Shocked at cost of air fare

Manitoba, so our options aren't that great. If we travel in the winter driving somewhere for a flight is risky because if we get hit with a blizzard road travel can be near impossible.

We can drive 8 hours to Minneapolis for flights that are about half the cost. The closest is 3 hours away (Grand Forks, ND) but there aren't a ton of options there and the cheaper ones are Allegiant which I believe doesn't even fly to MCO (so Magical Express is out of the question).

Well, boo :headache: . That stinks!

Manitoba, so our options aren't that great. If we travel in the winter driving somewhere for a flight is risky because if we get hit with a blizzard road travel can be near impossible. We can drive 8 hours to Minneapolis for flights that are about half the cost. The next closest is 3 hours away (Grand Forks, ND) but there aren't a ton of options there and the cheaper ones are Allegiant which I believe doesn't even fly to MCO (so Magical Express is out of the question).

I live in Grand Forks! And the flight prices here are ridiculous. For the week we are going on our cruise in Oct, the cost is over $1000/ticket. And you are right, Allegiant doesn't fly to MCO only Sanford and sometimes their flight prices aren't any better.

Our family of 5 is driving from NJ this time too. I would just rather spend that $$ on other things...

I live in Grand Forks! And the flight prices here are ridiculous. For the week we are going on our cruise in Oct, the cost is over $1000/ticket. And you are right, Allegiant doesn't fly to MCO only Sanford and sometimes their flight prices aren't any better.

Craziness! We know tons of people who drive down to Grand Forks for cheaper Allegiant flights, but flying to Orlando is just not worth it from there. With the drive, chance of bad weather, and paying for gas and parking, it's just easier to fly from home.

On the bright side, you're 3 hours closer to Minneapolis for cheaper flights than we are :thumbsup2

Go to Miami, get rental car and drive to Orlando is not a option for you? Miami has more flights, probably more ticket sales.

I'm in central IL and lucked out beyond belief on my last trip. Flew out of a a regional airport on Frontier on Thanksgiving day for $38. Flight home was like $58. I did upgrade to the next fare tho b/c that included the baggage fee which I would have had to pay anyway. But still $147 for a round trip direct flight to MCO. Praying they have that same deal this year since there will be 6 of us instead of just me.

This site is very helpful for me to get ticket deals:

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

You can search in a whole month, choosing a period of time that you want to stay in your destination, and they provide all fares founded, and the showed fare include already taxes.

We got Southwest out of Manchester, NH for $214 per person round trip and direct flights. Not sure when OP is traveling but unless it is over a holiday or spring break you can still find reasonable airfare out if the northeast.

I looked into Manchester , best I could do for a less expensive flight was to fly to Chicago and then on to Orlando , I passed,had no burning desire to go through ohare!!!!

Why not fly out of Manchester?? :confused3

We have direct flights at our preferred times for $265/pp round trip on SW.

We have done JB out of Logan as well for even less, but we are less than an hour from Logan.

Manchester got us into Orlando after 4p.m by the time we get to pop whole day is shot !!!!!!!!!

I don't know what parking costs at the airport in Pittsburgh, but we fly from the DC area and have found that doing a stay/park/fly deal with a hotel ends up being the same price as just parking at the airport. You may want to look into that with such an early flight.

We can park at Pittsburgh for about 1/2 cost of hotel for a 4 day trip, but I may get a hotel anyway because it's so early!

prices are still pretty good. I've always gotten less than $100 each way and they're running like $105 these days. BUT, I am seeing fewer and fewer non-stops to MCO. There were always 3-4 each day, now lucky to have 2!!!

Same with us, always upwards of $700. I am so jealous of the US flights, even the expensive ones seem cheap to me!

Yep!

We're having a discussion on the UK board about airfare... most people look at paying £1000 (approx $1700) per adult for a direct flight to MCO in August.

All this "shock" about airfare prices yet Disney price increases dont seem to raise an eyebrow :confused3

I looked into Manchester , best I could do for a less expensive flight was to fly to Chicago and then on to Orlando , I passed,had no burning desire to go through ohare!!!!

If it was on SW, it would be thru Midway which is a very easy airport to navigate...we love it..

We fly from MSP and the last few years we have been using points, but I did have to buy 1 ticket for our last trip and it was a great price - under $100/leg.

Yep!

We're having a discussion on the UK board about airfare... most people look at paying £1000 (approx $1700) per adult for a direct flight to MCO in August.

At least when I'm feeling bad about our flight prices I can be grateful I don't have to pay those ones! Ouch.

All this "shock" about airfare prices yet Disney price increases dont seem to raise an eyebrow :confused3

Are you kidding?

There are pages and pages of discussion, outrage, and defense every time Disney changes the price on something. How can you possibly miss them? :lmao:

At least when I'm feeling bad about our flight prices I can be grateful I don't have to pay those ones! Ouch.

Are you kidding?

There are pages and pages of discussion, outrage, and defense every time Disney changes the price on something. How can you possibly miss them? :lmao:

This person is just :stir: as it seems there can't be a discussion on here without 1) FP+ 2) A&E or 3) bashing Disney -- sometimes all at once

I was giddy with excitement a couple of weeks ago when I was randomly looking at airfare for our December trip and found direct flights from MSP to MCO for $207/person on Delta. The time didn't work for us on the date the fare was offered, but we did end up purchasing tickets $230/person.

Our family of 5 is driving from NJ this time too. I would just rather spend that $$ on other things...

Same. We are driving down from NJ to. Staying overnight in NC with family then on to disney!! Plane tickets are outta control from NJ.

In 2005, I got my round trip flight for Memorial Weekend for $175 r/t flying from LGA (NY) to MCO.

This year, I was worried, b/c I have seen how prices have been on the up - but managed to snag them on a Wednesday night (Not sure if the rumors are true about late night/Mid-week flight purchases) for $208 r/t. I was elated to say the least purchasing 4 tickets.

:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter