Shoes to add height for kiddos?

MHofeners

Mouseketeer
Anyone done this? Am I crazy for considering it? Anyone know which shoes have the tallest soles? My boys are just shy of getting to do some great rides! My 4 yr old in 43 inches! And my almost 3 yr old is 39 1/2! Oldest boy is well over 50 inches...

the heights are set because that is the minimum height in which the engineers who designed the ride has determined it is safe. If a cm thinks a child is wearing shoes to intentionally add height they can ask them to remove the shoes to measure them. (I have seen it done.)
So to answer your question, yes I think you are crazy to consider it. There are plenty of rides that your younger children can enjoy where they don't have to have their safety compromised.

the heights are set because that is the minimum height in which the engineers who designed the ride has determined it is safe. If a cm thinks a child is wearing shoes to intentionally add height they can ask them to remove the shoes to measure them. (I have seen it done.)
So to answer your question, yes I think you are crazy to consider it. There are plenty of rides that your younger children can enjoy where they don't have to have their safety compromised.

Although I wouldn't suggest trying to cheat for extra height. I have to say that the above is ridiculous. If an engineer calculated that a ride wouldn't be safe until 40 inches and 39 wouldn't be safe there is no way the ride height would be 40 inches It would be set at 44 at least. Otherwise you would actually have to look at other factors such as height distribution (because if your sitting in the ride the length of your legs matter less then the lenth of your torso for safety harnesses. On other rides it is actually more based on weight (that by 40 inches someone would definitely weigh enough to be safe... however that doesn't mean a slightly heavier 38 inch kid would be safe). Not to mention if they cut the numbers that close the first time a height stick was a tiny bit off and a kid that was too short was let on by mistake they would get sued to no end...

As for the OP:
How far away is your trip? They easily could grow that much before then anyway. Also since shoes do count don't go with anything outrageous (platforms) but if your youngest is just at 40 by then make sure he is wearing sneakers and not thinner sandals. Oh and make sure he knows to stand straight and try to touch the bar... I have seen kids that were afraid to hit there head so they didn't stand straight.

Its just not worth the potential heart ache if something goes wrong.

The height requirements are there for a reason. I'd advise visiting other rides and attractions.

Last time we were there the CM totally looked at the child's shoes when measuring. You can try, but why would you want to skirt around a rule that is put in place for your child's safety?

Although I wouldn't suggest trying to cheat for extra height. I have to say that the above is ridiculous. If an engineer calculated that a ride wouldn't be safe until 40 inches and 39 wouldn't be safe there is no way the ride height would be 40 inches It would be set at 44 at least. Otherwise you would actually have to look at other factors such as height distribution (because if your sitting in the ride the length of your legs matter less then the lenth of your torso for safety harnesses. On other rides it is actually more based on weight (that by 40 inches someone would definitely weigh enough to be safe... however that doesn't mean a slightly heavier 38 inch kid would be safe). Not to mention if they cut the numbers that close the first time a height stick was a tiny bit off and a kid that was too short was let on by mistake they would get sued to no end...

As for the OP:
How far away is your trip? They easily could grow that much before then anyway. Also since shoes do count don't go with anything outrageous (platforms) but if your youngest is just at 40 by then make sure he is wearing sneakers and not thinner sandals. Oh and make sure he knows to stand straight and try to touch the bar... I have seen kids that were afraid to hit there head so they didn't stand straight.
Actually DH was a engineering intern at a firm that designed roller coasters and other rides. He has since opted for a different type of engineering but, the height is the minimum height the engineering team has determined is safe. They take into account weight variations, height distributions and a factor of safety.

To answer your actual question - I bought DS6 a pair of sneaker-style crocs and was surprised to see they made him a whole inch taller! He's 45 inches so the extra height doesn't make any difference, and I didn't buy them for that reason, but check out crocs ;)

Actually DH was a engineering intern at a firm that designed roller coasters and other rides. He has since opted for a different type of engineering but, the height is the minimum height the engineering team has determined is safe. They take into account weight variations, height distributions and a factor of safety.

The final number isn't the minimum. I agree the minimum is calculated (I am an engineer as well, don't do rides but do work with other safety critical equipment) there is always a factor added on.

Another way you can tell there is a factor added in is the heights at disney are rounded into tiers. If it was calculated just on weight vacations and distributions etc. Then sometimes you would get 39 inches or 41.5 inches. But at disney you always see 40, 44, etc.

I agree with meeko. Crocs are a height boost. Dd wore crocs and was just tall enough to ride certain rides but they didn't make her remove them. Just luck I guess.

Although I didn't buy the crocs specifically for that reason.

I honestly don't understand wanting to sneak around standards that were designed for your child's safety.

No ride is worth compromising my child's health and well-being. And trust me, I get it...I have an 8.5 yr old that is only 47 inches tall...this is a constant battle, but I wouldn't risk her safety to be able to get on a ride.

When she is truly tall enough to finally ride RnR, that will be a fun milestone to celebrate. :)

No ride is worth compromising my child's health and well-being. And trust me, I get it...I have an 8.5 yr old that is only 47 inches tall...this is a constant battle, but I wouldn't risk her safety to be able to get on a ride.

I also think its an important lesson for kids, that rules are usually there for a good reason and its best to follow them.

Of course the child might get a bit annoyed and moan but at the end of the day they're the child and you're the adult. You have to make the decision and I think its best to set a good example.

As the post above me says, one day they'll be tall enough to ride and that will be a lovely milestone :teeth:

I also think its an important lesson for kids, that rules are usually there for a good reason and its best to follow them.

Of course the child might get a bit annoyed and moan but at the end of the day they're the child and you're the adult. You have to make the decision and I think its best to set a good example.

As the post above me says, one day they'll be tall enough to ride and that will be a lovely milestone :teeth:
We are hoping next year is her year, LOL. :)

As an engineer, I can assure you that Kamik86 is absolutely correct. Engineers calculate a minimum and maximum for safety and try to create a cushion to encompass other factors (shape, weight, etc). Case in point, if a road curves and the speed limit for that curve is 25 mph, you could drive your car slightly under the speed limit (say, 20 mph) and make the curve easily. You could also drive your car over that speed limit (35 mph) and still make the curve but may experience some difficulty staying on the road. A larger heavier vehicle will always have a much different experience traveling the curve than the car due to the weight, height and shape of the vehicle, hence the need for the margin of error.

This topic makes me laugh every time it comes up on the boards. People blow height requirements way out of proportion and always seem to try to shame the poster for asking the question. The poster is talking about a half inch (or inch for her oldest), she is not talking about a child who is 36 inches and trying to smuggle the child on to a ride that has a 44 inch height requirement.

OP, here are my suggestions:
  • Have your children practice standing up straight.
  • Have your children wear comfortable shoes for walking. If it helps them be a half inch taller, great! If it doesn't, that's OK too.
  • Explain to your children that they are going to get measured twice before getting on a ride. Prepare them for the disappointment just in case they don't make the height requirement.
  • Don't be afraid to try getting on the ride a couple hours later if they are extremely close to making the height requirement. Each cast member measures children differently. I have seen a number of people on these boards say their children made the first measurement and not the second.
  • I didn't catch when you are planning on leaving for this trip but growth spurts are a blessing. My son was 39 1/2 inches at the end of April. On July 16th, he measured in a 40 1/4. With shoes on he measures at 41 inches.
I hope you have a great vacation!

*Remember also the CM's will measure at the beginning of the entrance and then again before boarding. I have seen children measure ok the 1st time but then not allowed to ride because of the 2nd measure.
*Have them practice standing tall.
*Rides that might be close on height, go to 1st thing in the morning. You measure taller in the morning, something about your spinal cord expanding while you sleep.

We took an unexpected trip to DLR when my son was 3.5. I went and purchased brand new sneakers so they wouldn't get worn down at all before the trip. I did look for shoes with a thicker sole, but he drags his feet so a thicker sole lasts a bit longer.
As long as they aren't wearing platforms and they stand up straight you won't have an issue. I have not seen a CM ask to remove shoes, but you never know. So because what you choose.

Prepare your kids that they may not be allowed on the ride. I too know kids who made it one time and not a subsequent time. They may have a growth spurt too! I recently decided against spending a few days at Universal on our upcoming August trip because my DS-4 wasn't quite 42" which appears to be a height minimum for many rides there. Of course he just measured 43" barefoot at the doctor on Friday. (Now I am wondering how close he is to 44" with his shoes on )

Anyone done this? Am I crazy for considering it? Anyone know which shoes have the tallest soles? My boys are just shy of getting to do some great rides! My 4 yr old in 43 inches! And my almost 3 yr old is 39 1/2! Oldest boy is well over 50 inches...

It is not a choice I would make for my child. This is a safety rule and I don't tend to bend those.

the biggest thing I would work with the kids is hitting their head on the bar. most kids do not want to hit the bar so they duck under. duck under and no ride. as others have said just because they make first measurement does not mean riding if close it is the second measurement that counts. so yes you can stand in line and still not be able to ride. I have seen kids made to measure without shoes when it appeared that the shoes were to add height. more so at second measurement

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter