Sharpie design on coffee mugs...what is the secret?

busy mom

Mouseketeer
Looking for an inexpensive gift, and would like to try a personalized coffee mug.

My fear is that the design will wash off.

Has anyone had any success with this DIY project? If so, what is your secret?

I would think a Sharpe paint pen would be better. I also imagine baking in the oven and not washing in a dishwasher would come into play as well.

I've only ever used special paint on beer glasses that you bake when the paint is dry. I would think Pinterest would have done good pins on shares mugs, that's where I got my project from.

There are special sharpies for writing on ceramics. Get one of those and then you have to bake the mug for it to set.

Do you have any Pottery Painting or ceramic places?

We have this place that DD made her dad a very cute "Worlds Okayest Dad" mug.

You Do The Dishes
https://www.youdothedishes.com/

It can take 2-3 days (5-7 in peek season) to get the item back after firing.

Don't use regular sharpies. We did those, baked in the oven and then only hand washed. The design came off very quickly.

Glad you posted this cause I've been looking for what would work better. My kids were so disappointed when the marker washed off after we followed some directions that said this would work.

Oil-based sharpies are the way to go, but even after using them and baking, the design will come off with heavy scrubbing or repeated dishwasher/sanitizer use. If they are gently handwashed, the design will stay on for quite a while.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter