• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

September 2015 Car Rental Watch

Ugh, everyone check your Alamo rates. The Florida Surcharge is back - my existing rental went back up by $2/day.

So...when I had hit my best rate (w/ out the FL surcharge), I went ahead & did the online check in. It shows my rate on the paperwork. I would think they'll have to honor it, right? (I still check regularly, but the rate is up ~ $17 so I havne't made a new booking.)

I don't get the surcharge stuff..... does that mean that in Florida, I will have to pay more than the rate I reserved for?

I don't get the surcharge stuff..... does that mean that in Florida, I will have to pay more than the rate I reserved for?

You always pay more than you reserved for...that's why in threads like this you'll see people post both the base rate and the total. There's all kinds of fees and taxes: airport fees, tax, surcharges, I think battery or tire wear taxes, recovery fees and whatever else they can think of...and they vary by agency. Thats why its always important to drill all the way thru on a reservation to see what it really costs.

No, I am aware of the regular charges on top of the base rate.... is this different?

I'm using the Visa and Costco codes and getting 170 for a premium rental (I need to fit 3 across car seats) at Alamo (the full size was 159) for 9/22-29. I'll keep checking but do those sound reasonable? Midsize was 130 I think.

I'm using the Visa and Costco codes and getting 170 for a premium rental (I need to fit 3 across car seats) at Alamo (the full size was 159) for 9/22-29. I'll keep checking but do those sound reasonable? Midsize was 130 I think.
Yes, I booked a standard/full-sized for $159 and that's the best I have seen recently. I would certainly book it and keep checking.

You always pay more than you reserved for...that's why in threads like this you'll see people post both the base rate and the total. There's all kinds of fees and taxes: airport fees, tax, surcharges, I think battery or tire wear taxes, recovery fees and whatever else they can think of...and they vary by agency. Thats why its always important to drill all the way thru on a reservation to see what it really costs.

I booked (what I thought/think is) a great deal through carrentalsavers (for Budget). This appears to have all of the taxes and fees included. Unlike Alamo, it doesn't state an estimated price, but a total instead (and provides an amount for all taxes and fees). Should I still expect to pay more than what I reserve for? I haven't seen this site mentioned in this thread so I'm not very familiar with how it works.

I should point out that I have (currently) a full size care reserved at 168.41 for nine days, though Budget with (supposedly) all fees. I had also found a premium Alamo at 207 for the same time.

I booked (what I thought/think is) a great deal through carrentalsavers (for Budget). This appears to have all of the taxes and fees included. Unlike Alamo, it doesn't state an estimated price, but a total instead (and provides an amount for all taxes and fees). Should I still expect to pay more than what I reserve for? I haven't seen this site mentioned in this thread so I'm not very familiar with how it works.

I should point out that I have (currently) a full size care reserved at 168.41 for nine days, though Budget with (supposedly) all fees. I had also found a premium Alamo at 207 for the same time.

No that will most likely be your total. The final price Alamo gives you before you book has the taxes and fees added by that stage so that would almost certainly be your total. They generally say "estimated total" as a CYA for them in a tax rate or fee changes. But the final rate shown on your booking is 99.9% sure to be your final price.

If you are looking for the amount of room in the vehicle, the full size car and the premium car selection is very similar. In fact it is very common to find the same car in both aisle but the ones in the Premium aisle have more bells and whistles. Last time we were renting Alamo at MCO, there were Chev Impala LT's on the full size aisle and Impala LZ on the Premium aisle. Similarly we found the Dodge Charger on FS aisle and Charger RT on the Premium aisle.
Nice thing about Alamo is that you get to pick the vehicle yourself from whatever size aisle that you booked and there can be a very diverse selection, especially in the full size aisle. We have seen FS, SUVs, Minivans and even the occasional premium or luxury sneaks in there (we got an Infiniti G35 on one of our trips and a Mustang coupe on another, just luck of the draw I guess)

If you are looking for the amount of room in the vehicle, the full size car and the premium car selection is very similar. In fact it is very common to find the same car in both aisle but the ones in the Premium aisle have more bells and whistles. Last time we were renting Alamo at MCO, there were Chev Impala LT's on the full size aisle and Impala LZ on the Premium aisle. Similarly we found the Dodge Charger on FS aisle and Charger RT on the Premium aisle.
Nice thing about Alamo is that you get to pick the vehicle yourself from whatever size aisle that you booked and there can be a very diverse selection, especially in the full size aisle. We have seen FS, SUVs, Minivans and even the occasional premium or luxury sneaks in there (we got an Infiniti G35 on one of our trips and a Mustang coupe on another, just luck of the draw I guess)

Oh really? I haven't used Alamo before (we rarely have to rent cars) so thank you so much for this tip! I was the most worried about having space for everyone between the car seats and both my husband and I are tall, so this makes me feel a bit better if we get to pick (I know what cars I don't want - for instance, some cars have overlapping seatbelts in the back row and you are actually prohibited to use all 3 seats at once, the Toyota Rav4 is one of them. That wouldn't work for us because we need all 5 seats). I really appreciate this!

No that will most likely be your total. The final price Alamo gives you before you book has the taxes and fees added by that stage so that would almost certainly be your total. They generally say "estimated total" as a CYA for them in a tax rate or fee changes. But the final rate shown on your booking is 99.9% sure to be your final price.

Great news, thanks!

My Alamo rate just dropped significantly after using 20% off coupon code and also using a Free Day coupon code this morning. Just FYI

What is the 20% off code?
EXTENDED! Alamo Discount, up to 20% off nationwide! For up to 20% off use Alamo contract ID 7014926. Valid for rental pickup by 12/31/15. No printouts required, blackouts may apply.

EXTENDED! Alamo Discount, up to 20% off nationwide! For up to 20% off use Alamo contract ID 7014926. Valid for rental pickup by 12/31/15. No printouts required, blackouts may apply.

O.K.:

I'm giving up. I have $83.XX with all taxes, dog license fees, fees for window glass, fees for tires, etc. for a five-day rental of a full-size through Hertz, including a free additional driver. But, being a cheap, greedy jerk I have been looking to shave another $5 or $10, but looking today, everything is at least three times what I have now (I reserved this back in early July, late June...a late-night thing, which is when I seem to get the best deals).

Anyway, I will do a lowball Priceline a few days before departure, but otherwise, heck with it. I hope y'all find prices dropping a bit, because the ones I am seeing in the past couple of days are a bit ridiculous.

O.K.:

I'm giving up. I have $83.XX with all taxes, dog license fees, fees for window glass, fees for tires, etc. for a five-day rental of a full-size through Hertz, including a free additional driver. But, being a cheap, greedy jerk I have been looking to shave another $5 or $10, but looking today, everything is at least three times what I have now (I reserved this back in early July, late June...a late-night thing, which is when I seem to get the best deals).

Anyway, I will do a lowball Priceline a few days before departure, but otherwise, heck with it. I hope y'all find prices dropping a bit, because the ones I am seeing in the past couple of days are a bit ridiculous.
I tried the 20% off code, but Costco plus the 30 off Visa thing was still cheaper.

FYI - through Hotwire, then connecting to Alamo, Sept for 9 days, a Dodge Caravan, for $228. using Visa code and Costco. Hope this might help someone....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter