SF to Yosemite to Sequoia NP?

I mentioned YNP because the OP mentioned she wanted to pass through if there was time and was headed to Sequoia for the trees. For sure, SEKI is the place to go for the Giants. I really love the tall Coastal Reds, but the Sequoias in the Sierras have my heart. :love: DH and I will have to visit Redwood Mountain Grove one of these days. The last time we were in that area, we were unable to visit Kings Canyon.

I think SEKI is worth a day at least. Also - the distinction between Sequoia NP and Kings Canyon NP is a pretty artificial one. They're operated essentially as one national park (with one superintendent and one entrance fee), and the limits are sort of artificial. It did start off as Sequoia NP and General Grant NP before the Kings Canyon area was incorporated into General Grant NP (and renamed). If you even look at the area of Kings Canyon NP where Redwood Mountain Grove is located, it feels kind of strange to call it that. It could have easily just been considered an extension of Sequoia NP. It's just this little thumb that hangs off of Sequoia NP.

SEKImap-360-degree-Panoramas-Icons.jpg

I think SEKI is worth a day at least. Also - the distinction between Sequoia NP and Kings Canyon NP is a pretty artificial one. They're operated essentially as one national park (with one superintendent and one entrance fee), and the limits are sort of artificial. It did start off as Sequoia NP and General Grant NP before the Kings Canyon area was incorporated into General Grant NP (and renamed).

I should also mention that the last time we visited Sequoia was after DH and I were married almost 7 years ago and the road to get to KC from the direction we were traveling was closed due to snow, which is why we'll have to return. For some reason, I didn't realize until today that Kings Canyon was a NP. I never knew the history. I always thought it was just a part of Sequoia NP. You learn something new everyday!

If you even look at the area of Kings Canyon NP where Redwood Mountain Grove is located, it feels kind of strange to call it that. It could have easily just been considered an extension of Sequoia NP. It's just this little thumb that hangs off of Sequoia NP.

Reminds me of the "unincorporated area" of the city I live in!

I should also mention that the last time we visited Sequoia was after DH and I were married almost 7 years ago and the road to get to KC from the direction we were traveling was closed due to snow, which is why we'll have to return. For some reason, I didn't realize until today that Kings Canyon was a NP. I never knew the history. I always thought it was just a part of Sequoia NP. You learn something new everyday!

Sequoia NP was the 2nd national park, and General Grant NP was the 3rd. Yosemite was the 4th.

Heck - there was a time when the Grant Grove section of Kings Canyon NP was just this little square of land separated from all other NPS land in the area. The section with Redwood Mountain Grove was annexed from Forest Service land in the 90s. However, there is a lot of cooperation between NPS and the Forest Service in the area. I've been to visitor centers that were jointly staffed by employees of NPS, FS, and the Sequoia Natural History Association.

Sequoia NP was the 2nd national park, and General Grant NP was the 3rd. Yosemite was the 4th.

Heck - there was a time when the Grant Grove section of Kings Canyon NP was just this little square of land separated from all other NPS land in the area. The section with Redwood Mountain Grove was annexed from Forest Service land in the 90s. However, there is a lot of cooperation between NPS and the Forest Service in the area. I've been to visitor centers that were jointly staffed by employees of NPS, FS, and the Sequoia Natural History Association.

I'm learning a lot today. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter