• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Service Unavailable Error

Have you seen it recur after clearing the host cache?
Yes, I've still had the issue recur after clearing the host cache, unfortunately. I switched my router to use the Google DNS servers for my network rather than the ones from my ISP, which I'm hoping further mitigates it.

How is this different than going into settings and clearing cache?
Clearing the browser cache typically only clears cached images, scripts, cookies, local settings, and other content. DNS cache, which stores the mapping between a domain name (e.g. disboards.com) and its IP address (108.61.75.210), is typically a different cache that has to be cleared separately.

You should only need to clear your DNS cache, not the browser cache, to resolve this issue (at least temporarily). Since clearing your DNS cache using my suggestion above does not clear cookies, it will not impact your active logins.

Also, for the webmasters, have you considered having the old IP address (108.171.164.208) forward all traffic on port 80 to the new IP address (108.61.75.210) until all DNS changes have finished propagating? It seems that could avoid these issues in the interim without requiring work for the forum clients.

I'm not allowed to post the link, but if you search for "Changing Servers - Redirect to new IP = No Downtime?" on StackExchange, you'll find some suggestions.

Last edited:
On DonMacGregor's post he clearly shows Spectrum is having an issue.
> disboards.com

Server: 2603-8000-0303-0015-ea9f-80ff-fe6f-0b41.res6.spectrum.com

Address: 2603:8000:303:15:ea9f:80ff:fe6f:b41
Non-authoritative answer:

Name: disboards.com

Address: 108.171.164.208

When he switches to Google DNS it goes away
> disboards.com

Server: dns.google

Address: 8.8.8.8

Non-authoritative answer:

Name: disboards.com

Address: 108.61.75.210

I understand Spectrum is a major provider however in this case they have a problem, it's indisputable.
It's possible a server further up the chain is also having an issue and that's why some other ISP's seem to be having an issue. There is no way Spectrum should be handing out bad IP addresses after more than 24 hours, let alone days.

I would not recommend clearing cookies etc. It won't help and it's pretty frustrating. Clearing the chrome or computer DNS cache can help as it forces your computer to go out and get a new address.

I can say for a 100% fact it has nothing to do with our new host and it's not fair to blame them.

I am currently on the road. If resetting the DNS didn't work, I can look at redirecting the old IP address. It shouldn't be necessary but somebody's messed up server is making life difficult.

Just another datapoint... I was on cellular (AT&T) and just had it happen again. I downloaded an nslookup app so I could give you the details...

As soon as I came home and got on wifi, of course it worked. Then I switched back to cellular, and it still works. For "fun", I tried the nslookup app again a few times and sometimes it is returning the wrong address with a TTL of over 7000 seconds. This means the IP address must be a VIP to an array of DNS servers and one of them has someone upstream feeding them a bad address and the old TTL.

This is very odd..

================================================================================
NSLookup Results of www.disboards.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Device Name : iPhone
Device Version : 15.5
Date : Sunday, July 10, 2022
Time : 4:16:06 PM Central Daylight Time

---[ REQUEST ]----------------------------------------------------------------
Query : www.disboards.com
Server Address : Auto
Force Authorative : No
Query Type : any
Query Class : in
Timeout : 10.0s

---[ RESPONSE ]---------------------------------------------------------------
Server : 172.26.38.2
Is Authorative : No
Response Time : 362 msec

================================================================================

---[ ANSWER SECTION ]---------------------------------------------------------
www.disboards.com 6917 IN A 108.171.164.208

---[ AUTHORITY_SECTION ]------------------------------------------------------

---[ ADDITIONAL_SECTION ]-----------------------------------------------------

Results provided by NSLookup 1.6.1 for iOS
NSLookup can be found at https://itunes.bejbej.ca/nslookup

Just another datapoint... I was on cellular (AT&T) and just had it happen again. I downloaded an nslookup app so I could give you the details...

As soon as I came home and got on wifi, of course it worked. Then I switched back to cellular, and it still works. For "fun", I tried the nslookup app again a few times and sometimes it is returning the wrong address with a TTL of over 7000 seconds. This means the IP address must be a VIP to an array of DNS servers and one of them has someone upstream feeding them a bad address and the old TTL.

This is very odd..
7000 seconds is 2 hours which is the original TTL. I moved it to 1 hour hoping sending out the update would knock loose whatever server is stuck. You see the problem though and odd is right

I also just used my phone as a hotspot so I could test from my computer. Running nslookup and set to the same (QT&T) server above, about half the time, I get the old address with a TTL under 2 hours and the other half I get the new address with a TTL under one hour.

7000 seconds is 2 hours which is the original TTL. I moved it to 1 hour hoping sending out the update would knock loose whatever server is stuck. You see the problem though and odd is right
I am not sure when you did the move, but I wonder if this will resolve itself after the expiration time (which I think is 7 days?).

I also just used my phone as a hotspot so I could test from my computer. Running nslookup and set to the same (QT&T) server above, about half the time, I get the old address with a TTL under 2 hours and the other half I get the new address with a TTL under one hour.
That is what I would expect. the original TTL for the new address was 2 hours but I moved it to 1 hour in the hopes it would force an update.

I was just in a plane using plane wifi. The site worked for the first half of the flight and then suddenly stopped working (gave the Service Unavailable error) halfway through the flight.

When I landed I switched to AT&T mobile data and the site still didn’t work.

Now a couple hours later I’m still using AT&T data but the site is working again.

The problem doesn’t seem tied to one service in particular since it comes and goes regardless.

Trust me nobody is more frustrated than I am. Be fabulous if the techs at Spectrum or whoever upstream hosed this could get their act together
I use Cox Communications for internet, but is is also happening on the AT&T cellular network.

I am definitely seeing it less and less. I tried to get the wrong ip from AT&T this morning and couldn’t, even using the same DNS server VIP.

I saw this conversation yesterday but it hadn’t affected me.

Today my iPad Air thru Optimum is getting ‘http1.1 Service Unavailable’ message.

So tried my iPhone thru Verizon connection and that’s working fine.

Up to now all my devices and providers were ok.

Eta- Both thru Safari

Last edited:
Having the same issue: Http/1.1 Service Unavailable

On my home Verizon network. On my Ipad, and then with my work computer, VPN from my home network to a federal govt network

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter