Sharing magic band for Genie Plus

ktgrace317

Earning My Ears
Getting genie + for HS. My mother won't go on Rockin Roller Coaster. Can she pass her band over so someone can ride it twice? Or should I just not make her a genie + reservation for that ride?

Shouldn't be an issue as long as she's actually in the park with you. Should work the same way as with FP+ where family's could trade bands. As long as she paid for Genie+ she can get the reservation and someone in the party can use it.

We did this at HS in November with a guy using a girl's band to ride and nothing was said about it. Worked fine.

We also did this in November. The person whose band was being used had been to the park but was no longer at the park when I used her magic band.

She had a park reservation for that day, of course, but I don't know if it would have worked if she never entered the park that day.

I think this is going to be all fun and games until we eventually read about someone being ejected and trespassed from the parks for doing this. This technically violates Disney’s TOS and you never know when they might suddenly decide to enforce it, especially now that you are talking about a paid system versus the old free fastpass system. Do this at your peril in my opinion. If they caught someone doing this with a park admission (using someone else’s AP who wasn’t in the park that day for example to try to tap into the entrance turnstiles) they’d almost certainly eject them. This is now a paid system so I could see them doing something similar here. Otherwise you could also use this to get away with not purchasing Genie+ for everyone in your party.

I think this is going to be all fun and games until we eventually read about someone being ejected and trespassed from the parks for doing this. This technically violates Disney’s TOS and you never know when they might suddenly decide to enforce it, especially now that you are talking about a paid system versus the old free fastpass system. Do this at your peril in my opinion. If they caught someone doing this with a park admission (using someone else’s AP who wasn’t in the park that day for example to try to tap into the entrance turnstiles) they’d almost certainly eject them. This is now a paid system so I could see them doing something similar here. Otherwise you could also use this to get away with not purchasing Genie+ for everyone in your party.

But how? If you didn't purchase for everyone, it's not like anyone is riding more than one time per ride. I agree that it's not allowed, but at the same time, no one is getting an "advantage." This is as long as someone is IN the park. If not, it will not work and is for sure not allowed.

But how? If you didn't purchase for everyone, it's not like anyone is riding more than one time per ride. I agree that it's not allowed, but at the same time, no one is getting an "advantage." This is as long as someone is IN the park. If not, it will not work and is for sure not allowed.
Sure you’re getting an advantage. If some people only want to ride some rides and some others only want ot ride others then normally you would have had to buy genie+ for each of them but you are now describing a situation where you don’t have to do that. Or if someone is going to be in the park earlier and then trade-off (literally what has been described in this thread) then the same thing. Again, I’m not arguing this from a philosophical issue, I’m arguing this from a “this is a clear violation of Disney’s TOS and they could decide to expel and trespass you for it.” Fastpass+ was free, this is not. They have made clear in their words and actions that they care more about enforcing it now that it can effect their bottom line. Switch off magicbands to utilize genie+ at your own peril.

Sure you’re getting an advantage. If some people only want to ride some rides and some others only want ot ride others then normally you would have had to buy genie+ for each of them but you are now describing a situation where you don’t have to do that. Or if someone is going to be in the park earlier and then trade-off (literally what has been described in this thread) then the same thing. Again, I’m not arguing this from a philosophical issue, I’m arguing this from a “this is a clear violation of Disney’s TOS and they could decide to expel and trespass you for it.” Fastpass+ was free, this is not. They have made clear in their words and actions that they care more about enforcing it now that it can effect their bottom line. Switch off magicbands to utilize genie+ at your own peril.

I haven’t studied Disney’s TOS to see if this specific practice is a technical violation, but I think the risk of getting expelled from the park because of it is extremely low. At worst I would think the person might be denied entry to the attraction, and in practice they don’t seem to do that.

I wouldn‘t buy Genie+ for someone who doesn’t want to use it for anything, but sharing a band for one attraction seems pretty harmless. The risk of being kicked out of the park is probably lower than the risk of getting a speeding ticket for driving one MPH over the limit.

We had purchased ILL's for EE at AK and my DH didn't want to ride so he gave his magic band to our kids Godfather who rode in his place. No questions asked.

Yea a bit dramatic here. Unless they start installing fingerprint scanners at LL it’s not going to be an issue. Now theoretically if you got busted for something else and we’re pulled by security who then discovered you were using other peoples magic bands I’m sure they would factor that in to how hard to punish that person, but as it is there is no system in place to monitor this and with the one ride limit basically no way-at least an extremely limited use case- to “game the system” and make it worth Disney’s effort to start. Moreover it will be an extremely common occurrence as older family members will be making use of less adventurous and younger family members bands all the time, and so starting to argue with regular guest that they can’t use the LL they paid for their younger child to for their older child while slowing down LL and investing in monitoring equipment just wouldn’t make any sense to try to catch a random AP user that might have let his friend pick up a LL or two if he left early.

I have seen pictures pop up in the past when someone scans a band... This last trip I watched and never saw it, but that doesn't mean that their system isn't tracking this with facial recognition. While I doubt they kick you out... it might cause an issue on a future entry into the park.

I have seen pictures pop up in the past when someone scans a band... This last trip I watched and never saw it, but that doesn't mean that their system isn't tracking this with facial recognition. While I doubt they kick you out... it might cause an issue on a future entry into the park.

The only time a picture comes up at a LL tap point is when a disability pass is in use so the CM can verify; and that picture was taken in advance and linked to the MB.

There is no picture with G+ or $LL and the CM has no way to tell if the correct person is riding.

I wouldn't worry about a guest switching bands now and then if someone changes their mind or can't ride and you have paid for access.

Last edited:
I've only seen this when you tap into a park and the band isn't working.
I've never seen them do anything except see that the color changes when you tap in for a FP or now LL.

This ^

I know that both myself and my husband currently have photos attached to our MDE accounts, and all active magic bands or AP cards. Whenever we tap in at an attraction, our photos pop up on the screen. So, while you might currently get away with using someone else's magic band & genie+, you also might not. If the person happens to have a photo attached for any reason, you will likely be turned away at the LL tap in point for an attraction (unless you can provide your own band/card showing that you actually do have an active LL window). But I could definitely see Disney eventually attaching photo identification to all bands and cards, in order to prevent this sort of swapping.

Wrong example for children, I think. Easy to rationalize, small thing in the big picture of things, but wrong. Sad that Disney may have to add further checks to enforce honesty.

This ^

I know that both myself and my husband currently have photos attached to our MDE accounts, and all active magic bands or AP cards. Whenever we tap in at an attraction, our photos pop up on the screen. So, while you might currently get away with using someone else's magic band & genie+, you also might not. If the person happens to have a photo attached for any reason, you will likely be turned away at the LL tap in point for an attraction (unless you can provide your own band/card showing that you actually do have an active LL window). But I could definitely see Disney eventually attaching photo identification to all bands and cards, in order to prevent this sort of swapping.

The only time a picture "pops up" at a LL typestyle is when the guest is using DAS.

Wrong example for children, I think. Easy to rationalize, small thing in the big picture of things, but wrong. Sad that Disney may have to add further checks to enforce honesty.
How is it rationalizing dishonesty? What difference does it make if person A rides using their LL, or Person B takes their spot? One spot, one person in line. Of all the unfortunate things that happen and the 'hacks' that take place, someone using a LL pass for someone else is very low on the list. They've both bought admission and both bought Genie+. Disney's happy!

Yes we did it a lot last week because my 3 year old is too short for a lot of the big rides. No problem- not something I think Disney cares about at all

Honestly somebody needs to link to the terms and conditions. I just read the fastpass+ terms and conditions and don’t see anything that indicates it’s a problem to give your ride pass to someone else. Most of it is explaining that they are not responsible if someone else uses it and that if someone else books it for you and it expires then tough cookies. If you pay for a LL and have access to the LL then let someone else you care about use it then I haven’t seen anything indicating that’s a breach of tos but I also haven’t found the G+ terms. If it is I think it is a Stupid rule, but before getting on any high horses the specific policy should probably be identified.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter