go Walks but need a sneaker for working out. I've got no disc left at my L5- S1 in my back and nerve damage in my foot and leg. Ever since my last back surgery (#4) I can't find a good work out shoe. Everything makes my foot go numb while working out on the elliptical. I know its a matter of finding the right shoe and don't even know where to begin!

the only place in Disneyland that I can think of as "dirty" is Tom Sawyer Island. my shoes were really dusty the last time I went there.

I tried Crocs for the first time earlier this year and I was surprised how comfortable they are. I wore them to the park all day and my feet didn't seem as tired.

Skechers Relaxfit seems to have a Croc like sole.

one side question, Crocs with or without sock? I do both depending on what I'm doing, switching between shoes and Crocs, or if I put lotion or spray on my feet socks help keep your feet from slipping.

Agree that comfy shoes are such an individual thing! I just bought my second pair of Crocs sandals and love them! (Really cheap prices on 6pm right now)

My best advice is no matter how comfy your shoes are, don't wear the same pair two days in a row. Make sure you have at least two totally different options. (i.e. sneakers one day, then clogs the next, then sandals, etc.) Make sure you switch off shoes every day to mix it up for your feet. After years of traveling I've found that trick really makes a difference over the course of a stay.

For me, my go-to shoes are my Asics runners with my spenco (full sole) insoles.

I have a pair of Keen sandals that I love as they are a bit more 'girly' that the strappy ones that my 3yr old son wears, but I find that after wearing them a few hours I get the stinkiest feet ever! So I would love to wear them for a change of footwear in the park (say wear the Keens in the morning and the Asics in the afternoon/evening after our hotel break) I don't know that I can subject my DH and DS to that kind of stink coming from my feet as soon as I take them off.

Aladora said:
I have a pair of Sanuk Yoga Sling 2 flip flops and they are absolutely the most comfortable shoes ever.

Thanks for this! I saw these on Amazon and have gone back & forth about whether or not I should get them for our Sept trip. Only thing I'm worried about is I have wide feet (think Fred Flintstone) and wasn't sure if they'd work per the reviews. Other than than I swear by KEENS! I'm not a fan of wet tennis shoes/socks and we got soaked quite a few times on our last trip. As far as flip flops I got away with KEEN Bali's. Not my first choice but I did better than I thought I would!

Thanks for this! I saw these on Amazon and have gone back & forth about whether or not I should get them for our Sept trip. Only thing I'm worried about is I have wide feet (think Fred Flintstone) and wasn't sure if they'd work per the reviews. Other than than I swear by KEENS! I'm not a fan of wet tennis shoes/socks and we got soaked quite a few times on our last trip. As far as flip flops I got away with KEEN Bali's. Not my first choice but I did better than I thought I would!

If you want to try them on first, there is a Sanuk store in DTD.

re: Crocs - no socks, ever! LOL

I have a pair of Skechers that I like and look cute, but when I was commuting to NYC and doing a lot of walking to/from the train station, they did not stand up to the abuse. I think I will switch the Crocs sandals off with the Skechers and that should be OK.

Thanks guys!

Not to hijack the OPs thread, but what do you all suggest or prefer for an athletic sneaker? I love my Go Walks but need a sneaker for working out. I've got no disc left at my L5- S1 in my back and nerve damage in my foot and leg. Ever since my last back surgery (#4) I can't find a good work out shoe. Everything makes my foot go numb while working out on the elliptical. I know its a matter of finding the right shoe and don't even know where to begin!

I tore my L5-S1 also a little over a year ago. I would suggest trying some Asics GT-2000 or similar running shoes for working out on the elliptical. If you really want a good fit visit your local running store so they can do a gait analysis and fit you in the right type of shoe.

I would also recommend Asics running shoes for wearing to DL/CA. It seems like every time I go to a Sport doc or PT office the majority of them are wearing running shoes (mostly Asics).

Also, when visiting DL/CA and riding coasters at SFMM I strap on one of these for some added support:
http://www.amazon.com/Mueller-Adjustable-Regular-1-Count-Package/dp/B00267SFKC/
It's light enough you can take it off in between rides and carry it in one hand.

I've worn everything in the past. Runners, Keds (much younger!), Old Navy flip flops (younger and lighter LOL), Croc flip flops. There is no way I could do Keds now. Oh, the blisters I would have. Old Navy flip flops, no way, no how. I wore Croc flip flops the entire 5 days I was there in 08, as did DH and we both loved them. This time around he has a pair of Flojo flip flops and I have a pair of Reef flip flops that we'll be wearing. Much better arch support and cushioning. The kids will be wearing Crocs (the classics - NO SOCKS!!). My youngest was so sad when I put his Crocs away that I bought him a couple weeks ago. He doesn't know we're going to DL. ;)

lk2500 said:
I tore my L5-S1 also a little over a year ago. I would suggest trying some Asics GT-2000 or similar running shoes for working out on the elliptical. If you really want a good fit visit your local running store so they can do a gait analysis and fit you in the right type of shoe.

I would also recommend Asics running shoes for wearing to DL/CA. It seems like every time I go to a Sport doc or PT office the majority of them are wearing running shoes (mostly Asics).

Also, when visiting DL/CA and riding coasters at SFMM I strap on one of these for some added support:
http://www.amazon.com/Mueller-Adjustable-Regular-1-Count-Package/dp/B00267SFKC/
It's light enough you can take it off in between rides and carry it in one hand.

Thank you!! I am going to look into Asics right away. I'm having a nerve pain flair and I am fearing the worst so I am trying to make as many good changes as I can be for biting the bullet and calling my doctor.
Thank you for the brace suggestion. I had a DDS 500 traction brace prescribed after my last surgery. Its great but does get hot and bulky at the parks. I may look into the one you suggested!

I hate shoes and prefer to be barefoot at all times, but in my experience, you can only get away with this for short periods in the park before a cast member tells you to put them back on, but for anyone out there like myself, I would highly recommend Nufoot. They're pretty much little wetsuit booties. They are the closest thing to being barefoot I have ever felt. Now, they aren't made to be worn outdoors so they don't have a long lifespan. In the regular world, mine last me between 2-4 weeks before getting holes in the soles, but in Disneyland, expect to go through a pair a day. But they aren't very expensive and it's so worth it.

What shoes are good in the parks? I have some Crocs sandals that I wear a lot. I know they will be comfy, but, will my feet get dirty? Are closed shoes, like sneakers better? Maybe I will bring both to switch.

I just bought a pair of Ryka walking shoes and they are like heaven. They seem to really balance your foot so one area doesn't take all the pressure. I have massive problems with shoes (I have a weird condition where any sort of pressure on my skin gives me hives or blisters), so shoe wear is a major issue for me, especially when walking all day.

There is so much walking as you tour the parks, it’s important to take care of your feet.

The first thing I tell everyone going with me is BESURE to have comfortable shoes and preferably two pairs.

I take at least two pairs of athletic shoes when I go. I’ll change my shoes mid day. It really makes a difference.

A side note story…….
About 10 years ago we took our two adult sons, one daughter-in-law and two grandkids, ages 6 and 9 for our first BIG trip to DLR. Knowing the amount of walking we would be doing, I bought everyone new shoes for Christmas. That would give 5 weeks to break them in before the trip.

I knew we were in trouble when we were getting ready to head for the airport and my son took the shoes out of the box, cut off the tags, slipped them on and laced them up. By the end of day he had blisters so bad on his feet, it hurt to watch him walk. He went to Target and bought a pair of soft slipper, which he wore for the rest of the week.

Skechers GoWalks. I swear by them. I have 3 pair. They're insanely comfortable, lightweight slip-on sneaker-type shoes. My feet have never been so happy on a DLR trip!

I'll have to second this---I have very sensitive feet, and I have a pair of Skechers Go Walks, that are Disney Parks specific;)!

I have never had a problem wearing them all day at the Parks. Having said that, I always trade off with other shoes---I never wear the same pair two days in a row, and haven't had a foot problem in the Parks, since I bought the Go Walks!::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter