• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Shipping goods back to the UK?

jessibelle

Mouseketeer
Hey,

I know it's an option for people within the US, where WDW will ship goods back to your home address. But is it possible to get them sent home to the UK (with a fee). I was wondering whether it's a cheaper and safer option that checking in another bag.

Most places will ship stuff to the UK but, as for whether it's a cheaper option, by the time you've paid the customs and import tax you're likely to be charged then it probably isn't.

I agree about it possibly not being a cheap option.

Does your airline allow you to pre book an extra bag on the return for a fee? You are likely to pay far less. Since they reduced the luggage allowance on flights to and from the USA, we have successfully traveled with a smaller case inside one of our full sized ones and pre payed to bring it back. This year we can't pre pay as it is a code share flight but even so, it will be cheaper to pay $100 at check in and have the extra bag than to pay for international shipping and possibly a hefty customs tax when it arrives in the UK.

Yeah, last time I bought a cheap extra bag and checked it in... Worked out at around £50.

Was wondering if this would be a better option, but didn't even think about customs charges!

Thanks guys!

We flying with virgin and we going book an extra bag back for the fight home think it's about £50 we going put all all stuff in one suitcase out and put a smaller on in the other on way over to Orlando then have the 3 coming back

I just wondered, do you pay the customs and import tax when the item is delivered to your home or when you buy it.

I just wondered, do you pay the customs and import tax when the item is delivered to your home or when you buy it.

You will pay the normal sales tax in the US and the get a charge for VAT & Duty once it arrives in the UK. Most postal/parcel services will also charge a handling fee.

we used the shipping option years ago from the Christmas shop in DTD on our last day when temptation proved too much. Was very low cost to be honest and under a certain amount you don't pay import tax (but you would have to check the customs website to see current amounts.) When we have regularly used it though is to buy goods as gifts for my cousin in Australia as it is much cheaper to post gifts for her kids from Florida than from the UK. :) We have regularly done this from MainStreet Emporium.

Okay, in regards to shipping from Disney to the UK, I was hoping someone who has recently done this could list all the places this is possible from.

I've shipped a couple times to the UK, just locally and it was a pain in
the wazoo. Had to list every little thing, it's weight, and cost on a customs
form. I'm new to this, and American. So can anyone share their experience in detail. Whether the shops have the customs forms on hand, or if I'd have to bring them? I'd like to know what to expect. I'd just buy stuff and ship it from home, but it's not as fun as receiving a package from Disney, and then I'd have to pack it and haul it home.

Also, do we know the weight limits for shipping tiers? I know if I keep a package under 4lbs here, the cost is around 30 because it's one tier of mail. If it goes over that it has to be classified as first class, and jumps to 60. I imagine the same standards apply in Disney, unless they're using something other than USPS.

Okay, in regards to shipping from Disney to the UK, I was hoping someone who has recently done this could list all the places this is possible from.

I've shipped a couple times to the UK, just locally and it was a pain in
the wazoo. Had to list every little thing, it's weight, and cost on a customs
form. I'm new to this, and American. So can anyone share their experience in detail. Whether the shops have the customs forms on hand, or if I'd have to bring them? I'd like to know what to expect. I'd just buy stuff and ship it from home, but it's not as fun as receiving a package from Disney, and then I'd have to pack it and haul it home.

Also, do we know the weight limits for shipping tiers? I know if I keep a package under 4lbs here, the cost is around 30 because it's one tier of mail. If it goes over that it has to be classified as first class, and jumps to 60. I imagine the same standards apply in Disney, unless they're using something other than USPS.

I have shipped things back to the UK while on vacation there. In a nutshell it stinks. Customs and duty have stopped packages for MONTHS then have charged up to £100 just to get them. I asked my family to stop sending gifts here as it cost me to much to pick them up. Off the top of my head, 2 Pandora charms a gift from Grandma cost me £32, just to receive it.
If your sending a gift to the UK look on the Disney UK store and see if you can buy it from there. That way your family here won't have to pay to receive it, you pay less to ship it, and they will receive it on time.
And one more thing you will always have to fill out the forms, and no the stores do not carry them usually. (when shipping outside the USA)

Beth

I actually shipped back from co-op market place in downtown Disney this summer. You can ship from most stores on site. The cost of shipping was $100 for two parcels with a total value of less than $250. Normally I would just have taken an extra bag but the item was too big to get into any suitcase.

The shipping was great in that the parcels arrived home before we did. The customs charges etc were £40 on the transaction.

However, Disney did not complete the shipping documentation correctly and disclosed that each parcel contained goods worth $240. Actually, I only shipped a total of $240 back. Therefore, I got hit with 2 customs charges of £40! After a number of e-mails Disney have just agreed to refund me for the additional charge following their error. It has taken them a month to agree this.

Also one of my items is damaged. I am still waiting to find out how they intend to rectify the problem.

But my advice would be to avoid shipping if at all possible. It is pretty costly and you are reliant on the customs forms being completed correctly.

This summer it cost £55 to check in an additional bag with Virgin, which is the option I take whenever possible.

Shipping from the US to the UK is, IMHO, a massive pain in the backside best avoided if at all possible.

We shipped the garden ornaments from the flower and garden event a couple of years back. Forms were all filled in at the counter for shipping.Not sure of the cost but it was basiclly free as I did not have to pay the state tax as items were being shipped overseas. This was again all done at the check out , yes had some customs to pay but this equated basiclly to the postage cost I had saved.

We shipped the garden ornaments from the flower and garden event a couple of years back. Forms were all filled in at the counter for shipping.Not sure of the cost but it was basiclly free as I did not have to pay the state tax as items were being shipped overseas. This was again all done at the check out , yes had some customs to pay but this equated basiclly to the postage cost I had saved.

Thats the thing it is not consistent. Some time packages get through fine, some times not. I lived here for 10 years, I received maybe 4 packages with no problems from the US.

As for the forms, it makes since that with all the international travels that WDW have them. But a local Disney store in Wisconsin:confused3

We do like 2Tiggies, take a extra suitcase.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter