Separated on SW flight?

mom18

Mouseketeer
I have a southwest question. (Hope I'm putting this in the right spot!)

We are flying into Tampa on a Monday morning (dh, ds11, dd6, myself) about 530am departure from Prov RI. My kids will panic if they have to sit by themselves. My daughter would be scared to sit alone and my son has very high anxiety about certain things, (like planes), noise, being alone, etc.

I know SW has family boarding, and early bird boarding (which we didn't purchase). With family boarding only will we really be separated on the flight? Do I really need to purchase early bird boarding in order to ensure we will be able to sit together?

Same with our return flight, we are leaving on Tuesday with SW at 730, but that is leaving from MCO.
I was thinking with our flight in being into Tampa there may be less children on flight, and would be more of a chance of us sitting for together, but not sure!

Any insight would be great!
Thanks!

I've never used family boarding so others will have to speak to that, but my husband and I have always found seats together every time we've flown Southwest, even with terrible boarding numbers. I believe family boarding is between A and B - and if that's the case, you'll have no trouble finding seats together. We love flying SW!

I think only one adult and one kid (max age 6) board at family boarding. Not the whole family. I would buy early bird boarding if your daughter is a nervous flyer. Because at 11, I don't think they'll make a lot of effort to find seating for you together for her sake. It'll be luck of the draw.

Southwest's official Family boarding procedure reads that 1 adult and 1 child (6 or under) would board between groups A and B, but I've always been able to board with my entire party, including grandparents.

As long as you check in to your flight at exactly 24 hours before take-off, you should be fine. Even if you end up in Group B, you will still have a decent selection of 2 seats together (this is assuming only one of you and 6 year old can board during family boarding). Perhaps purchase early boarding for you and your 11 yo, then have your DH and 6 yo board during family boarding.

At this point buying early bird isn't going to help you much unless you can't check in right at 24 hours since early bird goes in the order it was purchased.

Your chances at this point depend on alot of things. How many other people bought early bird, where you are flying out of (RI isn't a hub so your likely not going to have alot of people on the plane before the A boarding group so that is a plus), how many other kids are on the plane (the more small kids the less likely they are to let additional people on during family boarding because they don't want to board more then half the plane at family boarding).

This is honestly something you should have thought about a long time ago. However since you didn't to make the best of it:
1)Check in exactly at 24 hours.
2) If your boarding positions suck (B30 or worse) consider getting to the airport earlier and seeing if you can upgrade two of you to business boarding. Its more expensive, 40 a ticket I think, but gets you into the early As.
3) Be flexible on where you sit. I have seen people start arguing with people trying to get them to move in the front and end up having more people fill in around them and be even more stuck. If you have to sit two and two know which two are going together. Make sure everyone has their own things they need just in case.
4) If you can't find next to look early for other options. Can you sit just behind your daugther, or where she can still see you. Be ready to jump on whatever is next best for you and don't be trying to figure that out at the last minute as other people are still finding seats.
5) buy early board for your trip home now. Since you are even less likely to be able to check in right at 24 hours while you are on vacation.

The bottom line is if you have that many concerns then you shouldn't hesitate to pay for Early boarding. It's not fair to those who pay for early boarding when others get the same advantage without having to pay for it. Because technically that IS what you are asking. I really wish Southwest would STOP allowing FAMILY boarding without payment for it. It is not a courtesy if I have to pay $15 for a position in line and FAMILIES get a better choice of seats. They may as well start CHARGING FOR SEATS.

The bottom line is if you have that many concerns then you shouldn't hesitate to pay for Early boarding. It's not fair to those who pay for early boarding when others get the same advantage without having to pay for it. Because technically that IS what you are asking. I really wish Southwest would STOP allowing FAMILY boarding without payment for it. It is not a courtesy if I have to pay $15 for a position in line and FAMILIES get a better choice of seats. They may as well start CHARGING FOR SEATS.

Can't agree with this anymore. Not fair if I pay and get the B and family goes before me. I think all people who pay should go first (not over handicap)

You can buy Early bird for yourself and one child board in the A group and each take a seat in a different row. When your husband and second child board your husband can sit next to child one and child two can sit next to you. We have done this in the past without any problems, sometimes it means moving closer to the back of the plane but we were together.

As the PP said, buying EBCI now probably will not make much difference. In most cases, SWA will let an entire immediate family board during family boarding if there is a child who qualifies. (Two adults in the party is the normal limit.)

Honestly, you should be absolutely fine; just make sure you check in at exactly 24 hours out.. You are obviously on the first flight of the day, which means there will be no connecting passengers already taking up seats. Head straight for the back of the plane and there should be plenty open as long as your number is no higher than the mid-B's. (IME, even on the Orlando routes, the very earliest flights that depart prior to 6:30 am seldom attract many young families, so the number of family boarding passengers doesn't tend to be large enough that they have to go to the more restrictive rules that only allow the young child and one adult.)

Tip for quicker online check in (if you are not using the SWA app with a Rapid Reward account itinerary already in place): Open up your browser and TRY to check in before 24 hours. It will reject your attempt, but if you then hit BACK, all of your information will still be typed in. Then just watch your device's clock, and the second it turns over at the 24 hour mark, hit enter.

If your son's anxiety is really severe (as in bad enough that he would be likely to disturb other passengers with his agitation, or cause an FA to have to intervene), then in the worst case scenario you could ask the Gate Agent for a blue-sleeve disability boarding position for him and one accompanying adult. A blue sleeve allows that person to pre-board. Please do NOT use this option unless you get C positions, and not unless he is likely to full-out panic and get in the way of the FA's; it otherwise would be an abuse of the system.

Last edited:
You can buy Early bird for yourself and one child board in the A group and each take a seat in a different row. When your husband and second child board your husband can sit next to child one and child two can sit next to you. We have done this in the past without any problems, sometimes it means moving closer to the back of the plane but we were together.

And THESE TACTICS are WHY Southwest needs to stop allowing FAMILY BOARDING. Handicap board FIRST.........THEN everyone else according to boarding position. All this other nonsense needs to stop!! :sad2:

Traveling with kids is so stressful for parents. Extending a little kindness doesn't hurt.

That said, I often prefer to board AFTER family boarding so I know I'm going to be able choose a seat away from kids and not get stuck in a situation where they plop down next to me during family boarding.

OP, you should purchase Early Bird if your situation necessitates you sitting together. While it's not guaranteed, you will have far more possibilities to sit together using that method.

And THESE TACTICS are WHY Southwest needs to stop allowing FAMILY BOARDING. Handicap board FIRST.........THEN everyone else according to boarding position. All this other nonsense needs to stop!! :sad2:

I agree. And it's not because my kid is older. Family boarding increased the stress for us. My son was a big strong handful at that age, and after exactly ONE flight we realized that getting on the plane early (and I believe that flight was when family boarding was directly after handicap boarding) made it worse for us. Sitting around on a lap with nothing to do? Nope!

Traveling with kids is so stressful for parents. Extending a little kindness doesn't hurt.

I should digress to begin a conversation on this. I will say if it is THAT stressful, then maybe another METHOD of transportation may be in order altogether. Courtesy would be to allow THOSE THAT PAID for EARLY BOARDING to do just that and BOARD EARLY !! I don't recall any policies or guidelines that allow FREE PARENTAL BOARDING FOR LESS STRESS.....omg....unbelieveable!!!

I have a southwest question. (Hope I'm putting this in the right spot!)

We are flying into Tampa on a Monday morning (dh, ds11, dd6, myself) about 530am departure from Prov RI. My kids will panic if they have to sit by themselves. My daughter would be scared to sit alone and my son has very high anxiety about certain things, (like planes), noise, being alone, etc.

I know SW has family boarding, and early bird boarding (which we didn't purchase). With family boarding only will we really be separated on the flight? Do I really need to purchase early bird boarding in order to ensure we will be able to sit together?

Same with our return flight, we are leaving on Tuesday with SW at 730, but that is leaving from MCO.
I was thinking with our flight in being into Tampa there may be less children on flight, and would be more of a chance of us sitting for together, but not sure!

Any insight would be great!
Thanks!

HIGH Anxiety issue....FEAR issue....says to BUY Early Bird Check-in for Peace of Mind. You are already causing yourself stress by worrying about it. On the day you arrive at the airport you are going to be worked up with concern if you can sit together or not. You can relieve all of the stress and anxiety by purchasing EBCI. Or take your chances and be sure to check-in at the 24 hour mark in an attempt to get a higher boarding position to increase your chances of having a good amount of seats to choose from. Have a FANTASTIC VACATiON !!!!!

I should digress to begin a conversation on this. I will say if it is THAT stressful, then maybe another METHOD of transportation may be in order altogether. Courtesy would be to allow THOSE THAT PAID for EARLY BOARDING to do just that and BOARD EARLY !! I don't recall any policies or guidelines that allow FREE PARENTAL BOARDING FOR LESS STRESS.....omg....unbelieveable!!!

This is the way Southwest does it. It's very clearly spelled out on their site that 1) Family boarding is between A and B and 2) You're not guaranteed an A pass with EBCI. We can debate the rightness or wrongness of the policy (I actually agree with you!) but if you're this worked up over it, maybe best to stop flying Southwest.

Your chances at this point depend on alot of things. How many other people bought early bird, where you are flying out of (RI isn't a hub so your likely not going to have alot of people on the plane before the A boarding group so that is a plus), how many other kids are on the plane (the more small kids the less likely they are to let additional people on during family boarding because they don't want to board more then half the plane at family boarding).

Rhode Island at 5:30 AM is an originating flight. Most likely, but not absolutely, the POp's family will be able to sit 2+2 or 3+1. Easiest if you hear toward the back of the plane. Best bet is still to purchase EBCI, especially if there's a plane change.

Return flight at 7:30 AM is probably also originating flight. Still, best to purchase EBCI - what it you're on an attraction at T-24?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter