• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

September 2015 Car Rental Watch

That's interesting. Usually without modifying, the total rental will stay the same as when you booked it. I have seen small changes due to some of the taxes/fees changing, but usually that's $5 or less. In your case, I think you are correct and you should not modify it if it is showing a higher rate. Do keep looking though...it might drop some more as you get closer.

I (and a few others) had the same thing happen. The Florida surcharge ($2/day) has been taken off of these reservations. We don't know if it is a glitch and the fees will come back or if the new lower rate will be the one honored. In a few weeks, I should know!

Ugh, everyone check your Alamo rates. The Florida Surcharge is back - my existing rental went back up by $2/day.

Ugh, everyone check your Alamo rates. The Florida Surcharge is back - my existing rental went back up by $2/day.

Too bad..i already printed out the documents and they WILL accept the lower rate and will have to cough it up! I had the lower rate for a new reservation and cancelled it because my original reservation went down....Now, they made it higher than my original rate...Why are they messing with my reservations? I am quite annoyed!

Too bad..i already printed out the documents and they WILL accept the lower rate and will have to cough it up! I had the lower rate for a new reservation and cancelled it because my original reservation went down....Now, they made it higher than my original rate...Why are they messing with my reservations? I am quite annoyed!

with me, they will...i don't play games. if i have the proof of document, i will fight it. They shouldn't mess with my reservations. If they made a mistake, that's THEIR problem!

Just be aware that if you're going to challenge the rate, you'll likely have to go to the counter and have a manager approve it. I've done that once and fortunately the counter wasn't too busy. You probably won't be able to do an online checkin since it will show the higher rate...although you could go to the counter. I don't think the agent at the exit gate has the authority to approve rate changes and I'm not sure about the counter in the garage.

Personally, the biggest advantage to Alamo is the ability to check in ahead, get out to the car and go.

But all this might be moot: rates will likely go down some more.

You may be out of luck since the base rate is the same, only your taxes and fees have changed. Also, you only really get an estimated price which is not finalized until you return the vehicle.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is fine print stating that taxes and fees may be subject to change.

You may be out of luck since the base rate is the same, only your taxes and fees have changed. Also, you only really get an estimated price which is not finalized until you return the vehicle.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is fine print stating that taxes and fees may be subject to change.

On my printed copy it says estimated total. There is no grounds to fight it. Plus after spending 1.5 million dollars in a Disney trip is $20 really worth starting your trip off with negitive energy.

The $20 is not worth the counter line for me. I will not fight it.

Normally i would agree and do see all above points..., however, when i have been looking online daily to see if rates come down and one time, it did (lower than my original reservation price) ...and a few day later, i cancelled that reservation because my original reservation went down, yes, that was THEM messing with my original reservations. In the past, if i find a lower rate, then i would have made a new one and cancel the original reservation..however, THEY did the MODIFY on my original reservation...Not me!!! SO how can THEY mess with my original reservation rate up and down when i took that original rate for this particular reservation?? it should have stayed the same all the way through. That my whole point.

On my printed copy it says estimated total. There is no grounds to fight it. Plus after spending 1.5 million dollars in a Disney trip is $20 really worth starting your trip off with negitive energy.

I agree!! I may end up just bypassing the counter and go right to the car and not deal with it. I am just mad right now about it. But i get over it-- but It still wrong for what they did. I will bring all my back up reservations and hope for the best...:guilty:

Last edited:
Does Alamo kiosk or online check in allow you to add an additional driver or will we have to go to the counter?

Mine actually increased 2.00 above the original. I'll take the printed confirmation with the lower rate. If they don't want to honor it...I'll have a back up reservation. I agree, they are modifying the reservation, so hopefully if it's in black and white they will honor it.

Check prices on Alamo. After the Florida Surcharge SNAFU my rate had jumped from $158 during the SNAFU to $175 when they corrected the problem, but good news!! Checking today and my rate, including the Florida Surcharge is down to $161 using the double upgrade coded and the Costco code. This for an 8-day rental with the upgrade from a compact to a standard. Just goes to show, with rental car rates, never give up. I have a week to go and I will still be checking rates every day until I leave.

Hope this helps someone...just used the Costco ID and the Visa coupon for Sept 10-19, for an 8 passenger minivan, and got a rate of $287. with Alamo.

Thanks for the update. With my BJs membership and the $30 VISA coupon, I grabbed a compact for 11 days (9/23 - 10/4) for $155.40. Since I only need the rental for a couple of days, I will keep checking for a lower rate.

ETA: Same rate with Alamo Insider and VISA coupon.
With the unwelcomed addition of the Florida surcharge, my estimated price increased to $178.83. That's $23.43 more. :sad2:

No thank you. So I canceled my reservation. Maybe there will be a better deal later if supply is more abundant? :confused3

How and where do you get the Visa coupons? This car rental stuff can drive you crazy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter