Settled in at Turtle Pond

dianeschlicht

<font color=blue>DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Hon
In ten years of membership and 25+ stays at OKW, we are enjoying our first stay on the Turtle Pond area. We are in a studio on the first floor of building 40, so we have no real view, but the vegetation around our balcony is nice, and since we are in a studio, I never expect much for a view in those. I haven't yet used the TP pool or hot tub yet, but we are going to take a tour around this area as soon as we have showered. I'm meeting some internet friends for breakfast at Olivia's this morning before I head out and then meet up with DIS/DVC meet folks at Beaches and Creams this afternoon.

They have one section of Turtle Pond buildings closed off for refurb, so it seems empty in this part of the resort. Our room is very clean and in good shape. There was no bulb in the light over the table when we arrived, but a call to maintenance had someone here and replacing it in less than 10 minutes. It seems someone broke the bulb off (who knows if it was a guest or housekeeping), and he needed to use a pliers to get the old lightbulb base out of the socket. Bell services forgot to bring my oxygen machine up, so I did have to call for that after we got back last night, but that too then came in less than 10 minutes. Some of you might find that service to be sub standard, but I thought it was wonderful to get it so quickly. The only thing that was sub standard was that housekeeping didn't notify maintenance in the first place about the lightbulb.

The smoke in the air was bad when we arrived, but it wasn't really a huge issue for my asthma. THe wind came up later in the day, and that helped a lot. I did feel the need to drink a lot because my mouth and throat got dry, but it wasn't enough to cause asthma issues, so I was glad about that. Hopefully it will be even better today.

Hey Diane

Our only time at OKW, we stayed in the Turtle Pond area. We liked it there. We were in a studio with a good view of the golf course.

Hope yall have a wonderful time and stay safe from the smoke.

Thanks, We are in building 40, so we are right behind the circle.

Hey Diane, Glad you're settled in. I am assuming the smoke is from the wild fires in N.Florida? Sounds pretty bad down there. Is tropical storm Andrea effecting the area? Hope all clears out and your week is perfect.

Wow Diane ! You had just mentioned in a thread before you left that you've never stayed in the TP area. What a coincidense is that ?! It's like the TP gods heard you ! :rotfl:

Have a wonderful stay and lots of fun meeting up with everyone ! Take lots of pics and post more updates so I can live vicariously through your adventures. I woke up to 45 degrees here in PA. Actually had to put the heat on !

I hope you enjoy the Turtle Pond area, it's our favorite place!!! Have a good trip!!

Glad to hear that you're doing well; and glad that the air quality is okay for you (IIRC, it could've been a big issue). :thumbsup2
Enjoy your stay and enjoy your "new" neighborhood! :goodvibes

Ah, Day ONE of being "home!" Always the best, IMO. The whole trip is stretched out in front of you...you are settled in at home...perfect!

Wow Diane ! You had just mentioned in a thread before you left that you've never stayed in the TP area. What a coincidense is that ?! It's like the TP gods heard you ! :rotfl:
I was thinking that same thing! Hope you're enjoying your first Turtle Pond stay. I see that building is close to the bus turn around. Do you get any bus noise?

Hi, Diane,
It was 90° yesterday and today in Twin Cities but Mickey's not here :sad1:
Have a wonderful time at a wonderful resort!

They have one section of Turtle Pond buildings closed off for refurb, so it seems empty in this part of the resort.

Is building 41 closed for rehab? That was a smoking building.

We have stayed at Turtle Pond a few times, including our first ever trip to OKW. Enjoy! (We'll be there ourselves in less than 2 months :woohoo: ).

We stayed in that area of OKW two years ago and loved it! :thumbsup2 I hope the smoke gets cleared out for good! Have a great time! :goodvibes

Thanks for the report, Diane.

Glad to hear that you're able to explore a "new" area at OKW! ;)

Diane,

I just got back from Turtle Pond area, and loved it. Pool was warmer than the slide (HH) pool, but the minus was the Turtle shack (Food) was never open.....

Anyone know why it is closed, (Turtle shack).

GOldi

Glad to hear some good points about Turtle Pond Area....We always think that we will need to have some options if there is no room for us at Southpoint one of these trips !!! funny how you get used to staying somewhere and hesitate to try other areas even though you know you will be back again soon !!

Have a great vacation. Hopefully there will be some relief from the fires soon.

Is building 41 closed for rehab? That was a smoking building.

We have stayed at Turtle Pond a few times, including our first ever trip to OKW. Enjoy! (We'll be there ourselves in less than 2 months :woohoo: ).

There are a bunch of buildings closed just beyond the TP bus stop. They are painting, looks like major interior rehab, and have even redone the landscaping in that area. No one is staying there yet, but I think they are buildings in the upper 30's. Nothing going on in 41 yet, but I suspect that wont happen until after June 1st, because they have to provide a place until then. The check in person did say the charge for breaking the new rule after June 1 will bed $500. I questioned that, but he seemed quite certain about that.

I was a bit disappointed that the TP hot tub was obviously a spot for lots of playing children right now. I went to get in tonight, and came back to the room bone dry. There was a ton of sand in the bottom of the hot tub, and quite a lot of water had been splashed out of it, so that it was hardly above the jets.

Diane,

I just got back from Turtle Pond area, and loved it. Pool was warmer than the slide (HH) pool, but the minus was the Turtle shack (Food) was never open.....

Anyone know why it is closed, (Turtle shack).

GOldi

It seemed to be open earlier today, but not tonight.

Glad to hear some good points about Turtle Pond Area....We always think that we will need to have some options if there is no room for us at Southpoint one of these trips !!! funny how you get used to staying somewhere and hesitate to try other areas even though you know you will be back again soon !!

Have a great vacation. Hopefully there will be some relief from the fires soon.

I'm not going to say TP is my favorite place, but that's mostly because of where it is in the bus stop order. I have honestly only had one stay in one building that was less than I expected, and that's after a LOT of OKW stays!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter