• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

sensory in adults and other disbilitys

adamlatham smith

Mouseketeer
1) what sort of help is there for adult with sensory problems as some days when i get bad day with it i need ear defenders

2) what sort help is there forme bring my owen wheelchair in rooms, park and water parks

3) i also have muild leanibg disbilitys.

1) what sort of help is there for adult with sensory problems as some days when i get bad day with it i need ear defenders

2) what sort help is there forme bring my owen wheelchair in rooms, park and water parks

1) Bring your ear defenders. My DD used to bring hers to the parks and use them when things got to be too much. Then she transitioned to using earbuds and listening to music she likes on her phone. But for our next trip, she's said she will be bringing her ear defenders again.

Besides noise, you don't indicate what other things aggravate your sensory issues. Sunglasses help DD. We also take breaks during the day. You should also read up on the Disability Assistance Service. There is a sticky thread at the top of this forum. There's no need to read the full thread. Just reading the first post will give you the vital information:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...genie-post-one-is-an-updated-summary.3849395/

2) I can't help with this as I've never dealt with it.

3) There are a lot of different learning disabilities with different impacts. Without knowing how your learning disabilities impact your day to day life, I'm not able to give advice on how that might impact your trip.

There will be no one to help you with your own wheelchair unless you travel with someone who can help you.

Other than that, I am not sure what you are asking. Is it a manual or a power wheelchair? What kind of help would you need? Can you say more about this?

Disney Cast Members cannot push someone in a wheelchair and are very limited in what they can do to help with personal needs. If reading signs or menus is hard for you, a CM could help with that but might not be able to take food to your table for you if you order a counter service meal.

1 I would bring your ear defenders also you might want to look into the das and see if you think that would help you out. also take breaks find a quiet area and just sit for a bit or go back to your room for a bit helps me out so much

2 not sure what your looking for here if you bring you own wheelchair you get to use it and you do not have to pay for. one at the park. the room should fit a wheelchair in just fine even the values resorts

3 I too have a learning disability and it has no effects at the park for me what kings of concerns do you have

1) Bring your ear defenders. My DD used to bring hers to the parks and use them when things got to be too much. Then she transitioned to using earbuds and listening to music she likes on her phone. But for our next trip, she's said she will be bringing her ear defenders again.

Besides noise, you don't indicate what other things aggravate your sensory issues. Sunglasses help DD. We also take breaks during the day. You should also read up on the Disability Assistance Service. There is a sticky thread at the top of this forum. There's no need to read the full thread. Just reading the first post will give you the vital information:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...genie-post-one-is-an-updated-summary.3849395/

2) I can't help with this as I've never dealt with it.

3) There are a lot of different learning disabilities with different impacts. Without knowing how your learning disabilities impact your day to day life, I'm not able to give advice on how that might impact your trip.
1) for me i only have sensory problems with ears due different noses ect and can they be use on the rides

2) i will be using a power wheelchair

3) for my mild learning disabilities thing that people found easy i found harder to for example i found hard to say in line but this do stress me out

Keeping in mind if you are a solo traveler you're on your own.

I think you can ask if a bell hop could assist getting to/from your room when you check in/out with your luggage (do tip them). I don't think you'll get help just getting in and out of your room day to day though, you'll need to figure that part out - either some assistance devices or something similar.

You'll get assistance and guidance getting on/off the bus and on off/rides, but they won't move your chair, that's up to you.

I'd suspect if you need help at a QS somebody could help you get to a table with a tray, but might take a few minutes.

In all cases if staffing is short there could be a wait or less help available. I would say if you really need help, you might want to see about going with a friend.

1) for me i only have sensory problems with ears due different noses ect and can they be use on the rides

3) for my mild learning disabilities thing that people found easy i found harder to for example i found hard to say in line but this do stress me out
Yes you csn were your ear protector on rides.

If you are going to apply for DAS, you will have to be able to explain what issues you have with using the standby queue. Just stating that you have a mild learning disability isn't a reason, as this is not a school, KWIM?

Knowing your own sensory triggers is helpful for planning. For example, I need a baseball cap and sunglasses not only for outside but for glaring overhead lights. I use foam ear plugs now because I've lost expensive ones too many times. I can use large over-ear headsets because it causes headaches. I've had issues with CMs making a big deal out of my earbuds and seeing it as unnecessary instead of an accommodation and not taking the time to talk with me. I get a pressure ulcer just inside me ear if I wear the foam plugs too many days in a row.

I also let myself stim in line, some swinging, bobbing, or flapping my hands at my sides. All my movements are very much inside my own bubble of space. However, other people in line seem to like to touch me or be close enough that even just shifting weight from one foot to the other causes us to touch! I feel very anxious and can get what I call "autistic rage". Allowing myself to stim not only alleviates stress but helps keep people from getting so close and touching me as that triggers me too. At this point, I prefer to be the weird one rather than have people touching me.

My wheelchair experience is limited to using a manual wheelchair to aid my son when he has needed it a few times. Rent a wheelchair from a vendor like Gold Mobility. The ones in the parks stay in the parks and are also much heavier with more drag in the components. Most places have a ramp or automatic door, but you might have to look a bit to see it. For attractions you'll need to check in with a CM ahead of time to get a return time for some rides (Space Mtn and Big Thunder Mtn for example) unless you are using DAS to get a return time. I can't imagine using a manual wheelchair on my own.

You know your learning differences best, but consider if you need extra time, verbal instead of written help, etc.

Disney magic does not eliminate abelism, we still need to be prepared and ready to advocate for our needs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter