Separate room for ACT testing?

Earstou

DIS Veteran
Has anyone ever requested your child do testing in a separate room for the ACT? My 12yo ds will be taking the ACT in a few months for the Duke TIP program. He is mild ASD and ADHD, can be distracted by blinking flourescent lights, noises, etc. His IEP lists extra time for tests, which we have never taken advantage of, since he has done okay so far, but the IEP team kept it since we didn't know how he would adjust to middle school.
But I'm thinking he has never been in a testing site with large numbers of students, and this could be very distracting for him.
Anyone have experience with this, and what did you do?

It would be interesting to follow up on. Since it's for the Duke TIPs program, I don't think they'd have any obligation to give your child a separate room.

If I were you, since it really doesn't "count", I'd use the experience as a test. Give him a couple of the practice tests in an ideal quiet environment. Then compare those scores with how he does on the actual test (taken in the big room with everybody else). If he does a lot worse, you'll know that when he takes the PSAT and ACT "for real", you'll need to have accomodations.

Just an FYI in case it is the same there. My DS took the SAT via the Duke TIP when 12. He took it with all the older high school kids - they did not put them in different rooms which surprised me. I figured the younger ones would be together. It appeared to me that he was just another student, not looked at by those running the test site as a Duke TIP. So that could be another distraction to be so much younger.....if that would bother him.

If you have "a documented disability, you may be eligible for accomodations on the SAT. To apply, you must submit an Eligibility Form..." Go online to www.collegeboard.com for more information. My SAT booklet lists the following accomodations, wheelchair access, seating where you can lip read or use sign language, ability to have snacks or medicine due to a medical condition or a large print test and block sheet. Additional accomodations may be subject to review by The College Board.

I would think they will work with you on the best room setting but maybe not the time issue, especially since he has never had to utilize it before. Just a guess, but maybe someone has had direct experience with the time issue.

Good Luck !

Another thought is to have him sit in the very front row at the very end so he's got the least amount of distraction in his sight.

Anne

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter