Sensors on ECVs

I asked five different guests at WDW this week about the WDW ECV slowing down because of sensors and they said they didn't notice any sensor action, but they did notice that the speed of the ECV is a lot slower than it used to be. I don't know. I asked one castmember and they said they didn't know. Just my very small poll. I didn't notice any ECV slowing up around me. Curious if WDW is doing a trial in some ECVs or parks.

Ray, a pretty straight route around World Showcase Lagoon is 1.3 miles. Can you befriend a couple of these people and see if they'll take a lap? You can time it and we can estimate the speed.

Ray, a pretty straight route around World Showcase Lagoon is 1.3 miles. Can you befriend a couple of these people and see if they'll take a lap? You can time it and we can estimate the speed.
That is actually a great idea, we know the distance, if we know the time it takes on "max speed", then we can determine the speed. Of course it would be best if there could be at least 3 or 4 people doing 3 or 4 laps each to take an average to account for people getting in the way and causing slow downs.

I think it's another CYA situation for Disney. They put the sensors on the EVC's knowing how they "won't" work in the parks due to the massive crowds. I don't believe someone in Disney didn't check these out in crowded conditions before signing on? Then, if you don't want one of these subpar ECV's, you have to sign a paper stating Disney is not responsible for any accidents, etc.
I guess I am normally skeptical at these things, or maybe I've been reading too many spy novels:rolleyes1, but just putting it out there:)

That is actually a great idea, we know the distance, if we know the time it takes on "max speed", then we can determine the speed. Of course it would be best if there could be at least 3 or 4 people doing 3 or 4 laps each to take an average to account for people getting in the way and causing slow downs.

Well, you can't say that I didn't try.

Last night was my last night at WDW and I was at EPCOT to see Illuminations for the last time for me.

Mostly, the people that I asked looked at me like I was crazy and smiled as they rolled away.

I explained to them what I was trying to do, but no one wanted to drive half way around without stopping. Which makes sense to me. They are on vacation and stopping at several places along with each country.

No one said that they noticed anything different about the ECV. Nothing about slowing down. No changes in a crowd. But those that usually rent a WDW EVC all said the overall speed limit seemed a lot slower. Nothing having to do with any sensor.

But that is just what I heard when asking other guests.

I'll be back in December.

I am packing now for a 0820 Delta flight for Atlanta. The DME says I have to leave at 0505. The cast member yesterday said that I couldn't check my luggage with DME even though they open at 0500.

I am still going to try.

She wouldn't give me an answer for what is the earliest flight that I could take to check my luggage for DME ride back to MCO.

I know that don't load it on the same DME bus.

But she couldn't give me an answer.

I said what about an 0830 or 0900 flight. She didn't seem to understand my question. She just kept saying that I couldn't do it.

Oh, well. We'll see what happens at 0500 when it happens.

I am packing now for a 0820 Delta flight for Atlanta. The DME says I have to leave at 0505. The cast member yesterday said that I couldn't check my luggage with DME even though they open at 0500.

I am still going to try
Your luggage has to be completely checked in and you walking away from the counter at least three full hours prior to flight departure.

I did. 0820 flight and 0505 DME pick up. I didn't have any problem today checking my luggage at Pop. I was there bright and early. They took my luggage. I went around the corner and waited for my bus for about 15-minutes. DME arrived at ~0515. The drive from Pop to MCO was about ~40-minutes. I was at my MCO gate at ~0730. I boarded Delta at 0800 and departed with full plane at 0830. They had too many folks trying to take on extra luggage and bags even though they offered free luggage check since the plane was sold out.

The cast member the day before didn't know what she was talking about and couldn't answer my question about how early did I have to have a planned flight to check in when they opened at 0500.

I kept telling her my flight was 0820 and three hours was 0520 and I was going to be inline at 0500 when they opened.

Not all cast member really know what they are talking about. She sounded like she had worked the job before.

The 0500 folks said no problem and took my luggage. I was to over it to discuss the previous day issues with that other cast member.

It appeared all of the 0500 cast members were on the ball and very experience. At least that was my impression.

Still, in general if your/anyone's luggage isn't completely checked in by the cutoff, expect it not to make the flight. Not saying it won't, but be prepared.

Signed,
Someone whose sibling's luggage took over 36 hours to arrive because they were checking the luggage in at - not before - the 45 minute in-terminal cut-off.

Anyone with a cell phone can get a speedometer app. It uses GPS which, once you are moving, is extremely accurate. A 50 foot run with your phone in their basket is all you need to be certain of your speed.

Anyone with a cell phone can get a speedometer app. It uses GPS which, once you are moving, is extremely accurate. A 50 foot run with your phone in their basket is all you need to be certain of your speed.
Actually, I haven't found any for Android that are accurate below 5 MPH and when used for under 1/2 mile. Additionally, even over 5 MPH, there is about a 2-3 MPH +/- degree of accuracy. Perhaps I haven't found the right app, but that is all that I know of.

This is the funniest thread I've seen on the disabilities forum in a long time! :jester:

The things I won't do for the DIS. You should have seen the faces of those guests that I asked to do what was requested of me. Oh my goodness. I think they thought I was crazy. Some of the guests just stared at me and then rolled away. It was so funny.

If I didn't have my own wheelchair, I still wouldn't spend all of that money on a Disney ECV, I would rent from an outside vendor like Gold Mobility.

In case anyone is wondering, I got the following response from Disney World about the email I sent:

So if there are any injuries or accidents caused by these sensors, they really can't say they weren't aware of the issues.

My loved one (referenced in the OP) also wrote a letter back in March and was told that we were "welcome to rent from off site companies" if we didn't like the sensors. Not a magical reply.

any update on this? sounds like the sensors might have been removed or turned off?

I rented a scooter from Apple May 21-30 and had the problem of scooter stopping abruptly, starting back up very slowly, not going up very small hills, going too slow to keep up with my family. Apple replaced scooter, said they had to slow them down for Disney. Replacement was Basically the same. frustrating.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter