Ship Wifi on Castaway Cay

Alicatt

DIS Veteran
Can anyone tell me if the new internet works on Castaway Cay? I'm going to get the small package and would like to be able to use my wifi calling on the island.

We were just there in Nov. I don’t think wifi worked on the island. . I used my Verizon international plan on my phone for calls and data.

Can anyone tell me if the new internet works on Castaway Cay? I'm going to get the small package and would like to be able to use my wifi calling on the island.
Doesn't work great but regular cell coverage is good. I use my $10 a day Verizon travel pass

We were just there in Nov. I don’t think wifi worked on the island. . I used my Verizon international plan on my phone for calls and data.
Do you mind sharing how this plan worked for you? Did you have to pair it with a WiFi package on the ship in order to get service? Were you able to use your phone as normal (calls, text, email, web browsing)? Did it work both on the ship and on land or did you also have to get the Verizon travel pass? Was service consistent?

Thank you in advance for any insight! I'm having a lot of anxiety about being disconnected from family during our trip, for personal reasons. I have used Verizon on a past cruise (years ago) but can't recall which plan I got or how well it worked.

Do you mind sharing how this plan worked for you? Did you have to pair it with a WiFi package on the ship in order to get service? Were you able to use your phone as normal (calls, text, email, web browsing)? Did it work both on the ship and on land or did you also have to get the Verizon travel pass? Was service consistent?

Thank you in advance for any insight! I'm having a lot of anxiety about being disconnected from family during our trip, for personal reasons. I have used Verizon on a past cruise (years ago) but can't recall which plan I got or how well it worked.
I haven't been on my cruise yet, but I've used Verizon Travel Pass in the Bahamas. You have to actively sign up for it (either online or over the phone with a rep). When you get to your destination, turn your cellular and roaming on, and you'll be connected to the local cell network. You have to be in range of cell towers for it to work. You'll (eventually) get a text from Verizon confirming that you're connected and that you're being charged $10 for the next 24 hours of service (though some days it took a couple of hours to get that text). In terms of service, you're supposed to get up to 2 gigs of usage at normal speed, then it gets throttled, but the data was generally (and noticeably) slower than it is at home. It was good enough though. Had trouble sending video/photos over text sometimes, but it was fine.

Verizon's website says Travel Pass doesn't work on the ships at sea. There's a separate pay per minute plan that will work, and I believe that's default on for everyone's accounts. I tried to turn it off on mine and couldn't. Reviews are generally not great for that.

I have T-Mobile, and I enabled on the island and didn’t have any issues. I didn’t seem to have wi-fi that far from the ship, but I did not purchase a package.

I was disappointed-the wifi for me would not work on the island, not even to use the Navigator app to see the schedules for things going on the island like the exact gift shop hours, characters, etc.

I have T-Mobile, and I enabled on the island and didn’t have any issues. I didn’t seem to have wi-fi that far from the ship, but I did not purchase a package.
All of the T-mobile One plans (including the military plans) include slow data and text in the caribbean. Calling is available but expensive.

I was disappointed-the wifi for me would not work on the island, not even to use the Navigator app to see the schedules for things going on the island like the exact gift shop hours, characters, etc.
Yes, we found the navigator app to be terrible on Castaway this past week- couldn't even use the chat to communicate with one another, which made it hard since we had a large group.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter