Sharing villa with non-DVC family/friends

When we invite someone, we don't expect any pay for the room. But they might offer groceries or to pay for a meal. Maybe. If they invite themselves along, normally we don't offer them the opportunity to join us. We don't rent out our points. But if we had a reservation that we couldn't cancel or points we couldn't use, we might just offer it to someone we like for no charge.

This was a really interesting thread. We’re trying to figure out how to handle this too. We figure parents, not charged. with my sister, we are now planning a trip together. I will likely book her family their own room (1BR) while mine stay in a 2br. We’ve discussed that she’d pay per point that would cover MF and loss of use of the points. It’s still cheaper and a bigger room than what she’d pay cash and removes any resentment or obligations that might occur.

We are a family of five and typically stay in a one bedroom. If we upgrade for family, we do it for free. Often we will bring another family that we are friends with (they are typically families of 4). We book a two bedroom lock off, so they have their own studio, and they usually pay us approx what we would get per point from a broker (after their cut) per point x the difference in points. It’s a great deal for them, as it’s much cheaper than renting points thru a broker (and often even on the boards), and the number of points for the studio is less (as part of the lock off) than they would need to pay for if they booked the studio stand-alone. And we enjoy travelling together! We all hang out in the kitchen and living room areas, and each family has its own “space” to retire to in the evening.

When we invite family, we tell them up front that we’ll provide the accommodations while they’ll be responsible for transportation and tickets. We don’t charge people we invite.

If it’s just our kids & grands, we’ll also pay for one TS meal a day (to enjoy together) and they’re responsible for the rest of their meals as well as souvenirs or other expenses. This past Christmas trip with kids and grands, we also stocked the kitchens with breakfast food, snacks and light supper fixings because so many of our TS meals were early dinners - it’s hard to book a large party for prime dinner time :p!

For friends the understanding is that they’ll cover their own meals, and they usually treat us to a nice meal along the way.

I think I'm seeing a theme as to why owners aren't charging. The root is how you feel about your dvc ownership. Like, we don't "invite others along" like we are the gatekeepers to Disney world because we own dvc points. We say "hey, we're planning a vacation and are thinking disney...wanna go too". Like, to qualify that others have to pay for their tickets and food and groceries and souvenirs seems like a "no duh" thing to me beyond the scope of what the thread is trying to drill down. Quit thinking "I own a part of disney" and think "I prepayed for 50 years of vacation" and that should help navigate any choppy waters of siblings feeling butt hurt or friends feeling used (when in fact you are the one being used if you don't make them pay their freight). Again, do what you want with your points, but it feels like some are asking for advice on how to handle angst associated with this combined families vacation. :)

I think I'm seeing a theme as to why owners aren't charging. The root is how you feel about your dvc ownership. Like, we don't "invite others along" like we are the gatekeepers to Disney world because we own dvc points. We say "hey, we're planning a vacation and are thinking disney...wanna go too". Like, to qualify that others have to pay for their tickets and food and groceries and souvenirs seems like a "no duh" thing to me beyond the scope of what the thread is trying to drill down. Quit thinking "I own a part of disney" and think "I prepayed for 50 years of vacation" and that should help navigate any choppy waters of siblings feeling butt hurt or friends feeling used (when in fact you are the one being used if you don't make them pay their freight). Again, do what you want with your points, but it feels like some are asking for advice on how to handle angst associated with this combined families vacation. :)

Which is why so many of us have different ways of handling! It’s definitely how you view the rooms and access for others.

I know it seems silly to include about tickets and stuff but it makes things so much clearer before they accept or decline to be sure all are on the same page, even when you offer an invite to come.

Well, I have a big group going down for Thanksgiving, 11 people spread over a GV and a 2 bedroom unit. Since there are so many, they've gone together to pay for my flight and meals/groceries. Usually, with smaller groups, they take me out for a nice table service meal.

My philosophy is that if I'm offering someone (a family member, for example), and they're fine sleeping in the LR of a one bedroom, I don't charge them. But, if I need to change my booking to something larger, I'm using extra points for which I expect to be compensated.

A while ago, friends of ours wanted to co-vacation with us. They normally stay at POR and asked if it would be possible to stay at BLT with us. We figured out the point difference, multiplied by our actual cost (maintenance fees plus the cost of the points including time value of money), and found that it was cheaper to have them stay in the second bedroom of a 2BR than at POR. They thought it was a great deal.

I think it depends on whether I invited or someone asked to come along. I only invite close friends and family who I won't take money from, whether I book a studio or have to go bigger. If they are kind enough to want to reciprocate by paying for this or that, I'm happy to accept.

Now if someone asked to stay with me at DVC without me inviting them first, the default answer is sorry the studio is maxed out with my wife, kid, and my mom. No you can't bring a sleeping bag and sleep on the floor. If they ask if I can get a bigger place, the answer is I'm out of points. Rarely do I find being nice to people who impose will lead to a good outcome.

We haven´t charged for family either. Lately, we have the driving families be in charge of the meals. I thought that was great, I didn´t have to shop or cook, and they brought food from home. It´s usually only a couple of nights.

What do people do when friends suggest going together, never implying staying together, but it makes sense to get a 2 bed together, and I think they would be fine with it?

I am planning a trip in 2022, we will be 10 ( husband , four kids 14-21, parents, sister and brother in law) . My sister is looking to purchase DVC, but if not I will rent my points at the rate offered for owners by the brokers sites. I will secure a studio for them. I think by paying they do not feel like they owe you. I am inviting my parents for their 50 anniversary so they are not paying for anything.

I think it depends on whether I invited or someone asked to come along. I only invite close friends and family who I won't take money from, whether I book a studio or have to go bigger. If they are kind enough to want to reciprocate by paying for this or that, I'm happy to accept.
This, exactly. We've never had anyone ask to come with us; we have invited others to come with us, with specific conditions stated up front.

I agree with this. Points have monetary value, and those points used for friends/extended family are points that can't be used for my immediate family. We have planned a few extended family trips, and have paid for a studio for my MIL or invited my mom to join us in our 1BR for free, usually it has been for a milestone birthday gift... But our siblings, their spouses, and nieces/nephews get their own villa and pay us a reduced "family rate" for our points, which is approximately our MF plus initial price of the contract divided over the total years of the contract (not including time value of money). And of course people pay for their own tickets/flights! (Although we have included tickets for my MIL or mom as part of their "birthday gift".)

I have done a few trips and invited:
My sister and her kids(basically adult age) in two bedroom villa-with my kids and I. She bought DVC on that trip. We split groceries for room cost....that was it.
My son's billet family from Canada when he played hockey. (he lived with them and were reimbursed but I am so grateful to them)
My niece, her friend and child (they bought me a couple of Alex and Ani bracelets-so sweet of them)
This June 10 of my daughter's nearest and dearest friends on a graduation trip (grand villa for them-studio for myself and another mom for sideline chaperoning)
This June 2 of my daughter's other nearest and dearest friends on a grad trip and their moms, two weeks after the first group!

In most cases when people are done paying for plane, and tickets they are tapped out and the thought of paying towards a room seems daunting. Most would not be able to go due to the costs. So I enjoy sharing my DVC and if they throw me a bone it is so kind of them, but I make sure not to expect anything from them so I wont be dissapointed or put out. The friendship is more important and I only offer the lodging if I can handle it and not need the $$.

o you cover the room since you pay for the points anyway? Do you have them chip in some of the cost and if so how do you figure out what is reasonable?
You are right- there is no right or wrong way to handle it. But some people have the misconception that timeshare rooms are free so they think nothing of hitching a ride with you. If you are using the same size accommodations as you normally would for your own traveling party then i would be inclined to not charge someone. If you are required to use more points (thus affecting your point availably for future trips) then i would charge them an amount per point for the extra points needed to book the room. You could give them the going rate ($17-20pp) or cover your MF (~$7-8 pp).

You should have some sort of agreement in place that if they back out by a certain date that you can not refund their money. Especially if your points would go into holding or be then unbankable. Depending upon how close of friends or even family may determine how you handle the situation.

Ask yourself this: If you were to rent a beach house together would you foot the whole bill too? If not then yes, they should pay something for the accommodations.

We do not charge family, but every time we go with family members they offer to pay for our groceries for the villa/some of our meals. We do not charge them, but they always proactively treat us to things when we bring them on points.

Even if they didn’t do that, I wouldn’t charge them.

If we've invited non-family to share our vacation then I feel that invitation implies the room is on us and we do not ask for anything. If we're enjoying a meal or beverage together and they want to cover the cost then I give them that respect.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter