shoe question

kell&boys

Earning My Ears
hi everyone - we're leaving 8/31 (yaY!!) and know we'll have at least the daily rain....my question for you all vets is what do you do about shoes....i am the only person in the free country who finds crocs uncomfortable (for me) - the boys love them though - with lots of rain, how many pair of shoes do you bring? do you ever throw them in the dryer at the resort? i'm thinking 3 pair of tennies each should get dh and i through the week - your thoughts?
thanks so much!!! kelly

I'm not a crocs person either-I hate having my feet confined! I only wear slip ons, my kids usually wear sandals and hubby wears sneakers. I don't usually bring extra shoes. I remind them if they get wet we aren't going back to the resort to let them dry. They need to find a pair of shoes you will be comfy in when they are wet!!! Keeping my fingers crossed we stay dry!!!!!!

I use to be an avid crocs wearer, however while vacationing in the Outerbanks this past year I found a new shoe that tops any shoe I have ever had. They are called Chacos. They are sandals and are the most comfortable shoe I have ever worn. They have a very high arch support too. I wear them for everything from walking to bike riding. I will be wearing them at Disney in October and am very confident they will do me well.

We do not usually bring that many pairs, but for us a pair of tennies and a pair of crocs each has been good in the past.

I bring flip flops, quite a step above the cheap ones, they're comfy, and one pair of nikes. I wear the flip flops if its going to rain a lot, otherwise the nikes will be fine.

I think crocs are alright, but dont come close to athletic footwear. I actually just read a story that their stocks are plummeting, down 75 percent in a year, inventory is building and weighing them down as sales drop sharply. The article attributed it to the fact that they aren't quality foot wear and the fad of the look has worn off. I tend to agree as they're no more comfortable than various sandals / flip flops ive been wearing to soccer practise for years. It'll be interesting to see if they rebound, but its sad to see any company doing poorly in the end.

NOT ALL CROCS are the same! If the Crocs you tried on were at Walmart, they were NOT Crocs. They were Clogs, and clogs are very restrictive. I have tried on many different brands of Crocs, and only the original Crocs brand will ever be worn on my feet. AND I'M A TIGHTWAD!!! So I was HOPING to find some a lot cheaper!!!
To me, its either Original Crocs, or none at all. The imposters hurt my toes. They are too tight width wise (usually the case) or if they are wide enough (rarety) they aren't as spongy.
We actually discovered Crocs after my wife broke her toe and needed a wide shoe. They were the only thing she could wear. To me they are the next best thing to being barefoot. Thats why I have to wonder if you tried them on at Walmart or the flea market, or one of the other shoe stores that sells one of the dozens of bogus brands.

Personally I always cringe at people wearing open toed shoes at WDW. With all the psycho stroller lunatics... a busted toenail or heel is always just a slip away. I see a lot of people wearing them, and thats their choice. No harm if you do, but please remember there really are a LOT of people there who push those big strollers while looking to the left or right. Its not right, but its reality. Just be sure to protect those piggys!:thumbsup2

I actually just read a story that their stocks are plummeting, down 75 percent in a year, inventory is building and weighing them down as sales drop sharply. The article attributed it to the fact that they aren't quality foot wear and the fad of the look has worn off. I tend to agree as they're no more comfortable than various sandals / flip flops ive been wearing to soccer practise for years. It'll be interesting to see if they rebound, but its sad to see any company doing poorly in the end.

When Crocs became popular they were JUST Crocs. Now (as my above post states) there are waaaay too many look-alikes. I wonder how much the whole "imitation Crocs" thing plays into the dropping sales.:confused3

My step father in law created a new tool. A company used his patent. he got RICH FAAAASSST!!!! Then as the chinese took over the design and started making imitations, his income came to a screaching halt. Now the company has used his original patent, tweaked it, and created a new style of the same tool. His income just shot back up again!:happytv:

My DIL introduced me to Keens and I love them - used to always wear high end walking shoes, but found the Keens better and I have bad feet. I used to cry every nite after being in the parks as I soaked my feet in hot water. Not wtih the Keens. Wore them last trip and my feet were great. I bought another pair this year so I can trade them out - and this time bought a water sandal as we are going first week in Sept and it rains a lot then.

My advice is to wear shoes that you know will be comfortable when wet- possibly all day, if it will be rainy. I do have a pair of fake crocs that I really like to wear, and have worn them in two amusement parks (not WDW :sad1: ) where they have gotten soaked. The big problem is they become almost impossible to walk in when wet! With every step my feet would slide around everywhere like I was walking on ice. In the past I've used sport sandals and they work much better.
Soaking wet tennis shoes would be very uncomfortable when wet, especially with wet socks, too.
I would test whatever shoes you're planning to take, by wearing them and then hosing yourself down! It might seem strange to your family, but better tofind out before you're in the middle of the MK for the day, wishing you had something else on your feet!
Good Luck

I wear the waterproof Teva Dozers. They are sandles with toe protection, arch support and can handle getting wet. They can look a little odd but mine were comphy right out of the box. I found them online for $30 (at famous footware they are $60)

I second the Teva Dozer. The insole is Croc like and very comfortable but the outsoul and upper are much more durable.

I always wear flip flops...crocs this year but adidas ones last year. That way when it rains there are no socks or trainers to dry off and your feet dry quickly too!

Most styles of Keens are fine wet. They are comfortable & supportive--most are considered athletic sandal. Unlike Crocs & flipflops, the sole is like an athletic shoe and I've never slipped on wet surface when wearing them. I've alternated between Keens & running shoes at WDW. My kids wear Keens at WDW too. They come in many styles-Mens, Womens & childrens.

KEEN shoes links

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/41303816/c/9.html

http://www.zappos.com/n/es/d/722668084/page/1.html

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/1439640/c/125172.html

I wear nothing but Keen sandals when visiting the parks. My favorite sandal for touring the parks is the Bali model. I live in Balis all summer! The closed-back Newport H2 and Zerraport sandals are great for biking and hiking (when I want to ensure that they can't slip off). They are pricey, but worth every penny! :thumbsup2

Neither DW nor I would consider wearing crocs. She actually tried on some and said they felt horrible. She is diabetic and must be extremely particular about her feet. I have VERY flat feet, and the amount of walking required in WDW require a good supportive athletic shoe for me.

That said, on our last trip we did not PACK any shoes. We wore the shoes we intended to wear on the entire trip. Both of us used a high quality cross trainer. We did not have any problems with our shoes or our feet on the trip.

NOT ALL CROCS are the same! . . . . Personally I always cringe at people wearing open toed shoes at WDW. With all the psycho stroller lunatics... a busted toenail or heel is always just a slip away. I see a lot of people wearing them, and thats their choice. No harm if you do, but please remember there really are a LOT of people there who push those big strollers while looking to the left or right. Its not right, but its reality. Just be sure to protect those piggys!:thumbsup2

The reason some people wear open-toed shoes/sandals is because they get ingrown toenails from wearing enclosed shoes. Their toes turn upward and the shoes press down on their toes. I know someone who actually lost a toenail because of this. Wearing larger-sized shoes do not always help these people. But, I agree, they do need to watch out for other people running over their feet with strollers, dropping something on their feet, or having people step on them. :scared1:

iuki
:goodvibes

I agree, they do need to watch out for other people running over their feet with strollers, dropping something on their feet, or having people step on them.
Child: Mama Mama!!! I want to push the stroller!!!

Parent: OK. I'm tired.

Child: Vrooooommm!!! Hold on lil sis!!!

:scared1: :scared1: :scared1: :scared1: :scared1:

thats how it starts....:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter