• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sharing Tables at Counter Service Restaurants

Years ago, at POP during breakfast hours. I had just me, looked and looked for a seat. Nothing. Finally I saw a table for about 12 with one person sitting there with a bunch of jackets whatever. I came in with one breath said, Hi I've been looking for a seat and it looks like you're holding this table while others get the food, as soon as they get here, I 'll get up and leave. ok? the person sort of nodded. Perhaps she didn't understand a word I said . And then I sat at the end and wolfed my food down. Pancakes you really need a table to eat at. I was done before anyone showed up.

I would never sit at someone else's table. I think it is rude to sit down at a table with strangers without asking permission. If a QS place is crowded, typically some of our party will look for an open table while others get the food. In the age of covid, I would also want to keep my personal space separate from those I don't know. I think an amusement park restaurant is different from a school cafeteria or business setting where you are more likely to have something in common with the other people. Even if the other party doesn't speak English, it is still rude to sit at someone else's table without asking permission.

Occasionally someone has asked to use the empty chairs from our table and I am fine with that. However, in those cases the other party asked if it was OK, they didn't just walk over and start taking what appear to be empty chairs.
Sorry but I think it’s incredibly rude for people to “save” seats so their party can get food while those who already have food struggle to find seats.

Well to each their own. If you go to a crowded restaurant whether @ Disney or someplace like Panera's, there is a constant turnover of people. Seems to me to be good planning if you look for a table when one becomes available.

I always think, if you're bothered by seat saving or the possibility that someone will ask to join you, you should try to eat counter service at off hours.
Problem solved. :)

We were eating at Cantina de San Angel during a busy mealtime, just Dh and I and could only manage to find a 4 top open as someone was leaving. This was after we circled the place for like 10 minutes with our tray. About halfway through our meal a group of 6 came in and managed to snag th eonly available table at the time...a 2 top. They scrunched in, some standing, while they began to eat. So I offered to switch tables with them. They were so grateful and relieved! As I was getting up to move our stuff over, some other group swoops in and tries to claim our table. When I told them no and explained what was happening, I thought they were going to throw their tray at us!

In June, I both asked and was asked if empty seats were available to sit down to eat. I happily granted permission (and was granted permission) for them to sit. Quick service is just that, get your food, eat it , and move on. I can’t believe anyone would choose that atmosphere for highly confidential conversations.

Quick service is just that, get your food, eat it , and move on. I can’t believe anyone would choose that atmosphere for highly confidential conversations.
Well since Disney seems hellbent on removing every bench and shaded seating area around the parks, I think it’s perfectly fine for people to take as long as they want with their meals with the creeping cost of QS and be able to rest for a few moments before they get going again since that’s clearly where the bean counters are trying to push people now by taking away additional outdoor seating where people would normally sit and rest for a few moments.

Also nobody’s saying they’re having the most private, in depth conversations during their meals at these places. It’s just uncomfortable talking about the rest of your plans for the day or where you’re heading next or looking over family photos etc like someone else mentioned when you feel like somebody else is listening in.

Meal times are family time in my eyes and I’ll gladly give away spare chairs we don’t need to be taken elsewhere or motion over someone looking for a table as we’re leaving like I already said but I prefer not to have strangers sitting with us and that’s just my preference.

Well since Disney seems hellbent on removing every bench and shaded seating area around the parks, I think it’s perfectly fine for people to take as long as they want with their meals with the creeping cost of QS and be able to rest for a few moments before they get going again since that’s clearly where the bean counters are trying to push people now by taking away additional outdoor seating where people would normally sit and rest for a few moments.

Also nobody’s saying they’re having the most private, in depth conversations during their meals at these places. It’s just uncomfortable talking about the rest of your plans for the day or where you’re heading next or looking over family photos etc like someone else mentioned when you feel like somebody else is listening in.

Meal times are family time in my eyes and I’ll gladly give away spare chairs we don’t need to be taken elsewhere or motion over someone looking for a table as we’re leaving like I already said but I prefer not to have strangers sitting with us and that’s just my preference.
You said this so well. Thank you

If, for example, two people have chosen to sit at a table for 6 or more, I would politely ask whether they would mind if we joined them and think them extraordinarily rude and selfish if they refused. Maybe it is a British thing.
Or maybe a Southern thing
It happens to us all the time, and we have no issues with it. And we've asked to share with others at times. Don't think a thing about it.
Usually it's not at an indoor place like ABC Commissary and the like but the picnic tables around American pavilion at Epcot or the outdoor area at Saultui (sp?) at AK, almost every trip, we share with someone, either at our request or someone else's
Never entered my mind to say no. Not if it's 2 seated and me and my DH asking to share the other half.
I wouldn't however, squeeze in our 2 with a group of 5 or 6. Or even 2 with a group of 4.

If I were to ask to sit with strangers at a QS restaurant, it would only be because I already have my food and there is nowhere else to sit. If someone had empty room at their table and refused to allow me to sit there, I would honestly be shocked at the selfishness. Yes, we all want a break and some quiet time, but you're at a fast food restaurant in a theme park; adjust your expectations. I would bet that the stranger joining you would also prefer to have their own private table too! I have a feeling that there's a lot of people at Disney who don't live in an urban environment and are just not used to needing to share space with others in public--this is also apparent from some of the bus-related topics.

I can't think of a time that we shared with anyone at an indoor CS. A few times I've asked to sit with people at picnic tables scattered around Epcot for Food and Wine. If someone did ask though, I'd be glad to share with them. I'm not sure I would have the courage to ask someone if I could sit with them if I were having trouble finding a place though - I'm pretty timid when it comes to that sort of stuff.

We do enjoy eating at Biergarten and have had some great conversations with other diners, but have also had some awkward dinners there too.

Not Disney but years ago when I was living in the UK this happened at a sit down (not QS restaurant) to me and my spouse. It was just the two of us and we were seated at a booth that might seat four if you knew the other two people really well; we were deep into a private conversation when someone came by and asked if they could sit with us and we were so caught off guard that we agreed; they then brought three other people with them so my spouse and I were squished into the wall on either side with four other adults. We ended up getting up and standing in the middle of the (small) restaurant for awhile while we waited for another table to open.

This happened to us one time. They did ask, although they asked for the chairs and we thought they were taking them to another table. The proceeded to sit down and then started talking politics even though it was clear we were not interested. It was really awful and took awhile after we left to get back in a Disney frame of mind.

I think it depends on how big the table is and how many people and how close they would be to you. If you are 2 people at a 6 or 8 person table - you should expect people to sit at the other end. I think if they have 2 and they sit at the far end and there are spaces inbetween - not necessary to ask. I think if they have 4 and will be sitting right next to you - they should ask - but i think its only polite to say yes. If you dont want any extra peop[le - dont sit at a table for 6+ If you are at a 4 top - and 2 people want to join - I think for sure they should ask - and even then - I personally would not ask to join a 2 top as a 2 top because those tables are usually small and seating is close together - unless there is some division between two tables where it can be a 4 or 2- 2 tops. In general I think people should try and be kind and polite to each other and recognize everyone just wants to sit down and eat their food while its hot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter