SF trip..what not to miss?

bsusanmb

Childhood sweethearts married on the Magic 6/2/13
I have a conference in SF the end of Sept. Never been to CA. DH is going along. We have all day Sunday together. What would be your suggestion on what not to miss? I have seen a tour that goes to Muir Woods, Sausalito and Alcatraz. Is that too much?

Then DH is on his own for the next 3 days...he is great at getting around himself. Have to take public transportation/walk. Can you give us advice on a plan? We are staying at the Hilton 333 O'Farrell St, which says it is 2 blocks from Union Sq. What transportation should he catch to see different sights?

We would like a good seafood meal, within reason...we are not rich by any means...what would you suggest?

I will be free after 4pm each evening, so what should we do? I want to see things in the city also...

As for Alcatraz, I had both of my knees replaced in Nov. They are working fine, but I am not the person I was before the knees were done. Is there a lot of climbing on the tour? I read something about the night tour having to climb ladders...can I do it? I haven't see anything yet that I can't do except kneel...will never be able to kneel again or jump or run. Of course, I couldn't jump or run before..I am 59, so not much of that going to happen here.

I am really excited about our trip and so is DH.

We are going to fly into LA and stay at the new DVC villas at DL for 2 nights after the conference, and then back to SF early afternoon, taking the redeye back to east coast. This will be on a Friday. What could we do on Friday up until the time we leave?

Thanks so much...I hope you CA dis'ers can help us out!
Susan

Yes, my job is paying for transportation to and from SF, so that is why...they arrange the travel, and I can add days on as vacation days, but they aren't going to pay for airfare from a different city...good question, though!

We are hoping to go see the King Tut exhibit while it is in SF......maybe you guys (or your husband on one of his alone days) would enjoy that.

Can't recommend any good sea food restaurants. But happy planning and have a great trip!

What's the date that last day? The Disney Family Museum opens to the public on Oct 1. The d23 preview the preceding weekend is already sold out - I'm going up for that - and will be staying at that same Hilton ( been there before - it is near a questionable area called the tenderloin, but you can easily avoid it walking - plus even though we've walked through it many times no one has ever really bothered us. The street people in SF tend to be ok).

I think the Muirlands etc trip might be a bit much - plus you wouldn't really be seeing SF, just the surrounding area ( although it is beautiful). Alcatraz is fun - and shouldn't be too bad on your knees. Unfortuanately most of Sf will be - it can be very tricky. One street will be so steep there are stairs and one or 2 over will be an easy walk - they need a topological map for visitors! In 1 day I'd stick to Golden Gate park - nice Japanese garden and tea house there, Fisherman's wharf, Coit tower ( hard to park at, but with knee problems you'll need to ), and Alcatraz ( takes off from the Wharf area). Book the Alcatraz tour in advance - it can sell out.

One evening you should go to the Carnelian room at the top of the BofA building for a drink in the bar - amazing views! (52 floors up). They have dinner too, but it's pricey. One of our favorite cheap eats is House of Nanking on Columbus - just at the border of Chinatown. Not touristy at all - full of locals and gets awards every year, but inexpensive.

There's a lot of nightlife - good jazz bars and live music & comedy all around. Get the SF Chronicle & the Guardian from the free corner newstands to check out what's on. Also GREAT theatre - and there is a 1/2 price ticket booth in union square.

Also there is a display of Sleeping Beauty art at the Cartoon Art Museum if you're a fan - very small museum on Howard (near Moscone).

What's the date that last day? The Disney Family Museum opens to the public on Oct 1. The d23 preview the preceding weekend is already sold out - I'm going up for that - and will be staying at that same Hilton ( been there before - it is near a questionable area called the tenderloin, but you can easily avoid it walking - plus even though we've walked through it many times no one has ever really bothered us. The street people in SF tend to be ok).

I think the Muirlands etc trip might be a bit much - plus you wouldn't really be seeing SF, just the surrounding area ( although it is beautiful). Alcatraz is fun - and shouldn't be too bad on your knees. Unfortuanately most of Sf will be - it can be very tricky. One street will be so steep there are stairs and one or 2 over will be an easy walk - they need a topological map for visitors! In 1 day I'd stick to Golden Gate park - nice Japanese garden and tea house there, Fisherman's wharf, Coit tower ( hard to park at, but with knee problems you'll need to ), and Alcatraz ( takes off from the Wharf area). Book the Alcatraz tour in advance - it can sell out.

One evening you should go to the Carnelian room at the top of the BofA building for a drink in the bar - amazing views! (52 floors up). They have dinner too, but it's pricey. One of our favorite cheap eats is House of Nanking on Columbus - just at the border of Chinatown. Not touristy at all - full of locals and gets awards every year, but inexpensive.

There's a lot of nightlife - good jazz bars and live music & comedy all around. Get the SF Chronicle & the Guardian from the free corner newstands to check out what's on. Also GREAT theatre - and there is a 1/2 price ticket booth in union square.

Also there is a display of Sleeping Beauty art at the Cartoon Art Museum if you're a fan - very small museum on Howard (near Moscone).

This is great, thanks so much for all the advice!!! Yes, that last day we will be in SF for the day and I think I will buy tickets to the Walt Disney Museum...and Love Sleeping Beauty!

My parents lived in a town south of Myrtle Beach SC and we always went to eat where the locals eat...so much better than the touristy areas..

I also would suggest the Japanese Tea Garden in Golden Gate Park. It is so pretty. At the tea house you can get tea (or soda if you don't like tea) and it comes with little cookies and crackers and you can look out over the gardens while you eat. We recently went to the tea gardens in balboa park in san diego thinking it would be like the one in SF and we were SO disappointed. It was tiny and not very interesting. The one in SF is really nice. Also at Golden Gate Park is Conservatory of Flowers which is really intersting. It's a big glass building originally opened in the 1800s and then closed for renovation and then it opened again a few years ago. And also at GG park is a lake where you can rent a paddle boat (probably not good for the knees) or a row boat. The one problem we've had with GG park is trying to find something to eat for lunch. You would think there would be a little restaurant or something but we've had a hard time finding anything decent. Last time we ended up walking to a McDonalds near the Flower Coservatory but we would have preferred to stay in the park.

Have a great trip!

I second the recommendation for the Flower Conservatory - and highly recommend joining the free tour of it - it was fascinating. Really enhanced the experience.

I gave the wrong address for the Cartoon Art Museum - it's 655 Mission (still near Moscone). Here's the website:

http://www.cartoonart.org/

Something fun that we did in SF was take the Mr. Toads tour. I am not sure what the running times are but we went during the day. The car is an antique open air vehicle. We went all over the touristy areas of SF and through some interesting neighborhoods. My favorite was the Presidio. The guide was very knowledgeable!

Your hotel looks as if it is very close to the Powell street trolley (the one we used most frequently). We purchased the MUNI? pass that was good for 5? days of public transportation. We were able to get everywhere that we wanted to go.

We did the night tour of Alcatraz. I too have a very bad knee that was flared up from walking up to Coit Tower and I was able to still walk Alcatraz. There is a hill to walk up from the boat to the Alcatraz building. It is gradual. We just took our time.

We also went to Muir Woods and Saulsalito. It was a nice drive and the woods were beautiful. I can't remember the name of the company but we caught the tour bus down near Fisherman's Wharf. The company was nice enough to pick us up at our hotel and take us to the tour bus area.

We spent a lot of time in the Little Italy area. I have been to Italy and am always on the hunt for good food. I finally found it in SF! All of the restaurants in Little Italy are AMAZING! There is also a beautiful bakery and wonderful gelato shop in that area.

Have a good time!

Don't miss riding a cable car (you can give your knees a rest by sitting on the outside bench, but it's always an awful lot of fun to hang on the pole on the standing step). Take the cable car to the Cable Car Museum (check for hours on your visit...I think you'll find it very interesting). Then continue on the cable car to Ghiradelli Square and have some ice cream and chocolate! Fort Point is nearby and is very interesting (though might be more walking than your knees would like). One of my favorite restaurants in the city is The Stinking Rose.

Thanks everyone for your help!! It is so appreciated and can't wait for our trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter