Setting up DCL App for kids and communication onboard?

tee11

DIS Veteran
To make communication easy on board we are giving our kids (ages 8 to 12) old iPhones.
I tried to set up the DCL app to be used on board later, however, it asked me to set up a Disney account. When I did so, it said "not able to register" - I assume due to age. I can't click on "still at home" anymore (it just goes to the "you were declined screen"). Should I delete and re-install the app? How can I get it to work?? There doesn't seem to be a way to set the app up for kids, yet kids are kind of expected to use the app on board to message and find their way around?

We hope iMessage will work on board as it did two years ago - can anyone with more recent experience confirm?

You can probably just log in with your Disney account. On on ship, everyone on the reservation should get a chat id in the app, then you can use it to message each other. Most of the functionality of the app only works on board. It’s sort of annoying.

You can probably just log in with your Disney account. On on ship, everyone on the reservation should get a chat id in the app, then you can use it to message each other. Most of the functionality of the app only works on board. It’s sort of annoying.
I did log in for everyone with my Disney account in the past, but the App has greatly increased in capabilities.
Initially it was only replacing the paper navigators and offering a simple chat.
Now your App does everything; online check in, credit cards, booking your placeholder, passport info is linked, etc.
Just wish there was a "kids log in" for the app that is NOT linked to our reservations and everything else?

You can (and should) download the Disney Cruise app to all phones that will be using it before the cruise but you do not need to set up accounts for your kids in advance. The app will change completely once you are on the DCL WiFi network in the terminal or onboard. When you access the “onboard” Navigator, you will be able to register your kids based on their name, birthdate, and stateroom number without needing a Disney account. You may need to provide one-time approval to allow them to text.

The onboard app will show activities and possibly allow registration for free activities (such as character meets that require registration) but will not allow children to, for example, book a placeholder (because it knows they are children).

You can (and should) download the Disney Cruise app to all phones that will be using it before the cruise but you do not need to set up accounts for your kids in advance. The app will change completely once you are on the DCL WiFi network in the terminal or onboard. When you access the “onboard” Navigator, you will be able to register your kids based on their name, birthdate, and stateroom number without needing a Disney account. You may need to provide one-time approval to allow them to text.

The onboard app will show activities and possibly allow registration for free activities (such as character meets that require registration) but will not allow children to, for example, book a placeholder (because it knows they are children).
THANK YOU!! This is exactly what I was wondering about and hoping for, but I wasn’t positive it would work without setting it up ahead of time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter