SHIP OF FOOLS SISTERHOOD - Strong & Healthy in 2005!!!

winotracy said:
Arlene, I know this sounds harsh, but don't eat all the leftovers just to get rid of them. Throw them away. After Christmas dinner when my guests left and DH took his brother home, I threw away the cookies. Left a couple out for DH, but that's it.

Good luck everyone with whatever you do. I agree with Barbara, start with one thing small and then move on to the next thing. If you jump in and say "I will lose 50 pounds", you will get discouraged, especially if the weight doesn't come off quickly. The water will help a lot. For a long time I would have 12 oz of water upon waking and then get two large glasses at work (32 oz and one large) and by mid afternoon I'd refill one. Then I'd have one at night. I got out of the habit and the weight loss stopped. That's not the only reason, but it did help.

Good advice, Tracy! It didn't sound harsh, it sounded like a practical answer! So much so, in fact, I just went downstairs and got rid of any of the desserts and sweets that I would be the one tempted to eat :D I kept some cookies for Lara's lunch this week, but Martin doesn't really eat sweets, so he won't miss them either!

The only "leftovers" I still have are from our Japanese new years' dinner last night. We'll have them for dinner today, (since we were too exhausted from cooking to actually eat any of them yesterday) then I'll toss the deep-fried ones of those too.

I had good success on Weight Watchers a long time ago (3 lbs from goal :earseek: ) but was then diagnosed with a thyroid condition that required radiation treatment and knocked me off my feet for months. Immediately following that was a rebound weight gain of about 30 lbs. The rest has crept on over the years, especially since Lara was born. When I tried going back to Weight Watchers this fall, my weight just bounced around with no progress. Since I'd only signed up for a five-week trial, I didn't go back after that. Given all the stressors in my life at the time, perhaps it wasn't a good time go have tried it.

I have a friend that has had good success with the South Beach Diet. I bought the book, and I'm going to try Phase 1 later this week (after I get to the grocery store to stock up on the right foods).

This is going to be a journey of baby-steps, though. This week's goal is to start drinking all the water I should, then the eating, then adding exercise back into my schedule. I know all the components need to be there for success; I'm grateful for the moral support that will be available here. (Even if Grumbo DOES think this is a thread about "Water Retention" :D )

Thanks to all of you. Any suggestions gratefully accepted!

Arlene

Hi All,
What a great idea for a thread. I am at a good weight so thought I'd share some things that work for me...these are the result of 30 years of watching it, and think I've hit on a combination of habits that keep me trim.
1. Exercise 5-7 days per week...make it something you enjoy
2. Pay attention to your food...unless it is popcorn I never read or watch
T.V. while I'm eating
3. Have what you really want. If you really want See's rum nougats don't
settle for peanut clusters
4. Eat at home, and make your meals out of fresh, unprocessed foods
5. Eat a wide variety of food...I've never seen a thin adult that was a picky
eater
6. Get plenty of sleep
7. If you eat at fast food, you can have one thing with calories...a sandwich,
or side, or a drink with calories. With any of these you can have a nocal
drink. By sandwich I mean a Jumbo Jack w/cheese, Big Mac, etc... I do
have two things at Taco Bell...either two tacos or bean burritos or one of
each
8. Learn to cook great meals...do not try and be creative with desserts
9. Eat breakfast
10.Don't buy low carb, low fat, low cal anything other than soda. Ick !!!

Good advise. I don't follow all of these, but here are my favorites, then the ones I will try in 2005. Once I reach my goal again (I'm a lifetime member), I will have lost 50 pounds this go around :eek:
wide awake said:
1. Exercise 5-7 days per week...make it something you enjoy
2. Pay attention to your food...unless it is popcorn I never read or watch
T.V. while I'm eating
3. Have what you really want. If you really want See's rum nougats don't
settle for peanut clusters
4. Eat at home, and make your meals out of fresh, unprocessed foods
5. Eat a wide variety of food...I've never seen a thin adult that was a picky
eater
8. Learn to cook great meals...do not try and be creative with desserts
9. Eat breakfast
1. Must enjoy it or you won't keep up with it.
2. I shouldn't do this, but I do eat while reading the DIS boards, e-mail, watching TV, but I think this causes me to take my time. I don't get seconds, and many times I don't clean my plate.
3. If you settle for something else, you're going to still crave that which you really wanted in the first place.
4. Plan ahead. Make sure you have good, healthy foods at home for meals and snacks to avoid mindless eating.
8. Great meals don't have to be loaded with fat or calories, be creative!
9. Jump start your metabolizm!
wide awake said:
6. Get plenty of sleep

I should do this. I heard recently that you should get 7.75 hours of sleep every night to lose weight. The theory is that if you are well rested, you will make better decisions.

This is a great thread I start back tommorrow on LA Weight Loss been doing it for a year and 1/2 and have lost 23 pounds I have 15 more to go. My biggest problem is chips not working out and since being laid off got off the water track (was doing 100 oz day). Well I bought a Tony Gazelle and figure if I can do it 20 min a day in front of the TV I'll do good until the spring when I can actually get out and walk. The water thing is going to be tought. I told hubby and kids no chips in the house anymore. Well here goes nothing I told the kids I want a 2 piece swimsuit by the repo cruise. Good luck all!!!!

I don't know anything about the LA Weight Loss plan, but i found the best chips. Ripples Light. No fat! Yes it uses olestra, but that doesn't bother us. If you need to have the chips, try these. I also have a gazelle, it is great fun!!

The getting plenty of rest thing is vital because if you don't have enough energy from sleep, your body will try to obtain it through food. A fact I found out the hard way when I worked graveyard for a short time. Talk about increased appetite !!! I forgot one thing...

11. Add vegetables to your meals whenever possible...sauteed mushrooms or
spinach in scrambled eggs, or at least salsa on plain scrambled eggs...
onions and tomato on sandwiches...do whatever you can to add flavor
and texture without adding calories

Sorry, but I couldn't resist!!

lovers_leap.jpg

Mark, the Sisterhood will find you and strap you to the galley fridge which will include all your cheapo wine and walk you off the plank for posting that photo!!!!!!!

Mom2Belle&PeterPan said:
Mark, the Sisterhood will find you and strap you to the galley fridge which will include all your cheapo wine and walk you off the plank for posting that photo!!!!!!!

You go girl!!

Thanks Tracy for the "habit" timeline...much better! Good for you getting to the basement...now, for the actually doing it heh?! ;) I shouldn't talk, I'm doing absolutely nothing yet, but I am taking my babysteps.

Mel, good way to transition back tomorrow! I'm thinking of ya'! You are a gregarious soul and I know you will do wonderful. It is a big change though, so be good to yourself!!!

Great tips everyone, thanks a million!

Barbara

Thanks for the info on the chips but I have to stay away from chips for now. Well its the first day back and I got up at 6 am and did the Gazelle boy I am not that coordinated LOL my son was laughing at me, guess it takes practice. Now on to the water part gag! Have a great day ladies and good luck!! Count me in on throwing Mark overboard!!! LOL :cheer2: :cheer2:

Good Morning everyone!!
Well this is it!! I will be leaving in about 20 mins. Like i said before, this is an easy morning for me since my parents are here and are taking care of my kids this morning and have no school either....Tomroorw however will be more challenging for me...

Thanks Tracy for your PM..I didn't read it yet word for word, but will later. Yesterday, i did not, repeat, did not have any sweets. With all those christmas candies all over my kitchen counter, yummy, but did not touch it at all...Let's see if i can make it again today..

Also, this morning, i had a drink of Slim Fast. I am not a big breakfast person so Tracey, is this acceptable? I will bring my bottle of water with me to work.

Later!!

Well, I managed to have almost ALL my water today! I had a glass when I got up, a 500 ml (16 oz?) water bottle on my drive to work, another one at lunch, and a third one on the drive home! :earseek: :earseek:

I'm sipping a small glass now before bed - heck, I'd like to sleep through SOME of the night! :D

Question - will the every 30 minute "pit-stops" stop if I keep doing this, or do I need a wireless connection for my notebook? :rolleyes:

I'll try again tomorrow!

Arlene

Good job Sisters! I'm proud of ya' all! Arlene, I find the "running to the restroom" syndrome lasts for about 2 weeks for me. I hope it subsides for you soon!

Congrats Mel on a good day at work! I'll be thinking and praying for you tomorrow morning. When I was getting ready for work this morning at 6:30 a.m. PST, I thought to myself...Mel is already at work, it's 9:30 a.m. her time. So, I said a little prayer for you. Anyway, wishing you the best tomorrow, it will be major re-coordination for your family... :grouphug:

Didn't get home until 8 p.m. tonight, then the kids needed attention, so this is the only post for me today.

Again, great first day everyone!

Barbara

Hello SisterHood!

So Mel, how was your first day back to work? Good Luck this AM!

Quick Question ~ Does Coffee count as my first glass of water?

Also, what is a good "cleansing" method?

Scratch

Work was good,, Easy....Thanks

Well i failed yeasterday...Bob made me a Chocolate milkshake last night and could not resist...

I will try harder!!

Bmwdsny said:
Work was good,, Easy....Thanks

Well i failed yeasterday...Bob made me a Chocolate milkshake last night and could not resist...

I will try harder!!

Tell Bob not to be a sabatour! One Chocolate milkshake won't kill you or cause you to gain 10 pounds. Just cut back a little more elsewhere when that happens!

I'm happy to say I drank much more water the last three days. Also have worked out three days in a row. Can't do a whole lot yet, but I do what I can! Up to 10 minutes on the gazelle! (that's a huge accomplishment for me at this time). I used to do 20-40 minutes each time I used it (1-2 times daily).

Scratch42 said:
Hello SisterHood!

Quick Question ~ Does Coffee count as my first glass of water?

Scratch

Coffee!! No. Some people say only water counts as water. I say flavored, non-caffeinated beverages count too. I read somewhere about how water got to be recommended 6-8 glasses a day. It's quite funny. Basically, it was a study about hydration and they found that you needed a certain amount of "water" in your body for proper hydration. They used an example of a say 200# man and figured how much he needed. Mind you, veggies have water, fruit has water, even coffee has water. They took all that into account. The sum total of all liquids was 6-8 glasses. Anything with caffeine or alcohol are diuretics and make you expel more water, leaving you dehydrated (hense the hangover after a bender!). When you are dehydrated, you feel hungry, when it may actually be thirst. Water has no calories and hydrates you. What more could you want?

Tracy

CEO of Security checking in!

I'll add my name to the list of trying to lose weight. I have a goal of a total of 100 lbs. Started with LA Weight Loss back in Feb of last year, and was supposed to have lost it all right around now, but cheated WAY too much!! :blush: So, I have only lost a total of 25-30 lbs so far. But, since New Year's just passed, and I paid for the weeks anyway ($$$$$$$) I figured I might as well start it up again! Wish me luck! I am hoping to be in ANY bathing suit by the time the cruise comes.

--Eileen

EileenAmI said:
CEO of Security checking in!

I'll add my name to the list of trying to lose weight. I have a goal of a total of 100 lbs. Started with LA Weight Loss back in Feb of last year, and was supposed to have lost it all right around now, but cheated WAY too much!! :blush: So, I have only lost a total of 25-30 lbs so far. But, since New Year's just passed, and I paid for the weeks anyway ($$$$$$$) I figured I might as well start it up again! Wish me luck! I am hoping to be in ANY bathing suit by the time the cruise comes.

--Eileen

Right there with you, Eileen! Glad I'm not the only one working toward ANY bathing suit that doesn't require a long t-shirt coverup! :D This is a great idea - we can all support each other!

We don't have LA Weight Loss here - what kind of program is it???

Arlene

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter