Seven Dwarves So Close...

Well, in my estimation the Matterhorn is pretty slow and easy going. I've only ridden it a couple of times, but I don't consider it a high-powered coaster. Someone earlier was comparing it to the Mummy at Uni...that is the kind of thing I would consider inappropriate for FL.

I agree, this looks close to Matterhorn level to me, but I haven't ridden the Matterhorn in a little while. (1980, I think) :)

Spaceship Earth climbs way higher than that. It doesn't make it a more thrilling ride than the Mine Train.

Come on, man. Have you ridden Matterhorn? You get some great views of DL from a great perspective, too. Matterhorn is the Mummy compared to SPE. Matterhorn lasts 2:07 with an 80 foot height, BTW.

Come on, man. Have you ridden Matterhorn? You get some great views of DL from a great perspective, too. Matterhorn is the Mummy compared to SPE. Matterhorn lasts 2:07 with an 80 foot height, BTW.

I never said Spaceship Earth is a thrill ride. That was the point. Throwing out 1 stat about the Matterhorn climbing 80 feet doesn't make it more of a thrill ride than the Mine Train just because the Mine Train doesn't "climb 80 feet". Of course, if you add the lift hills together it might actually climb close to 80 feet in total.

Yeah, but it's kinda slow and it doesn't DROP you 80 feet. Mummy is very fast and has that thrill factor some people are looking for, but that would be a bad fit for FL.

Understood, Brian. I actually only used that line because you said someone used it earlier in some post. So in other words...I think I just used them in same sentence...;)

And to UCF, I see you replied under me...have you ridden Matterhorn or not?

The fact that it climbs 80 feet, has 2,134 feet of track, only goes 25 mph, has no drop more than 10 feet (it's 30) and it only takes 2:07 to do it mean anything to you?

I never said Spaceship Earth is a thrill ride. That was the point. Throwing out 1 stat about the Matterhorn climbing 80 feet doesn't make it more of a thrill ride than the Mine Train just because the Mine Train doesn't "climb 80 feet". Of course, if you add the lift hills together it might actually climb close to 80 feet in total.

No, what makes Matterhorn a thrill ride is it's never ending series of sharp turns, fast drops, and glimpses of a monster in the mountain.

The dwarf coaster is a slow meander around a small hill.

-jason

The fact that it climbs 80 feet, has 2,134 feet of track, only goes 25 mph, has no drop more than 10 feet (it's 30) and it only takes 2:07 to do it mean anything to you?

Sure... if accurate those numbers tell me the average speed of the Matterhorn is a blistering 11.5 MPH :)

Seriously, though, until someone actually rides the Mine Train it is impossible to say which is more fun in real life. The mine train will certainly be smoother, with a similar sized drop and what appears to be a similar top speed. Adding in the parts that were cut from the video may also make the ride close to the same overall ride time. From everything known so far, they appear to be comparable in thrills.

The dwarf coaster is a slow meander around a small hill.

-jason

Perfect! Love the video. This will be truly awesome for the Fantasyland target audience of young kids. Why ppl are comparing this to a 10-story thrill coaster is beyond me. Not intended to be that, it's not that, if you're hoping it'll be like a Six Flags coaster you're in for a let down!

Others have compared it to the Matterhorn... I think that's fair, tho this is shorter so not quite as scary for the little ones.

My DD5 and DS7 will ride this and ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!

Perfect! Love the video. This will be truly awesome for the Fantasyland target audience of young kids. Why ppl are comparing this to a 10-story thrill coaster is beyond me. Not intended to be that, it's not that, if you're hoping it'll be like a Six Flags coaster you're in for a let down! Others have compared it to the Matterhorn... I think that's fair, tho this is shorter so not quite as scary for the little ones. My DD5 and DS7 will ride this and ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!

Will they love waiting 2 hours for it? Or only getting to ride it and 2 other things all day without long lines? Is that their touring style?

-Jason

Sure... if accurate those numbers tell me the average speed of the Matterhorn is a blistering 11.5 MPH :)

Seriously, though, until someone actually rides the Mine Train it is impossible to say which is more fun in real life. The mine train will certainly be smoother, with a similar sized drop and what appears to be a similar top speed. Adding in the parts that were cut from the video may also make the ride close to the same overall ride time. From everything known so far, they appear to be comparable in thrills.

So I am just going to assume that you have never ridden Matterhorn. :)

Figure out how long it takes to go through the dark ride portion of this ride based on this....note the time that are lift hills.

mtdark_zpsd1d42025.jpg

So I am just going to assume that you have never ridden Matterhorn. :)

Its nothing but a 20 foot tall ride, slowly curving ride around a small hill isn't it? I mean c'mon, Harold isn't a brand new kind of animatronic, he doesn't even move. Lazy yeti.

-Jason

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter