Shark at Castawy Cay - UPDATED with pictures

RIP "Sharkie #5"!!
DSC_0542.jpg
[/IMG]

YOU GUYS ARE TOO CUTE! as for me, I'd be walking on water! Nurse, reef, great white, whale...all ends in SHARK

Okay. You guys are FREAKING me out. My two older kids (11 & 8) love to snorkel and I have to take them because DH doesn't like it. I think I would NOT do well if I encountered one of these creatures....YIKES!:sad2:
Cosign that!!!!!!!!!

I read a similar article to that one; after we got back from our trip where I saw it I researched the lion fish a bit. I was a little scared that I saw one of them there, even though they are a beautiful fish! My wife didn't believe me, but I had an underwater pic to prove it!
Same here- and have a photo somewhere to prove it. We were at the adult beach snorkeling out quite aways. I snapped a photo and DH motiioned for us to come up- when we came up he was worried I might have touched it. I was like are you kidding me? I may not know what every fish is and which are poisonous and all that jazz but I know enough to know that thing LOOKS dangerous and that's good enough for me to stay clear. LOL

Exactly! This "reef" that he was in was in an area where if you were trying to snorkel down to the bottom, you could easily use it as a place to step on, or to push off. He was just hanging out, just inside the concrete structure. I'd be afraid of accidentally kicking him or something like that.
Was that at the adult beach? The one I snapped was near a concrete little thing down there.

We took the 7 day right after Thanksgiving so I guess we were at CC the first Friday in December. Anyway, DD and I had planned on snorkeling out to the sunken Mickey. Only when we got to the water it was filled with jellyfish.

They didn't have tentacles (legs, whatever they're called). They were like the squishy tops only and they were clear. I asked the lifeguard about them as DD was paranoid to get in the water (too many Nemo viewings). Anyway, he said as long as you don't mess with them they will leave you alone. If they did bite you it was more like a mosquito bite and was harmless. There were a lot of kids playing with them, literally tossing them around. Nobody seemed to be screaming in pain.

DD was okay in the shallows but did freak out when we got out deeper. There were literally thousands of them. They were small, maybe the size of a half dollar. We went to out by the play area and there were just too many for her. There was literally no way to avoid them.

She did run out of the water when some kid picked up a jellyfish in his sand strainer and it was about the size of a grapefruit, brown around the outside rim and definitely had tentacles. She said she was done and we could go back to the boat. Considering it was time anyway, it was an easy way to get her out of the water without her throwing the inevitable whiny "But I don't want to goooooo!" :goodvibes
Oh gosh.... I hope that doesn't happen often.....

I knew it -- LAND SHARK! the most dangerous - stay in the water.
LOL
I love that I'm not the only one that remembers land shark. HAHAHA
:rotfl2:

As long as you respect what's in the ocean and not bother the ocean life, you should be fine. I have been surfing, diving and swimming in the ocean for 34 years and have seen many sharks, barracudas, eels, and other things. Yes it can be startling to see these creatures but you are in their environment and you should respect them. :scared1:

I'm always looking for an excuse to post this picture.

It's a reef shark that was about 6' long that swam about 20 to 40 feet past me while snorkelling off the adult beach.

TxIuFuAkBfQUwo4Qc_R_JWUywHPoXGw_Q1_6hjUdoohKsFSmiiMNwkkY2Vm6q1eEN0C9lRQJzUWno2s=w1280-h709-rw

Look on the left side of the image and you can see his outline swimming left-to-right. Getting that shot (with one of those cheap underwater cameras) was perhaps my most thrilling moment on DCL (well... except perhaps for going through the Panama Cannal). However, given that I was about 100 yards from shore at the time... I was definitely more aware of my suroundings for the rest of the swim.

Because they blend with the color of the water, the seemed to disappear immediately. DW was swimming with me only 10' away and never saw it. Of course if she did, our swim might have been over :)

Last edited:
We took the 7 day right after Thanksgiving so I guess we were at CC the first Friday in December. Anyway, DD and I had planned on snorkeling out to the sunken Mickey. Only when we got to the water it was filled with jellyfish.

They didn't have tentacles (legs, whatever they're called). They were like the squishy tops only and they were clear. I asked the lifeguard about them as DD was paranoid to get in the water (too many Nemo viewings). Anyway, he said as long as you don't mess with them they will leave you alone. If they did bite you it was more like a mosquito bite and was harmless. There were a lot of kids playing with them, literally tossing them around. Nobody seemed to be screaming in pain.

DD was okay in the shallows but did freak out when we got out deeper. There were literally thousands of them. They were small, maybe the size of a half dollar. We went to out by the play area and there were just too many for her. There was literally no way to avoid them.

She did run out of the water when some kid picked up a jellyfish in his sand strainer and it was about the size of a grapefruit, brown around the outside rim and definitely had tentacles. She said she was done and we could go back to the boat. Considering it was time anyway, it was an easy way to get her out of the water without her throwing the inevitable whiny "But I don't want to goooooo!" :goodvibes

They used to have these in Long Island sound and they were harmless. When they have the "strings" hanging down is when they will hurt you.

Oh, I know!!! We were on the cape last summer when the sharks were in Chatham, the next beach town over...but I wouldn't snorkel down there either!!:rotfl:

That was so cool. We were remembering the one in 2004/2005 as well. We met the guy who tagged her at JawsFest on Martha's Vineyard. It was very interesting.

Barb, you are too funny:lmao: We did see Barry on the adult beach last cruise. I am fine with fish I just hate the feeling of seaweed between my toes! Yuck!

Or, shall I add...."Candygram!"

more for you semi-older SNL fans
You shouldn't open it if you hear, "I'm not a landshark"

I had a very up close and personnel experience with Barry...We just had to be the first ones to snorkel a few years back. yes, we ran over everyone to get there....ok not really, I don't run....:rotfl:

I was in first followed by my DS and DH when suddenly I saw my ds, RUNNING ON WATER toward shore. He moved faster than I had seen or have yet to see again!!!:scared1:

When I ask him what was wrong. I was informed that Barry was swimming underneath me.....:eek: No, there aren't barracudas here.......don't be silly.:laughing:

We asked the CM guard who confirmed that Barry liked to hang out in the morning. He usually left when people get in the water.

Ok, now it was my turn to "run"! :scared::sad2::crazy2:

My 7 year old daughter and I went snorkeling almost as soon as we were allowed off the boat. We were in about 5 feet of water at the family beach and Barry or one of his family swam right under us. The top link is to a bad video of him going under us - I thought I was in picture mode, not video. And then the pic is him swimming away.

He was maybe 3 feet below us, he didn't bother us at all, just went about his business.

http://yfrog.us/5omvi7775z

img7776g.jpg

A few years ago our son was on the fishing excursion off CC and caught one of Barry's family or friend....35 lbs. worth!!!

BrianFish.jpg

MJ

Maybe there is a reason to like the COLD New England water...no scary creatures!!! But, alas, no snorkeling either!

Um, there are about 15 species of shark that stay off the coast of New England. Sept of last year about 12 Great White were seen.

I live on the coast of VA. I do not get into the water here. Yes, you can get attacked in clear water, but there are other creatures that I want to be able to see so I can avoid them.

A few years ago, I took DD and her friend to the local little beach at Yorktown. They wanted me to go in with them. So I did and it was a river and it was gross. Anyway, we saw some sort of ray and DD's friend started screaming. She said she didn't think there was going to be things in there. :scared1:

So, I say lets just put our feet in at the edge of the water. Low and behold here comes a baby water snake, the screaming commences again. DD just laughed. DD has fed the rays at CC, she has touched a small shark at a tour at Sea World, so she knows there are things in the water.

We ended up walking around Yorktown tourist area. PSA: There are creatures in the water. You are going into their world.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter