Shanghai City to Disney Transportation

cschaaf

DIS Veteran
I'm interested in figuring out transportation from Shanghai city - particularly the Four Seasons - to Disney. Bing Maps shows that it's a 2.5 hour trip on public transportation. That doesn't seem right, and I don't know how accurate Bing is in China. Google Maps still doesn't even know Shanghai Disney exists.

Public transportation would be our preference, as there are likely 6 of us going, but a cab would work too.

We're going on a Viking cruise in July 2017 and are trying to figure out if it's worth adding some days in Shanghai to our trip to go to Disney (among other things). Viking puts you in the Four Seasons in Shanghai. If it's a 2-hour trip each way, it wouldn't be worth it for us to go to Disney.

Any one know the transportation logistics from the city?

I have no experience with Bing maps, but it's indeed not on Google yet. It is on Baidu, the Chinese maps site. Only problem: it's in Chinese only.

Either way, you have to get to the end of Subway line 11. On googlemaps currently the last station is Luoshan Road. From Four Seasons in the city center it's about 1.5 hours to Luoshan Road. I think 2 hours by public transportation is not a bad guess.

It's only 20 minutes by car. I would consider taking a taxi.

Other suggestion: ask Vikings if you can book your hotel yourself and let them only handle the cruise part. There are closer hotel options.

Last edited:
Thank you, Karin

I agree with your other suggestion. We may just have Viking get us an earlier flight and not do the extension through them. Then we can stay on property and not have to worry about how to get to the park ;)

It's definitely worth adding some days. I was at DLS last week and it's awesome.

I vote for staying somewhere else too.

The train is a great and efficient way of getting around the city, but it is a long trip out to Disneyland, and it would just eat into your day too much. Plus, the trains don't run very late into the night, and you'd probably find that you'd have to leave Disneyland well before closing depending on what connections you'd need to make.

Much better to stay onsite, and easily be able to make both rope drop and park closing, when the lines are at their shortest :thumbsup2

Thanks, all.

We're definitely considering all of our options.

If we get Viking to move our flight, but not take their extension, it would cost us $100 just to change + any difference in the cost of the flights.

We're looking at 3 nights at Toy Story (hopefully at the lowest price, but we can't see that far in advance yet) and 2-day passes. All of those together would add another ~$900 to our trip (not counting food and the transfer we'll need to get from Toy Story to our hotel in Shanghai.

On one hand, that's a lot of money to spend for 2 days in the park. And there are plenty of other things we could see in Shanghai with that time.

On the other, we'll likely never be back in Shanghai - and it's likely we'll never be make it to any of the other Disney parks outside of the US.

Seen several mention of the subway closing early in the evening; do the taxis continue to be there late into the evening?

cschaaf,
This is exactly our plan. We are taking the Avalon China trip in October 2016 and have added a couple of days in Shanghai to visit SDL. We added the additional days on our own and will be moving out to stay on the SDL property. All of my research showed that it would take 2 hours on public transportation and anywhere from 20 minutes to 1 1/2 hours in a taxi to get out to SDL, depending on traffic. That was just too much time out of our day.

I was at SDL on August 6. I stayed at the Renaissance Yangtze, which is further away from SDL than the Four Seasons.
The subway ride was a little more than an hour (took Line 10 from Yili Road to Line 11 to SDL).

Taxi or subway are both ok. They are dirt cheap in Shanghai (subway = $1/pp each way, taxi about $30/carload each way). It will take about an hour to get to SDL either way. Not sure about the difficulty in getting a taxi back to the hotel, but the subway will be packed on the return. Advice: if you are taking the subway back to the hotel, get your return ticket in the morning. Also as a previous poster said, the subway closes relatively early, like 10:30 or 11:00 pm.

If money isn't a concern, take a taxi back to the hotel. You will be exhausted and will find a crowded subway a bit of an annoyance.

The following link is great for the Shanghai subway. I think you are nearest where Lines 2 and 12 cross.
http://www.exploreshanghai.com/metro/#

It is an interactive map. Trace where Line 2 and 12 intersect (West Nanjing Road). Click on it. Click on "First and Last" to see when the line runs. Click on "Plan Route" to see how to get to SL (the eastern most point on Line 11)

Last edited:
I'm interested in figuring out transportation from Shanghai city - particularly the Four Seasons - to Disney. Bing Maps shows that it's a 2.5 hour trip on public transportation. That doesn't seem right, and I don't know how accurate Bing is in China. Google Maps still doesn't even know Shanghai Disney exists.

No way.
The subway will take a little more than an hour from the Four Seasons Shanghai.
The taxi might take two hours at the height of rush hour, but if you took a taxi it would be in the early AM or the late PM...so about an hour without the traffic

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter