Sensory Issues and Lines

cathyshos

Shos loves Disney
For our October trip, my little girl will be almost 3 1/2 years old. She has some mild senory issues, and age appropriate, yet extreme behaviorall issues .
I am really concerned about lines and about transitioning from one thing to the next. Any pointers?

If she does better in a stroller you can ask at guest services to use the stroller as a wheelchair so that you can take it in line with you. The disabilities board may have some more information for you. Hope you have a great trip!

Check out the Disabilities forum.

The stroller as a wheelchair accomodation would be helpful. I use noise cancelling earmuffs with my DD. She has a lot of sensory issues, but sound is probably her biggest issue. We tried using foam earplugs but she didn't like having anything inside her ear so the earmuff type noise protection worked much better for us.

For a child who has trouble transitioning, it can be helpful to have a detailed itinerary so she can see what's coming up. At her age, a picture itinerary would be most helpful since I'm assuming she can't read. Let her hold it and keep track of where you are (I laminate using clear shelf paper or even just clear packing tape). Also, preparing her for what she'll experience through youtube videos and books will be helpful so she won't be surprised by what she experiences. All the stimulae of WDW is overwhelming enough without having to deal with the uncertainty of the entire experience being new.

We've taken sensory sensitive kids in the past (all but 1 of my kids have sensory issues of different varieties). We've made use of the quiet trails and sitting areas to help decompress from the constant bombardment. I've taken a beach towel to drape over the stroller to help create a small space that is less sensory input. I try to watch even the most minor of clothing irritations (no tags even though most could handle them on a normal basis), etc. I added in things I knew were soothing to them - one found playing in water soothing, so that ended the day or was during rest time (in a bath tub).

This past trip I noticed that DHS was the LOUDEST park by far, it irritated all 6 of us. Make sure to take advantage of the One Mans Dream movie (but be prepared to leave if your child has a meltdown).

One of my kids would totally scream and melt down if they got too stimulated, so I learned to recognize the signs if possible (sometimes it wasn't), and I always had an "escape" plan for them. ;)

Biggest thing, don't worry about what others think about you and your parenting style - you'll never see them again! Do what works for you while being considerate of others near you (i.e. me singing to my child would NOT be a good thing for others). ;) One of my kids reacted to Disney's extra stimulus, but being extra excited...so I let them jump in line while holding my hands. It didn't bother others other than seeing the movement because I made sure the child didn't touch or jump on others....it helped that child. Wore me out faster...but it worked.

My best advice, as someone who gets overwhelmed and has a kid who does to is not to get caught in the headspace of needing to DO something every minute. It is better to sit on a bench with a Mickey bar being happy than to make sure you ride that last ride in Fantasyland all stressed out.

Do you have a local theme park that you can try out first? Many of the parents in my special needs preschool class have asked when they should take their kids to Disneyland for the first time. I always suggest they take a day trip to one of the handful of parks we have in our area. See how they do in lines, on rides, with transitions, etc. Last summer, one mom was totally surprised at how well her daughter did. They did a Disneyland trip a few months later with no issues. On the other hand, another mom tried out another park with her son. She said it was awful. He was afraid of even the tamest rides, the crowds overwhelmed him, and they left after only a few hours. They are going to try again this summer and see if it's time to plan a trip for the fall or winter.

For a child who has trouble transitioning, it can be helpful to have a detailed itinerary so she can see what's coming up. At her age, a picture itinerary would be most helpful since I'm assuming she can't read. Let her hold it and keep track of where you are (I laminate using clear shelf paper or even just clear packing tape). Also, preparing her for what she'll experience through youtube videos and books will be helpful so she won't be surprised by what she experiences. All the stimulae of WDW is overwhelming enough without having to deal with the uncertainty of the entire experience being new.

This. We had AP's the year my middle, sensory-sensitive child was 4. He had been multiple times as a baby, but of course didn't remember it, and as a preschooler found new and unfamiliar situations very stressful. We spent a lot of time preparing him for the parks--watching videos, looking at pictures from past trips, and telling stories in which he was the main character about traveling to and visiting the parks. We talked about how long it would take to get there, what things would look like/sound like/feel like, waiting in lines, lots of people, etc. It helped him a lot as far as knowing what to expect, and we really never had behavior issues with him at Disney because of this.

The funny thing is that we got so used to Disney that we didn't need to do this anymore after a short time, and so when we would visit another amusement or theme park that was not Disney we would forget to prepare him and he would do miserably. Even recently (he's 11 now) we went to LEGOLand and it took him most of the day to get used to it, because he didn't know what do expect and I hadn't prepared him. Things just got so easy at Disney that I forgot!

Go during the off season - shorter lines, less waiting.

Go at rope drop - shorter lines, less waiting.

Use FP and a good touring plan - less waiting.

Don't go all commando and crazy. Don't have a set idea about how much you 'have' to get done each day. No one can do it all in a day, so enjoy what you do.

Stay hydrated. It's amazing how magnified behaviors become when one is dehydrated.

My DS has always done really well at WDW. There were a few things we had to avoid up until very recently. Fantasmic! too loud and scary for him. Mickey's Philharmagic they puff air in your face etc. he hated it. There is also a part towards the end of the Figment ride where they blast air at you but, we always would just hide his face cause we knew when it was. He wasn't overly fond of Muppets Vision either. He doesn't like the 4D effects plus he has doesn't like 3D but, he watches stuff now just no glasses. No It's Tough to be a Bug or dinosaur but, a lot of kids don't like those.

I used the babycare center when I brought my DS when he was the same age. It helped to have some quiet time and get away from the crowds.

Use an iphone app to know about wait times and FP return times. I use the one that's listed on the WDW park maps.

Keep the days short and go swimming or use the bath tub to decompress.

Don't worry if your DD has a meltdown (it happens).

Skip Downtown Disney at night -- it gets really crowded. If you want to go, go when it first opens. You can check the DTD map so you park in the section where you want to be.

I used the stroller as a wheelchair for all 3 of my trips when DS was between 2 1/2 - 3/ 1/2 years old and this really helped us. Now, 5 years later, my DS 8 is doing much better and doesn't need this but at the time it was the only we could have made it.

I used a harness / leash so he could walk around without having to hold my hand.

Keep mealtimes on schedule and bath and bed routines similar to what's done at night.

Look at the menus and figure out what you're going to feed DD in advance so you know there will be something that she'll like or you can plan to bring something in to the park for her to eat. I wouldn't add new food experiences to the trip.

Limit the sugar and junk food.

my ds is very sensory sensitive, he was 4 this past trip. We also used noise canceling ear muffs and they were a life saver at times. He wore them in all the shows and during parades and fireworks. He did have some difficulty in line a few times, he just gets over stimulated so easily, or he sees something in line and gets worked up about the ride. (we had this happen with Buzz and Pooh, because the que area is so well themed, and he just freaked out over something little.) He LOVES all things Disney, but it is hard to travel there with him. We did our best to plan ahead for his needs/behavior, but there is just so much going on in Disney you can't anticipate everything. I am debating asking for the separate waiting area pass next time, I think he would do a lot better on some rides waiting in a more out of the way place. I just get nervous because he doesn't look like anything is wrong and I don't want to have a problem. Has anyone had a problem getting a GAC?

my ds is very sensory sensitive, he was 4 this past trip. We also used noise canceling ear muffs and they were a life saver at times. He wore them in all the shows and during parades and fireworks. He did have some difficulty in line a few times, he just gets over stimulated so easily, or he sees something in line and gets worked up about the ride. (we had this happen with Buzz and Pooh, because the que area is so well themed, and he just freaked out over something little.) He LOVES all things Disney, but it is hard to travel there with him. We did our best to plan ahead for his needs/behavior, but there is just so much going on in Disney you can't anticipate everything. I am debating asking for the separate waiting area pass next time, I think he would do a lot better on some rides waiting in a more out of the way place. I just get nervous because he doesn't look like anything is wrong and I don't want to have a problem. Has anyone had a problem getting a GAC?
Check the FAQ on the disabilities board. What to remember is you have to explain what his need are not just give a diagnosis. For example dd has a mild form of cp. we may ask for a stroller as a wheelchair gac next time. Someone lease with the same diagnosis may need a completely different accommodation ( separate waiting area or somethig I can't web think about). Also remember park conditions may dictate how the gac is used in the park and these can vary based on time of yet and crowd level. So because something happen one way at pooh does not mean if you go by tomorrow it will be exactly the same way.

Very few of the attractions have a separate waiting area, and those areas can be just as stimulating (loud) and very crowded. Using that area can also increase your wait time, as only a few parties at a time are allowed to load. They can't have too many people needing assistance in the ride vehicles at the same time in case of evacuation.

Don't stand in long lines. Seriously. Get a FastPass or come back later. Arrive at the parks at opening and ride the the attractions that get a big line later.

You obviously know your child best, but my son always did much better if I was holding him. That seemed to be enough for him.

He wouldn't see characters himself - I had to hold him (though he'd been fine on previous trips).

He preferred to close his sun shade while in the stroller. I admit that I did fight it sometimes, but let him go others.

We never really had problems standing in line though. We talked, told stories, made the time pass quickly.

The biggest thing for us was that after a certain time, we just had to go back to the hotel and unwind. He just wanted to be at the hotel and play (and I think soak up the quietness). So we had dinner at POP every night. It certainly wasn't how I envisioned the trip going but it worked for us, I guess. Better than having a super cranky freak out.

Don't stand in long lines. Seriously. Get a FastPass or come back later. Arrive at the parks at opening and ride the the attractions that get a big line later.

Yes, THIS! :cool1:

I can't deal with waiting in long lines. I mean, CAN'T. As in, I had to have a CM let me out of line at Soarin' (I returned another day with a FastPass), because I was just barely hanging on to my sanity. The long tunnely crowded area made me panic. I know exactly how these kids with sensory issues feel ;) The noise and sights just strike at the nerves.

So for me, I make extensive use of Fastpasses. IMO it's worth all the extra walking to go collect them. I also go at opening, leave when it gets crowded and I get all stressed, and come back later-when it is so much less crowded. It isn't worth it to me to be on sensory overload. DHS and AK are the worst for that IMO. I think the ideas PP's have had about the strollers and also headphones sound good-of course I have not tried them because as the mom, strollers don't come in my size :rotfl2: and I need to be hearing so I can't use headphones. But the Fastpasses and really avoiding crowds helps with the sensory stuff for me, and would help the kids too I imagine (my own kids don't have this issue, it's me).

I have used "Grumpy Tickets" printed off the Creative Disigns board. I usually print 1 per day or 2 depending on the age. The object is to keep as many tickets as you can during the trip and the child can pick an extra gift on our last day from a gift shop. Child must have 1 ticket remaining on the last day to receive extra gift. I allow one "warning" re: "you're about to lose a grumpy ticket". The second time I tear up the ticket - this way they know mom isn't going to change her mind and child won't get the ticket back. My son is on the autism spectrum and this has worked great with him.

We never stand in line for more than 20 minutes.

Does your dd have coping skills? Ds at that age always wore a baseball cap and sunglasses everywhere, and I brought a blanket when he'd start to get really overwhelmed. He likes to hide when things get to be too much.

Honestly, though, Disney World is like the best therapy ever for ds. In the real world, he is terrified of people, he acts out in school, he eats an incredibly limited diet, any change in routine or schedule ends up in out of control tantrums for hours, even sometimes days. He has pretty severe behavioral problems. And taking him to Disney World always results in some anxiety for me. His social behavior is very delayed, so for instance, at 7 his social and self help skills are at about a young 3 year old level. Just to give oyu some back ground. But at Disney World, it's amazing. the first few days he is really rigid, but before long he starts eating things he would never touch before. He enjoys trying new things. Meeting new people. He volunteers for stuff. He rarely cries or misbehaves. It's like the sweet little boy that is underneath all of the neurological issues is able to finally come out. He doesn't even hardly have tics when we're there.

So for us, and my son, all my worries about how he will do in crowds has been pretty unfounded - at Disney World. That's not to say that he is miraculously just like every other kid his age, he still has issues. We have to use a stroller because he darts off, especially at night, he hides in the stroller when things get to be too much, every now and then he will call people bad guys or start talking in the baby voice (it's like this bizarre alter ego). So he's not perfect, but for us who take care of him all the time, the changes are amazing. We're cognizant of what he needs and when, but in general he does very very well at DW. Honestly, I think it is because every new thing he tries ends up being a positive experience, and unfortunately, real life isn't like that.

So, my advice is, go in armed with your dd's coping skills in hand a plan, but keep an open mind that you may not need them. Have fun. :)

Oh, and I have to say, the Disneyland and Disney World employees have been fabulous with my son. Even when he is acting kind of weird and other adults start getting nasty, they have always been wonderful. I think they must have some training, because they could not have been better when dealing with him. I still get teary eyed thinking about how kind everyone at the Jedi training was with him. And that is without me telling them anything, they were just nice to him just because.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter