September or October?

DianaMB333

DIS Veteran
DVC Platinum
Hi! I am trying to define the best week to go between Sept & Oct.. i am in the fence between the lower rates required in Sept vs the higher chances of rain/hurricane vs a nice weather where kids can still enjoy swimming.. any thoughts please?

Pools are usable for both. Sep typically has high temperatures and high humidity daily. You expect days to be hot but some are shocked by how hot and humid the evenings remain (as put once, in Sep you can sweat standing still outside at midnight). Oct remains hot, although a decrease somewhat as the month progresses, but beginning in early Oct, that nightly humidity usually decreases and evenings become more pleasant. The hurricane risk is higher in Sep, although still some risk in Oct. Sep often gets a lot more rain than Oct, with a higher risk of having a night time activity, such as Fantastic, cancelled as a result. Bottom line, for better weather choose Oct but Sep is usually still doable.

As to park crowds. October tends to be fairly large although not stifling, with some lengthy stand-by lines (an hour or more for premier rides). Very end of Sep approaches the Oct size. But second and third week of Sep are among the best crowd times of the year -- e.g., my last Sep trip was third week of Sep 2018 with premier rides (other than Avatar Flight of Passage) having stand-by lines mostly in the 30 minute or less range (Flight of Passage exceeded an hour) and most others 15 minutes or less. Sep can be somewhat worse for getting dining reservations if Disney has the free dining packages for hotel guests. And when there is free dining, I have noticed that what is offered, such as for the buffets, is not as good as other times.

We travel in September most years and definitely prefer it to October. We plan some extra time at the hotel to cool off from the heat but will go in September over October any day with the crowds. As far as hurricanes go, we have never had a one interfere with a trip, but plenty of fireworks shows have been canceled to rain. On the other hand the rain is a good way to cool off when its to hot and it doesn’t usually last more than a couple hours tops. So it is a personal preference, but if you can’t tell, we prefer September.

The PPs gave you good info on the debate. We tend to pick Sept, because we personally value lower crowds over (anything) lower temps. Per Google avg is 89/74 in sept vs 85/68. It’s still hot in Oct. it’s not like it’s suddenly a stark difference. Avg rainfall starts in early sept at 5.6in and decreases with the end of mo. averaging 4.2. Oct is drier. When it’s that hot, in sept, we usually don’t mind a shower in the afternoon, which can also clear some people out for a bit.

towards the end of Sept, while there’s slightly cooler temp., and drier conditions, the wknds pick up. As you’d expect, Halloween parties are more popular (notice prices are cheaper in Aug and early Sept). Food and wine is in full swing with locals flooding fri/sat’s.

when going in oct, we try to avoid Columbus Day wknd... it is surprisingly busy. We once went to MK on a Sat and almost immediately left because we couldn’t even walk through Adventureland.

we are going this Labor Day wknd when prices for hotels are close to the bottom. POP is $139/ night plus tax, swan/dolphin is $180s but resort fees. Airfare will be cheaper too. I don’t really mind the heat as much as most people. And we like celebrating our anniversary during this time at WDW. We’re going to do a Halloween party on a long wknd trip, using discounted Sams club 4 - one park per day passes that are about $20-25 cheaper than undercover tourist.

Last edited:
I’ve been in both the past 2 years and for crowds September was much better. Heat doesn’t bother me as I live in Alabama. It’s still in the 80s in October so fairly warm.

We always go in September as the crowds are low. Take it from a born and raised FL native, it's always hot and humid and sometimes it tends to rain in the afternoon but we've never had any issues with Hurricanes during our trips. Last September trip we had amazing weather and enjoyed many days pool side. If you want cooler weather you need to come during FL's "winter" months but for low crowds and lower ticket prices, Sept is the way to go. October is usually a crowded time and the weather hasnt made any real significant changes.

If you need any help planning your park days, www.touringplans.com is wonderful tool to have. They have a crowd calendar, room view finders and info on resorts, dining and more.

OP you are fast approaching the 7 month window for September & October, both popular times. I scramble every year to book the value studios at BWV & AKV. now is the time to decide

we have moved back our fall trip one week from the Columbus Day weekend,just became too crowded for our tastes.

If we weren’t focused in. Split trip to enjoy HHN, would probably book mid September However, imo, it’s takes the performers a few weeks to settle into their roles Same as mnsshp. We’ve done first night in the past mid August and it’s been a bit of a mess. Not stopping us from trying to catch that same opening day on trip with our GD this year again tho lol

I have been unlucky in the last 2 times I have gone in September, had to get out of dodge to avoid Hurricanes. Love October, still very warm weather and Hurricane season is pretty much over.

I have been unlucky in the last 2 times I have gone in September, had to get out of dodge to avoid Hurricanes. Love October, still very warm weather and Hurricane season is pretty much over.
We were literally locked down for two days at Universal’s RPH hotel for Matthew in ‘16. Tropical storms/depressions can wreck their share of havoc.

I swore off another September trip, it was so hot. Like July hot.

Remember, a large part of it depends upon where you live relative to Orlando. I regularly go to WDW in September because it's less hot than back home!

We have been the past two Octobers (around the 3rd week), and both times have been Hot. We were also there in September two years ago; it was Hot but a lot less crowded. Weather wise I really couldn't tell a difference. As for Hurricanes, I've been in October with a hurricane but luckily have never experienced one in Sept.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter