• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Share your kicks

Poppins2010

Mouseketeer
I'm about a month away from my park trip, and it is time to start breaking in a new pair of shoes. I know this topic has appeared in the forum before, but I thought it might be time for a refresh. The comfort of my feet is the most important thing to me ..... higher ranking that outfit choice, or what ears to wear! What shoes are your go-to for the park? Do you like sandals? Sneakers? Crocs? If it matters, I have high arches. Thanks for the suggestions!

I generally look at what is popular for nurses at the time I'm going as there is so much standing and that weird kind of walk and stop mechanic in lines. My wife wears sandals and crocs as they are the most comfortable for her, not sure how she does it, but she is much smaller than I am and it does provide an advantage on wet rides....

We also bring a massage gun and it is the hardest working member of our trip.

Well, I run for exercise. Therfore, I wear my running shoes to the parks. Every time. Literally NO ONE cares what shoes you are wearing, I promise. You will rarely take a photo that includes your feet. Wear what is the most comfortable.

For my teens, that would be Crocs, but they both have absolutely FLAT feet. I cannot wear Crocs with my high arches.

In summer, I can get away with Fit Flops.

I do not work for Hoka One One or profit from this review…:)
High arches, and a far too young hip replacement (50) so I’ve tried every major brand of athletic shoe and have landed on Hoka One One, the Bondi series are the most comfortable shoes I’ve ever worn and will remain comfortable all day (10+ miles/day of walking). They are uniquely styled, but not so fashionable they forget function. They also make a sandal that is very comfortable. My wife loves Keen sandals in the summer, but I find them a bit heavy and stick with Hoka. She has recently converted to Hoka for days she wants an athletic shoe and added the Hoka sandal to her rotation. I also bring two pair of shoes and rotate them so they have a chance to recover and possibly dry from the previous day. Our 13 yo son also wears Hokas in the park and for school.
Have a great trip. We will be there President’s Weekend too.
Mike

I always wear sneakers. I have high arches, too. I wear asics gel-venture trail running shoes, they are very comfortable and supportive. I always try to buy a new pair a couple months before my trip so I can break them in. And I pack blister bandaids in my luggage because every visit at least one person in my family gets a blister.

Running shoes & sandals (usually comfortable flip flops, like Olu Kai, that have been broken in). I don't have any arch issues that I'm aware of, just big fat feet that don't like the running shoes after a while. I like to switch them out during the day with the sandals. At night, it's the running shoes only because I get cold very easily. Sometimes I bring a nicer pair of flats if I'm going to dinner someplace like Napa Rose.

We went to WDW in 2019 and I brought a pair of Hoka One Ones and another pair of high quality sneakers- name is escaping me right now. My feet were tired for sure, but I was not in the PAIN that I remember being in as a kid after a day at the parks.

My BEST advice is to go to a specialty running store and have them recommend shoes for you and look at your gait, etc etc etc. Then try a bunch on and have them guide you. I am NOT a runner or really much of an athlete at all but I was so glad I did it.

We're heading to DLR this spring and I'm going back to our local running store to update my kicks.

I usually wear my AllBirds (Tree Dasher) - mostly because they’re well ventilated and comfortable enough for me, but I don’t have any orthopedic considerations.

Not great lateral support, so if you’re uphill/downhill, your foot tends to push up against the material…but DLR doesn’t really have hills, so we’re good there.

BF63C5A9-A317-4E33-896B-35F9DEBFF191.png

For rainy days, I have their Mizzle line of shoe — but they failed to keep my feet dry in a downpour (tbf, they’re advertised as water resistant and not proof). I have a pair of Vessi’s I’ve been meaning to try at the park, but they’ve held up well so far this season with all the rain we’ve been having.

You will rarely take a photo that includes your feet.
LOL -- in our travels, we have a series of photos showing only our feet surrounding some type of ground marker. :)

Beyond that particular photo intention, my husband is always asking, "Do you want your feet?" -- his way of asking how I want the shot framed. Most often, my answer is, "Yes! Include the feet!" I really don't like being cropped off at the knee. If the shot is meant to show a full body, show the full body. I like to be intentional with the framing and cropping. (I'm glad my husband remembers to ask, right?)

Edited to add, for OP: My footwear is split between Dawgs Z sandals or Vans slip-ons ... but neither address your request for high arch support.

UnderArmour flip flops. I have 4 pair, 2 with memory foam and 2 unpadded. I wear them all times of year and in all weather. If it's cold I wear tabi or toe sox with them. If it's real rainy I have a pair of Merrill hiking shoes that will 'do' but my feet hurt by the end of the night. I hate shoes and avoid them when I can. I have weird 'duck-feet' (narrow heel, wide toes) and wear a 'half size' so I have a really hard time finding any shoes that are truly completely comfortable. I can 'do' Crocs, but I'd worry that they'd make my feet all sweaty.

UnderArmour flip flops. I have 4 pair, 2 with memory foam and 2 unpadded. I wear them all times of year and in all weather. If it's cold I wear tabi or toe sox with them. If it's real rainy I have a pair of Merrill hiking shoes that will 'do' but my feet hurt by the end of the night. I hate shoes and avoid them when I can. I have weird 'duck-feet' (narrow heel, wide toes) and wear a 'half size' so I have a really hard time finding any shoes that are truly completely comfortable. I can 'do' Crocs, but I'd worry that they'd make my feet all sweaty.
I have weird feet, too--they sound a bit like yours in the way that they broaden at my toes. My heel area is normal but the width between my little toe and big toe is super wide. In addition, the bridge of my foot is tall and I have to be cautious about that because if my shoes are tied too tightly or constrict in that area, the top of my foot gets so sore that it feels bruised for days. Because of that toe area, I have a EEE width, LOL. Suffice it to say that footwear for me can be challenging, but then again, as long as my shoes are wide and roomy enough from arch to top of foot, I have no issues walking for long periods over several days.

Last visit I wore ON Cloud runners and I noticed many others wearing that brand. I'd never heard of it before we went but I was determined to get a good pair of waterproof walking shoes for DL and, these fit the bill perfectly. My daughter's a nurse and she said a lot of her cohort buy that brand as well.

We've been at WDW since Tuesday. Wed-Sat I did between 21,000 and 30,000 steps.

• Wed - Skechers Go Walk all day
  • Thurs - Go Walks most of the day, switched to crocs after our dinner break
  • Fri - Adidas Stan Smiths in the morning, crocs in the evening
  • Sat - Go Walks in the morning, crocs in the evening
  • Sun - Go Walks in the morning, crocs mid-day, Go Walks in the evening
My feet are tired, but they are not sore at all, and I have no blisters. The Go Walks are a dream, but you have to switch off occasionally.

I have weird feet, too--they sound a bit like yours in the way that they broaden at my toes. My heel area is normal but the width between my little toe and big toe is super wide. In addition, the bridge of my foot is tall and I have to be cautious about that because if my shoes are tied too tightly or constrict in that area, the top of my foot gets so sore that it feels bruised for days. Because of that toe area, I have a EEE width, LOL. Suffice it to say that footwear for me can be challenging, but then again, as long as my shoes are wide and roomy enough from arch to top of foot, I have no issues walking for long periods over several days.

Here's to weird feet!! NOT! There used to be a company that made 'wide toe/narrow heel' shoes back in the day, but I can't remember the name, plus they pretty much made only dress shoes.

My 'secondary issue' is the height of the back of the shoe. I don't know what it is about my heels, but shoes all seem to rub me a blister at the top of the shoe/back of my heel. It's like the shoe backs are too tall (or my heels are too short). I've tried everything but taking a pair of cutters and 'trimming' the heel-top.

Oh, to have the resources to get custom made shoes!!!

I have wide feet and they get sore very easily. I can't wear a lot of different shoes, even for a short period of time. The last two times I went to the parks I wore my Clark's sandals and my feet were totally fine.
I don't know how to add a picture but they're Clark's Breeze Sea Flip Flop.

Here's to weird feet!! NOT! There used to be a company that made 'wide toe/narrow heel' shoes back in the day, but I can't remember the name, plus they pretty much made only dress shoes.

New Balance has two "lasts," one is for normals and the other for us "skinny heel, fat toe box" people. I think, but I'm no shoe salesperson, that it was the SL2 last.

Brooks have a good wide toe box and a thinner heel. The "lace lock" lacing pattern was a game-changer for me, now the heels never slip! (Please enjoy the fantastic background music):

My 'secondary issue' is the height of the back of the shoe. I don't know what it is about my heels, but shoes all seem to rub me a blister at the top of the shoe/back of my heel. It's like the shoe backs are too tall (or my heels are too short). I've tried everything but taking a pair of cutters and 'trimming' the heel-top.

Oh, to have the resources to get custom made shoes!!!

I have the same problem with the back top of my shoe with most of them. I have since found the Adidas Cloudfoam shoe that I absolutely love. It has a "tab" style back to help pull on the shoe that doesn't cut into the back of my heel. Also because the top material is a stretchy fabric it helps with my narrower heel/wider toe situation. They take a very short time to break in and I have 4 pairs now. They are my go to walking shoe and have made it to 5 disney trips now, and last the full 16 hours with minimally sore feet.

I still use my Foot glide to help with blisters on the ball of the foot, but TBF I haven't tried wearing them at DIsney without because I'm too paranoid not to after a few experiences back in the day with other shoes.

A bonus is they are actually cute too.

I wear crocs but the Kadee style flats. I usually have several pairs in different colours on the go. They are comfortable and being able to wear them on wet rides and/or wash and dry them is a big bonus. It's my go to shoe in Hawaii as well. I've worn through multiple pairs but they don't make them in fun colours anymore. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter