• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

**September 2019**

I just called American to see what my options are for canceling and they say I will be charged a $200 change fee per ticket if I want to cancel and use the credit for a different trip. This seems unreasonable. They should waive the change fee for a hurricane. So annoyed.
They have always waived the fee for hurricanes in the past, just not this far out. It needs to be more certain that it’s going to hit Central Florida than it is now. Probably by Saturday they’ll announce something (if it’s still headed that way)

This might be the only trip I wish I had upgraded to deluxe - just so I would have interior hallways if we do get locked in for a hurricane. Oooof. I keep looking at my plans and thinking of trying to switch things around but for now am just leaving it as is and will have to play it by ear. Since we go yearly it will all be fine, I do feel for families planning their once in a lifetime trips this weekend.

I was overdue for a hurricane trip since we have gone many times during hurricane season.

Kids are in school and 3 year old isn't much of a conversationalist when it comes to obsessive hurricane planning. You guys might just bear the brunt of it in this thread :D

They have always waived the fee for hurricanes in the past, just not this far out. It needs to be more certain that it’s going to hit Central Florida than it is now. Probably by Saturday they’ll announce something (if it’s still headed that way)

Would it still be waived if I wanted to just rebook for another time entirely or only for the few days after? I would lose too many days if I flew in after it passed.

As someone who lives in a VERY hurricane prone state, I think my best advice right now is not to panic about your trips. Honestly, I'd still go right now as it stands but that's just me. The past two years have been very hard on my town economically due to hurricanes coming through, and even last year I was forced to EVACUATE. However, it's just because of the rain and not so much the wind. And really? Cat 2 is nothing really, unless it's a slow-moving rain dumper which is really the problem with the storms.

Would it still be waived if I wanted to just rebook for another time entirely or only for the few days after? I would lose too many days if I flew in after it passed.
I don’t know. I would imagine there will be some restrictions but I don’t imagine they will require immediate travel, but I don’t know for sure.

Ahhhh!! Flying out from MN on Sunday morning.
No travel waivers from airline yet.
Does Disney do waivers if there is a hurricane, I am assuming so?
Need advice, who do I call first to change reservations? Should I assume I would get a room at Disney? Flights more difficult to get?
Waiting is stressful....😯😟

See if you can fly in a day early IMO.

As someone who lives in a VERY hurricane prone state, I think my best advice right now is not to panic about your trips. Honestly, I'd still go right now as it stands but that's just me. The past two years have been very hard on my town economically due to hurricanes coming through, and even last year I was forced to EVACUATE. However, it's just because of the rain and not so much the wind. And really? Cat 2 is nothing really, unless it's a slow-moving rain dumper which is really the problem with the storms.
Thanks for the positive thoughts!
I live in MN where weather is always an issue...lol.
Even if I flew in a day early and there was a lot of rain I still would lose time in the parks etc. so I am already looking at plan b. I have some flexibility so I am lucky. I recently saw on the Orlando TV weather at least a Cat 2 which IMHO is a major storm. Isn't a Cat 2 at least a 75 mph sustained winds? :o:scared:

I just called American to see what my options are for canceling and they say I will be charged a $200 change fee per ticket if I want to cancel and use the credit for a different trip. This seems unreasonable. They should waive the change fee for a hurricane. So annoyed.

Unfortunately airlines are getting worse and worse when it comes to this stuff. That is why I try to fly SWA and I have status with British Airways/American Airlines where I can use the lounge, get free seat upgrades etc... I just refuse to deal with their junk anymore for personal vacations. The only time I fly these airlines is for work or when SWA doesn't fly where I need to go. I just flew to Cedar Rapids and it was a complete nightmare with American. At least when my flight was 3 or 4 hours late I got to hang out in the flagship lounge in Dallas. I should have just rented a car and flew home.

Anyway did you book with a credit card that has trip cancellation insurance built in? I would check to see what their policy is for hurricanes. You might be able to get reimbursed if your trip gets disrupted because of the hurricane.

Even if I flew in a day early and there was a lot of rain I still would lose time in the parks etc. so I am already looking at plan b. I have some flexibility so I am lucky. I recently saw on the Orlando TV weather at least a Cat 2 which IMHO is a major storm. Isn't a Cat 2 at least a 75 mph sustained winds? :o:scared:

From someone who lives in Texas storms can change direction at any time. I wouldn't put too much weight into the chances of it hitting Orlando until it is closer to your flight date. It could change direction and completely not even effect Orlando. It's just too early. The only downside is it might be way muggier than before and people will panic and buy all the bottled water for 100's of miles.

I think a hurricane would definitely be more scary to others not used to them so I understand why a Cat 2 is still a major storm. People have a potential of getting hurt, etc. A Cat 2 for a North Carolinian is just make sure you have your hurricane supplies ready, and you might lose power for a day but it's not a big deal. 75 sustained winds near the eye wall is what it means. And sure, that's speedy winds but once again, nothing to really worry about if you just manage to hang out and watch TV in your hotel room if you're bunkered down for the day. I will say this too - A lot of people in the Orlando area book Disney hotels to wait out the storms because Disney is so awesome about safety and keeping everyone safe. It might be the safest place to be in regards to a storm, IMHO.

I say all this cause we aren't usually bothered with hurricanes here in NC, because we're used to them and even throw hurricane parties! However, if it snows... we're big babies! LOL

From someone who lives in Texas storms can change direction at any time. I wouldn't put too much weight into the chances of it hitting Orlando until it is closer to your flight date. It could change direction and completely not even effect Orlando. It's just too early. The only downside is it might be way muggier than before and people will panic and buy all the bottled water for 100's of miles.

Also a great point here, cause just like the past two years, we watch and watch the spaghetti models but they really don't mean anything and change CONSTANTLY. Last year with Hurricane Florence, or even Matthew before that, we were told it was taking different routes. However, Flo decided to hang out and camp off the coast and even inland. She even went a COMPLETELY different direction than predicted. However, as she stalled, she dumped SO MUCH rain. But yeah... just make sure to be prepared like @UmmGooD said!

I don’t know. I would imagine there will be some restrictions but I don’t imagine they will require immediate travel, but I don’t know for sure.

Thanks!

Unfortunately airlines are getting worse and worse when it comes to this stuff. That is why I try to fly SWA and I have status with British Airways/American Airlines where I can use the lounge, get free seat upgrades etc... I just refuse to deal with their junk anymore for personal vacations. The only time I fly these airlines is for work or when SWA doesn't fly where I need to go. I just flew to Cedar Rapids and it was a complete nightmare with American. At least when my flight was 3 or 4 hours late I got to hang out in the flagship lounge in Dallas. I should have just rented a car and flew home.

Anyway did you book with a credit card that has trip cancellation insurance built in? I would check to see what their policy is for hurricanes. You might be able to get reimbursed if your trip gets disrupted because of the hurricane.

That’s a great point. I know one card we have has travel insurance. I’ll have to check. Thanks!

Since everyone is talking hurricane here do you mind if I jump in with an anxiety dump??

My husband and I are flying in Monday we are supposed to arrive to mco around 4:30pm I think. We are coming from the very dry southwest so have no experience with this sort of thing. So I had a couple questions:

1.) we are flying southwest and they have already offered us waivers to change our flights. Is this something we should strongly be considering? Is it still to early? Would we be completely crazy to just say “let’s keep our plans and what happens happens” and hope we still can get to Florida that evening? (Our flight into Florida is leaving from Baltimore). Honestly I’m not worried about what happens at the parks once we are there just want to make sure we get there!

2.). Is there anything extra I should be packing? We are there 9-2 thru 9-10. Or just the regular rain gear.

This is our first trip to Disney, our first trip without our kids, and what was a highly anticipated trip is now giving me crazy anxiety!! Any words of wisdom or calming techniques or “yeah it will be rough a day or two, but once you get there you will still have an amazing time” are greatly appreciated lol!

Since everyone is talking hurricane here do you mind if I jump in with an anxiety dump??

My husband and I are flying in Monday we are supposed to arrive to mco around 4:30pm I think. We are coming from the very dry southwest so have no experience with this sort of thing. So I had a couple questions:

1.) we are flying southwest and they have already offered us waivers to change our flights. Is this something we should strongly be considering? Is it still to early? Would we be completely crazy to just say “let’s keep our plans and what happens happens” and hope we still can get to Florida that evening? (Our flight into Florida is leaving from Baltimore). Honestly I’m not worried about what happens at the parks once we are there just want to make sure we get there!

2.). Is there anything extra I should be packing? We are there 9-2 thru 9-10. Or just the regular rain gear.

This is our first trip to Disney, our first trip without our kids, and what was a highly anticipated trip is now giving me crazy anxiety!! Any words of wisdom or calming techniques or “yeah it will be rough a day or two, but once you get there you will still have an amazing time” are greatly appreciated lol!
Hurricanes are so unpredictable. You might change your flight and then Dorian speeds up or slows down. I, and I just say this personally, would wait a bit.
And in case of any hurricane, pack falshlights and batteries, make sure you have cash incase power issues with ATM or CC machines, and back up ways to charge phone/electronics. For everything else, you are in Disney...who cares!

1. I think you're actually smart to keep your plans the same! Speaking to my sister, who is a earmarked consultant and she said that Disney is one of the BEST places to be, and they seriously have amazing hurricane preparations for guests that chose to stay on property. She said she'd definitely keep the reservations if it were her. However, the only thing I would see about is seeing if you could get into town earlier than Monday! From the models I'm looking over is that it will be moreso towards the Florida coast on Monday, and while Disney will still be accepting guests, MCO might not be. Airports are definitely a different beast to tackle as in a simple rain shower can ruin delay/cancel a flight so I'd try to get in early, or just keep on holding on waiting to make a jump on change the tickets.

2. Rain showers/rain bands are usually the first signs of the pending hurricane/TS. They will be reaching the land as early as Friday, and might not go until long after the threat of landfall is over. Personally, I'd pack a rain jacket, and possibly even some wellies to keep those feet dry! Other than that? HAVE FUN. An umbrella is unwise due to wind gusts, and a poncho might blow around too much. Temperatures usually fluctuate a lot with hurricanes too. It usually cools down when the wind, clouds and possible rain come up. It might even be cooler the day after a hurricane but when the sun comes out, usually the humidity comes back with vengeance.

Ohhh boy. Dorian is looking worse and worse by the minute. I'm flying in Friday morning, so I think I'll be okay, but my friend is flying in Monday morning 😭 on Spirit, so I doubt they'll give her a waiver or anything to move her flight. Should we go ahead and bump her flight up to Sunday? Play it by ear? I have zero experience with hurricanes and have never even had a rainy day at Disney before, so please help!! TIA!

Thanks to everyone who has hurricane experience and words of wisdom!

I guess spending time hunkered down in a hotel room doesn't sound fun to me; jusy sayin. Pouring rain and strongish wind in the parks wouldn't be fun for me either.
I think if I lived there it would be different. Now snow is a different story! 😄
My plan is to wait for now; Delta is not offering waivers from MN at this point anyway.
I'll keep on watch here and at the Orlando TV weather site. 😊

Hey if anyone is looking for a California Grill ADR September 25th at 6:15 pm for 5 (or less) people, I'm dropping ours! We had an increase in our dining party and had to switch restaurants. PM me and we can try and coordinate!

With the new projections for Dorian, I'm getting a little worried. As it stands, I'm due to arrive at MCO on Monday at 9:30am. Not sure if I should try to move up my flight to maybe Saturday. But that would also mean spending more money on 2 extra nights.

With the new projections for Dorian, I'm getting a little worried. As it stands, I'm due to arrive at MCO on Monday at 9:30am. Not sure if I should try to move up my flight to maybe Saturday. But that would also mean spending more money on 2 extra nights.
But they’d be two extra nights at WDW 😂

Tonight, DH asked the repercussions of putting off the trip (financial, and time availability in my work-travel schedule). As of now, we are sticking with your plans of arriving Sat morning, and sticking it out in the world until Fri. We’ve always gone in Jan/Feb. I have NO idea what to expect with a hurricane! Should we just keep the plans and look forward to lower crowds? 😬

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter