Service Dog at AKL?

Chimaera

Mouseketeer
Has anyone stayed at AKL with a service dog (not an ESA) in a savanna view room? My wife and I have stayed at Jambo House a few times in savanna views and loved it, but our next trip (hopefully in August 2020) will be our first travelling with her service dog. I know the ADA allows for service dogs to be in any normal room but I wasn't sure how that works with the balcony/savanna. Obviously the service dog will be trained to not react to the animals in any way, and we wouldn't allow him on the balcony but I wasn't sure if Disney had any specific policies in place for service dogs and AKL.

You should be fine since the ADA dose not allow discrimination for where you can stay. I have stayed there before and the talkings are quite high ( not saying a dog could not jump over) just most would have a hard time If you really wanted to make sure you could contact Disney disability service and let them know you have a service dog and so if there is anything you should know since you have a savana view also there are no bottom floor rooms and if I remember right they had the animal away from were the buildings are so even if he did jump he would not be where the animals are. ( some places there are no visible barriers but are some for the animals that you really do not see unless your looking for them.

enjoy your trip I had a great time there great place to stay so relaxing and fun

You should be fine since the ADA dose not allow discrimination for where you can stay. I have stayed there before and the talkings are quite high ( not saying a dog could not jump over) just most would have a hard time If you really wanted to make sure you could contact Disney disability service and let them know you have a service dog and so if there is anything you should know since you have a savana view also there are no bottom floor rooms and if I remember right they had the animal away from were the buildings are so even if he did jump he would not be where the animals are. ( some places there are no visible barriers but are some for the animals that you really do not see unless your looking for them.

enjoy your trip I had a great time there great place to stay so relaxing and fun

It shouldn't be a problem, but I agree checking with Disney's disability services would probably be helpful for info on things like where to take the service dog to relieve themselves. There are no ground floor savanna view rooms, and even if something happened, and something/one went over a balcony railing, there is a gap between the hotel and the animal spaces. It's not overly large, but it is present.

They can not deny you a room. They might limit you to specific categories however.

We have stayed there twice with our friend who has a service dog and both times were in a Savannah view. When we spoke with them we learned that they cannot limit you to certain categories, in other words if someone without a service animal could book the room, they had to allow you to book it. Of course if a category is sold out for everyone else, having a service animal will not get you into a room in that category.

Unless you specifically ask to be placed somewhere else, they will give you a room as close as possible to the elevators to make it easier to take the service animal out for relief. They do request that you not allow the service animal out onto the balcony if avoidable and if you must do so, the service animal must remain on a leash that is being held while on the balcony (i.e. same as when in the parks). The second time they did offer to setup some fake grass on the balcony, which our friend refused for various reasons. I can honestly say I don't know if that part is normal policy or not, but just an FYI that it might be an option.

They also request the service animal not linger near the Flamingos or other sensitive animals. The other sensitive animals may vary, such as the Okapi had a baby when we were there, so they asked that the service animal not linger there. Additionally if either your service dog is getting stressed by the animals or the animals are being stressed by the service dog they ask that you remove the service animal from the situation immediately. This is true both at AKL and in AK as well. If you are in your room and have your balcony door open (or even just the curtain) and either the animals or your service dog is getting stressed, they ask that you close the door and curtain immediately.

For our friend's service dog, none of this was ever an issue, aside from our friend loving Flamingos, so we had to come up with a viable way to allow her to see them without her service dog.

Also, just like with any of the other resorts, the service dog cannot be left alone in the room at any time.

Overall you will most likely find it no different than staying at another resort with a service dog, aside from having the amazing views of course, so enjoy, but as others have said do let them know you have a service dog when you book.

Oh, one more thing, you should be able to do online check in, but you might not get a text with your room number, as you may still have to visit the front desk so they can tell you where the sensitive areas are at the time of your stay for the comfort of your service animal as well as the health and safety of the animals.

Thanks for the replies - the artificial grass this is how I understand they handle service dog relief on DCL so I wouldn't be surprised if they just extended that to hotel rooms with balconies too. Very useful information and it's very nice to hear from someone who has personal experience of the situation. Much appreciated.

No problem, our friend didn't know either the first time we went with a Savannah view room, so nice to be able to pass on information.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter