September 9-11GKTW DIS Family Reunion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am very excited about this event! It's like a mini D23 Expo or Destination D event. When I first heard about it, I booked at Bay Lake Tower. I am doubly-happy about that after hearing the event will be at the Contemporary Resort. Looking forward to seeing friends and CWW listeners!

I am very excited about this event! It's like a mini D23 Expo or Destination D event. When I first heard about it, I booked at Bay Lake Tower. I am doubly-happy about that after hearing the event will be at the Contemporary Resort. Looking forward to seeing friends and CWW listeners!
I agree, it sounded like a mini Destination D event to me.

We're going to take the plunge and buy tickets. I took PTO 3/20-3/28. I didn't know about the podcast recording on 3/28 as that isn't listed on the website. I may see if I can change my dates and come home on 3/29 instead.

The big fear, of course, is having no idea what the COVID situation will be in March. Will it be safe to travel by then? Spending $1,200 for event tickets and getting stuck with them would really suck. The site doesn't say anything about whether or not tickets are transferable. If we can't go, can we sell our spots to someone else? I'm sure there will be people willing to travel even if we aren't.

We're going to take the plunge and buy tickets. I took PTO 3/20-3/28. I didn't know about the podcast recording on 3/28 as that isn't listed on the website. I may see if I can change my dates and come home on 3/29 instead.

The big fear, of course, is having no idea what the COVID situation will be in March. Will it be safe to travel by then? Spending $1,200 for event tickets and getting stuck with them would really suck. The site doesn't say anything about whether or not tickets are transferable. If we can't go, can we sell our spots to someone else? I'm sure there will be people willing to travel even if we aren't.
Agreed - it’d be ideal if the tickets were either refundable or transferable.

I SOOOOOOO want to go, as I've never attended a DIS event, since the ones I've heard about have always been in the hotter months. I WISH the fear of flying, and Covid didn't have me so spooked......even if I didn't go to a park, and only ate outside, I'm STILL so anxious about this. And that makes me really sad. :(

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the hotel contract has a minimum and if it includes DVC use, ie, do tthey get credit towards the contract minimum (if any) for those booking at BLT or BCV?

Agreed - it’d be ideal if the tickets were either refundable or transferable.
Tickets for events such as this typically are neither because of restrictions from WDW. Of course, we are not in typical times. WDW has changed its cancellation policies and the major airlines have done away with change fees.... I never thought I would see either.

I SOOOOOOO want to go, as I've never attended a DIS event, since the ones I've heard about have always been in the hotter months. I WISH the of flying, and Covid didn't have me so spooked......even if I didn't go to a park, and only ate outside, I'm STILL so anxious about this. And that makes me really sad. :(

March sounds so far off.

That said, last March we were set to leave on a two week vacation and we postponed it until this last weekend thinking, surely by September the virus will be manageable. Needless to say, we didn't leave on vacation this last weekend and I"m sitting here mostly working instead. Don't cry for me, mind you, I'm very lucky to have work I can do from home. My point is just that the future is so unpredictable for all of us. You are not alone in feeling anxious about what might happen next March.

I so wanted to book a drive down to WDW for December using the Magic is _______ rates; I looked at the prices and found I just couldn't do it, emotionally.

I was reading the site a bit and haven’t listen to all the podcast yesterday so I don’t know all the details. I believe Dis events have always been non-transferable and non-refundable in the past.

Folks, be thoughtful. It’s a serious FOMO I know. It sounds amazing!!!!

I will be frank, this covid has been tough as heck. We have been thinking very seriously about a big trip possibly later this year and asking ourselves hard questions. We wonder if we should travel while precautions like no middle seats on planes are being taken and generous refund/change policies by airlines and hotels are in still in place allowing for fluid plans with rip cords.

A $400 non refundable ticket six months away across the country is a big decision at any juncture. Just be thoughtful, it sounds like ALOT of fun. But honestly I seriously already see this thread hitting page 47 in three months and some very broken hearted people coming to report they have had to pull out. We have two big unknowns, covid and the economy.

Lots of good wishes, I hope everyone finds ways to travel even in very small ways soon. Safe travels and good times to those who decide to go and much compassion to those who quietly decide they need to hold off.

Maybe in two months we will have a vaccine and this post will sound dated and completely crazy. I sure hope so!!!

I didn't know about the podcast recording on 3/28 as that isn't listed on the website. I may see if I can change my dates and come home on 3/29 instead.
Based on previous events it is typical they will do a live Podcast taping from CR that day however, it will likely be in the 11am-1pm start time frame (again based on previous events) so I am not sure you will need the extra day off if your flight is out later in the evening.

I’m going to get a ticket then work out the logistic of the trip flights/hotels and if I can go.

okay not the most sensible way of doing things but seeing how crazy everything is a the moment think its my best option.

also at the end of the day, if it works out I can’t go and lose the money on the tickets, as the cash is going to such a good cause I won’t be that upset

Under the FAQ's it says the tickets are not refundable unless the even is cancelled or postponed (understandable, given that your'e working with Disney, and contracts) https://gktw.org/disfam/faq.php

Also - the Galaxy's Edge Event must be sold out, since I clicked on tickets just to see some info, and it showed nothing available. Also understandable, I'm sure that would be VERY VERY popular, even if I would have little to no interest, and if I DID consider going, would not go into any parks.

ETA: Sorry if I mislead/led anybody - the PROVABILITY (not just POSSIBILITY) that I was doing something wrong when looking for info on tickets for this was HIGH. And I succeeded in exceeding my stupidity levels. :) As others have pointed out (thank you!!!!) there are no tickets available , because there ain't none on sale yet. (I thought the Star Wars tickets were on sale today, the rest starting tomorrow). :rolleyes:

With this lack of brain cells, probably better for me - and all - if I DO just stay home for this one. :o

Last edited:
Under the FAQ's it says the tickets are not refundable unless the even is cancelled for postponed (understandable, given that your'e working with Disney, and contacts) https://gktw.org/disfam/faq.php

Also - the Galaxy's Edge Event must be sold out, since I clicked on tickets just to see some info, and it showed nothing available. Also understandable, I'm sure that would be VERY VERY popular, even if I would have little to no interest, and if I DID consider going, would not go into any parks.
Tickets go on sale tomorrow at 10am eastern.

To get everyone on the same page, and to clarify a few things...

The Dis is not running this event, Give Kids The World is. Dreams is a sponsor of it and took care of (as in negotiated) the hotel contract and probably a whole lot more.. If you want a hotel room in the block of rooms that have been put aside for this event you can reserve them starting today. Go to https://gktw.org/disfam and click on Room Block on top. You'll need the group code and group name to reserve.

The three tickets for the event, Ticket, VIP & SWGE don't go on sale until Wednesday (tomorrow) morning which is why you don't see them yet.

March sounds so far off.
My point is just that the future is so unpredictable for all of us. You are not alone in feeling anxious about what might happen next March.
(Please see upthread for JCB's full post.)

It's been six months and for most of the country we're still in the first wave of this virus, and there's so much data still to come on the long term effects of acquiring (and re-acquiring or re-expressing) the virus. This event is in seven-ish months, and for me it seems extremely soon given the viral etiology and epidemiology. I recall the Boston biogen conference outbreak (one of the earliest outbreaks) linked back to only two people traveling from Europe.

Now, this isn't a fear-mongering post. I'm a trained scientist (in pathology lab research) and trained classical singer. I see the hope that science and art bring into the world. I see the need for connection and community, and I'm quite used to risk analysis. My post is simply about the realism that JCB eloquently states here... there is little certainty other than what data we have at any given moment.

We know there are ways to mitigate transmission. ie; Will any food/drink served be in containers to reduce the number of people touching or breathing on items? Will events that require no masks (like eating/drinking) include an outdoor space to increase the air flow between people? Since the contemporary is an indoor space, will the breakout rooms remain physically distant for avenues of egress? The FAQ mentions bathroom (and other spaces) cleaned only at end of day, could this be enhanced for commonly touched surfaces?

So I guess my post is a big "Me Too" for those concerned about the timing and cost, and a big "Me Too" for those planning to figure out a way to "make it work," as Tim Gunn says. At some point we have to make a personal choice to reintegrate into community. This event may or may not suffice to meet a personal risk threshold. I get it. I support you. I also encourage and hope that (in my perceived short time) between now and March, we proceed carefully- mindful how our actions can help or harm each other. Let's let our choices become positive-difference-makers in our community and in our world.

Last edited:
To get everyone on the same page, and to clarify a few things...

The Dis is not running this event, Give Kids The World is. Dreams is a sponsor of it and took care of (as in negotiated) the hotel contract and probably a whole lot more.. If you want a hotel room in the block of rooms that have been put aside for this event you can reserve them starting today. Go to https://gktw.org/disfam and click on Room Block on top. You'll need the group code and group name to reserve.

The three tickets for the event, Ticket, VIP & SWGE don't go on sale until Wednesday (tomorrow) morning which is why you don't see them yet.
Thank you @DanielleC and @Ross Kratter for trying to untangle me. See my edit to my (INCORRECT!) post, above. :)

Based on previous events it is typical they will do a live Podcast taping from CR that day however, it will likely be in the 11am-1pm start time frame (again based on previous events) so I am not sure you will need the extra day off if your flight is out later in the evening.
Nah, that wouldn't work for us for a variety of reasons. I'm going to add a day to my PTO so we can fly home Monday instead of Sunday.

Thought the same thing. The presenters are amazing! I‘m having a hard time imagining sitting at home wishing I was there. Can’t book a room yet (well, I could but I’m waiting for more points to become available in December). Have a feeling I’ll be buying some tickets tomorrow❤️

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter