Seven Dwarfs Mine Train taking forever!!! WHEN will it open?

When it's done.

Don't make me stop this car... ;)

I know, right? People whine Disney doesn't do anything. And when they do something (something major) they whine that it takes too long.

None of us knows why it is taking the time it is. Could be supply issues, could be slowed down on purpose for some reason. None of us knows! Just relax. It will open when it opens, and worrying about it won't do any good. A watched pot never boils, and all that.

I agree with the OP. This ride is taking far too long to complete. In my opinion its bordering on ridiculous. Especially when you take into account how quickly Universal has turned out some amazing attractions in the past few years.
That's not necessarily a fair comparison though. Universal has always used a different tactic than Disney when announcing / opening rides. They start something -- like Transformers, say -- and work on it for several months without officially announcing anything. Information leaks, but there's no actual announcement of what's being worked on or when it will open. And then, maybe four months prior to opening, Universal announces that they're building a new Transformers ride and it will open a few months later. So everyone thinks, "Wow -- they cranked that thing out!", when in reality it took them a normal, longer amount of time to build the attraction.

I've always thought that was a brilliant strategy! People get to spend months speculating on what they're building and building up excitement, and once it's finally announced, the timeline between announcement and opening is really short.

Disney does the opposite, really. They announce new stuff sometimes before they've even broken ground. :: cough, cough -- Avatar -- cough, cough :: And then they start work. So people wait, as plans change and things are added and subtracted and moved around, and by the time it opens it seems like longer than it was.

Something else to note re: Universal -- the stuff they're building right now are either pretty simple overlays put onto standard amusement park rides (Springfield) or copies of rides that already exist in one or more parks around the world (Transformers). Mine Train is an original in every sense, from ride mechanism to theming. It started well after the rest of Fantasyland started and it's a brand new type of rocking coaster. That's going to stretch the timeline.

:earsboy:

That's not necessarily a fair comparison though. Universal has always used a different tactic than Disney when announcing / opening rides. They start something -- like Transformers, say -- and work on it for several months without officially announcing anything. Information leaks, but there's no actual announcement of what's being worked on or when it will open. And then, maybe four months prior to opening, Universal announces that they're building a new Transformers ride and it will open a few months later. So everyone thinks, "Wow -- they cranked that thing out!", when in reality it took them a normal, longer amount of time to build the attraction.

I've always thought that was a brilliant strategy! People get to spend months speculating on what they're building and building up excitement, and once it's finally announced, the timeline between announcement and opening is really short.

Disney does the opposite, really. They announce new stuff sometimes before they've even broken ground. :: cough, cough -- Avatar -- cough, cough :: And then they start work. So people wait, as plans change and things are added and subtracted and moved around, and by the time it opens it seems like longer than it was.

Something else to note re: Universal -- the stuff they're building right now are either pretty simple overlays put onto standard amusement park rides (Springfield) or copies of rides that already exist in one or more parks around the world (Transformers). Mine Train is an original in every sense, from ride mechanism to theming. It started well after the rest of Fantasyland started and it's a brand new type of rocking coaster. That's going to stretch the timeline.

These points are excellent and missed by most all the time.

I know, right? People whine Disney doesn't do anything. And when they do something (something major) they whine that it takes too long.

None of us knows why it is taking the time it is. Could be supply issues, could be slowed down on purpose for some reason. None of us knows! Just relax. It will open when it opens, and worrying about it won't do any good. A watched pot never boils, and all that.

I think "something major" is a bit of an overstatement. ;) It will be over two years by the time this is complete. They built AK in 3 years.

As long as it doesn't turn into a Test Trac fiasco, I will be happy to patiently wait. :thumbsup2

I think "something major" is a bit of an overstatement. ;) It will be over two years by the time this is complete. They built AK in 3 years.

I mean the whole project, not just the one ride. The leveled, moved, and built a whole lot of stuff!!! And it usually takes longer to move and redo that it does to build something from scratch.

It will not save them money to go slower but it may well help with the cash flow. Many projects are undertaken slowly for financial reasons and it is about capital expenditure phasing not saving expenditure.

Disney does not operate paycheck to paycheck. It makes financial sense for companies that are strapped for cash. Disney, however, is not.

I don't know why the time line is long, though I do imagine it's because it's a completely new style of coaster that no one has ever done before.

I can say though, that it's not taking any longer than they've ever told us. When they first announced it, they said 'Late 2013' and then it got pushed to 'Early 2014' which I believe is where it still sits today.

Expecting them to have moved faster than what their initial announcement stated is only setting yourself up for disappointment.

Well not quite true. Transformers is another ride that exists elsewhere and Springfield is an overlay but the entire Diagon Alley will go from the closure of an already existing ride and area (Jaws/Amityville) to a new land with two brand new rides with new technology, a restaurant, several attractions all with very detailed theming in 2 1/2 years.

I don't know why the time line is long, though I do imagine it's because it's a completely new style of coaster that no one has ever done before.

I can say though, that it's not taking any longer than they've ever told us. When they first announced it, they said 'Late 2013' and then it got pushed to 'Early 2014' which I believe is where it still sits today.

Expecting them to have moved faster than what their initial announcement stated is only setting yourself up for disappointment.

Of course I can't speak for everyone here, but I don't think anyone is arguing that Disney went over any opening dates. The way I feel, and I am guessing others feel the same, is regardless of when Disney said it would be complete, and whether or not they are still on track, the entire project has taken a very long time. And that is just my opinion. It's not that I expect them to move any faster than the time line they set, but I simply think their slow pace at doing just about everything is sort of ridiculous. In no way have I set myself up for disappointment, I just think they move too darn slow! That's all!

Of course I can't speak for everyone here, but I don't think anyone is arguing that Disney went over any opening dates. The way I feel, and I am guessing others feel the same, is regardless of when Disney said it would be complete, and whether or not they are still on track, the entire project has taken a very long time. And that is just my opinion. It's not that I expect them to move any faster than the time line they set, but I simply think their slow pace at doing just about everything is sort of ridiculous. In no way have I set myself up for disappointment, I just think they move too darn slow! That's all!

I agree with this. :thumbsup2

We were there in may and they seemed to be working on the facade and rock work on the side closest to the little mermaid. I would think early 2014.

I agree with the OP. This ride is taking far too long to complete. In my opinion its bordering on ridiculous. Especially when you take into account how quickly Universal has turned out some amazing attractions in the past few years.

Yep and the Wizarding World expansion will probably open before this does (Hogwarts Express and Gringott's Bank ride). Those are two I cannot wait to open!

Agree completely!!

In all fairness, I think Disney has what two or three people working on this project. Anyone remember the one person working on the Princess Fairytale Hall video from last month?

Anyway, I think the entire Shanghai Disneyland will have been built and celebrating its first anniversary before Fantasyland is complete.

It just doesn't seem like Disney is in any hurry to complete this project.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter