SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

Hi all! I have some very random (and hopefully not ignorant) questions about SoG for a possible future trip.

We are taking our first trip to WDW and not staying at SoG, but FIL offered to come with us and book rooms there for all of us. We said no because for one, DH doesn't want his father along with us, and we didn't feel that we are who SoG is meant for. On the other hand, FIL is all gung-ho about "cheap disney" (his words). FIL was drafted into the army in the 60s, served his time (a year?), and that's it. We have no other military ties. DH and I felt that we would not only be out of place, but that we were taking advantage of FIL's military benefit.

Would we, as a not really military family be out of place at Shades of Green? DH and I are 44 and 43, and DD is 5. Our next trip might be in 2 or 3 years. FIL will be about 75 by that time. What kind of price would we get? Would FIL be able to book more than one room? (Because staying in the same room as him is NOT happening.)

Sorry I can't be of help, @IrishNYC. I've never been to Shades of Green. But I would think, from my experience on military bases, that the community would be very friendly to you. If you think your lack of military experience will be a source of tension, don't bring it up.

I have a question about the Palm Suite at Shades of Green.

I'm wanting to visit DisneyWorld with a group of 8 adults and 1 older teenager and my mother-in-law wants to stay at Shades of Green. I saw a video tour someone put up on youtube of the Palm Suite, and I noticed that it has 4 full/queen sized beds, but the third room has 4 bunk beds for children. In the video, the beds looked small and the space in the room was very minimal. The smallest in our group is 5'4" (and it's me). Is the "kids' room" at all acceptable for an adult to sleep in? Or are the beds too small?

Hi all! I have some very random (and hopefully not ignorant) questions about SoG for a possible future trip.

We are taking our first trip to WDW and not staying at SoG, but FIL offered to come with us and book rooms there for all of us. We said no because for one, DH doesn't want his father along with us, and we didn't feel that we are who SoG is meant for. On the other hand, FIL is all gung-ho about "cheap disney" (his words). FIL was drafted into the army in the 60s, served his time (a year?), and that's it. We have no other military ties. DH and I felt that we would not only be out of place, but that we were taking advantage of FIL's military benefit.

Would we, as a not really military family be out of place at Shades of Green? DH and I are 44 and 43, and DD is 5. Our next trip might be in 2 or 3 years. FIL will be about 75 by that time. What kind of price would we get? Would FIL be able to book more than one room? (Because staying in the same room as him is NOT happening.)

I don't think you would feel out of place at all at SOG. You really can't even tell it is military. My husband didn't want to stay there for years because he didn't want to feel he was at a military place while on vacation. Once we stayed there, he loved it. I recently took my parents and my sisters and their family and none of them are military. We had a great time. However, are you sure you are able to stay at SOG? The person sponsoring has to be active duty or retired from the military. If your FIL only served a few years, then he wouldn't be eligible. I do think certain months (I want to say January and September) they do allow people with an honorary discharge to stay, but that is all. You would have to check with SOG about that. Either way, have a great trip!

I don't think you would feel out of place at all at SOG. You really can't even tell it is military. My husband didn't want to stay there for years because he didn't want to feel he was at a military place while on vacation. Once we stayed there, he loved it. I recently took my parents and my sisters and their family and none of them are military. We had a great time. However, are you sure you are able to stay at SOG? The person sponsoring has to be active duty or retired from the military. If your FIL only served a few years, then he wouldn't be eligible. I do think certain months (I want to say January and September) they do allow people with an honorary discharge to stay, but that is all. You would have to check with SOG about that. Either way, have a great trip!
Thank you! That's sort of what I thought about my FIL's service and staying there, but he's never wrong. ;) I think it's a non-issue anyway because I don't want to go on any vacation with him, least of all Disney.

[QUOTE="
I have a question about the Palm Suite at Shades of Green.

I'm wanting to visit DisneyWorld with a group of 8 adults and 1 older teenager and my mother-in-law wants to stay at Shades of Green. I saw a video tour someone put up on youtube of the Palm Suite, and I noticed that it has 4 full/queen sized beds, but the third room has 4 bunk beds for children. In the video, the beds looked small and the space in the room was very minimal. The smallest in our group is 5'4" (and it's me). Is the "kids' room" at all acceptable for an adult to sleep in? Or are the beds too small?[/QUOTE]

I've seen the suites. There is one bedroom and then a communal living room with fold outs. A communal dining area. Not much private space. Personally I think with that many people you would be better off with at least 3 standard rooms and bathrooms. Also the suites are very difficult to reserve You can sometimes reserve them 365 days before arrival. Many times they hold them for reservation until the last minute. The time our friends stayed there, they reserved it the night before arrival as it was the only room left.

I've seen the suites. There is one bedroom and then a communal living room with fold outs. A communal dining area. Not much private space. Personally I think with that many people you would be better off with at least 3 standard rooms and bathrooms. Also the suites are very difficult to reserve You can sometimes reserve them 365 days before arrival. Many times they hold them for reservation until the last minute. The time our friends stayed there, they reserved it the night before arrival as it was the only room left.

Thank you for the feedback! I thought in the video I saw three distinct rooms, but I suppose even the Palm Suites can all be different from one another. And really? Reserving a room a year in advance? I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I may need to ask the in-laws if they've even called to see if a big enough room is available. My mother-in-law has a type A personality, so she wouldn't be able to wait until the last minute to reserve a room. Haha!

Thank you again for the helpful insight!

In response to the poster asking about a large suite at SOG....

There is a large suite at SOG that does have multiple bedrooms including a bunk room that you were talking about. I have never seen it and I have never seen it listed on their site when trying to book a reservation. It probably gets booked the minute it becomes available. As someone else stated, the suites do book quickly. You can see some pictures of the Palm Suite and the other suites on the SOG website. The 6 and 8 person family suites do have one bedroom and the rest of the beds are in the form of sleeper sofas and sometimes a flip down from the wall bed. I would call SOG directly to inquire.

On the other hand, FIL is all gung-ho about "cheap disney" (his words). FIL was drafted into the army in the 60s, served his time (a year?), and that's it. We have no other military ties. DH and I felt that we would not only be out of place, but that we were taking advantage of FIL's military benefit.

I agree with a pervious poster, if your FIL is simply a military veteran, he's not eligible to stay at SOG, unless he books in those limited time periods when it is open to all veterans. So you're worrying for nothing.

Has anyone stayed at Shades of Green when you were there to run the Princess Half Marathon? Just wondering about race transportation, etc....

We have never been over to the Boardwalk area but I hear good things about it - street performers, good restaurants, etc. I'm thinking about checking it out this trip. How would we get there and back from Shades of Green? I guess we could go from Epcot after park closing some evening, but then how to get back to SOG? Would a Taxi be the best option at night? Just something on my list of things I've never done that I would like to!

I would advise just taking a cab. It's quick, the bell hop will call for you. They are probably around 10-15 bucks with tip each way. Not sure but they may have uber as well.
Other option would be to go over via Epcot (this is especially convenient at the end of an Epcot day) as you can just walk over (or take a Friendship boat) from the international gateway exit.
Finally, walk over to TTC (or take MK bus over to ttc if you aren't up for the walk) and take the Boardwalk direct bus from there.

This is just me, but I would never take the DTD route

Woohoo!! Just booked Shades for November 9 - 14...even better, rooms are 35% off! Haven't been there since 2010. What are all the latest and greatest I should know about?

Woohoo!! Just booked Shades for November 9 - 14...even better, rooms are 35% off! Haven't been there since 2010. What are all the latest and greatest I should know about?

That's a great deal! We are going in summer so no discount on our room. I've seen pictures of some pool changes, I've seen Disney parks here went to a magic band, and can't wait to see any other changes. We last went 2011, now returning June 25!

We are retired Navy and stay at SOG at least once and sometimes twice a year. We love it as it has the largest rooms on all of Disney property and it is just a quick walk to the POLY to catch the Monorail. They just refurbished one pool and hopefully the other one will be done when we return this May.

The second pool is complete. We were there mid Dec. and it was almost complete. It was filled with water but not open.

I was wondering if anyone knows if Shades of Green has any specials normally the first week of December. I have been checking their website but only shows deals through November. I am looking to go December 1-9th. We went in September last year and just loved it there!!! Thanks

I was wondering if anyone knows if Shades of Green has any specials normally the first week of December. I have been checking their website but only shows deals through November. I am looking to go December 1-9th. We went in September last year and just loved it there!!! Thanks
I don't know if it was a deal or not but our highest cost for a night the first week of December last year was $125. We bought the Armed Forces Salute ticket package for $177.00. That wasn't announced until the previous year's special ended or close to it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter