Sensitive question. Anyone come back from WDW and was sick?

Happened to us last august. Got sick the night we got home and tested positive for Covid the next morning (less than 24 hours after leaving WDW). We were often in indoor queues or on transportation with people wearing their masks below their noses, we did indoor dining, and we swam at crowded hotel pools, so I suspect one of those was responsible. Other than indoor dining, we were very diligent about mask wearing and always sanitized before and after every ride or show. We flew southwest but it was a pretty much empty flight and airport, and we were 9 days at disney world, so pretty confident disney is where we got it.

I note, almost didn't post this because I am so exhausted with the negative replies I get each time I mention this. Some people here don't want to believe that it's possible to get Covid at Disney, but there have been plenty of cases among CMs and guests alike. It makes no sense to to think that Covid is spreading like wildfire everywhere in the world except Disney. Everyone can make the decision for themselves whether the risk is worth it for them, but the risk does exist.

Our last trip ended March 8 2020. My husband got covid, probably in the airport, and was horizontal for a week. Both my kids got strep (DH was neg for flu, strep and covid but got tested on day 1 of symptoms back when even the lab tests were unreliable)

We went in October and did not get sick. I'd pay more attention to crowds and the state of the pandemic and base a decision on that. I wouldn't want to go anywhere with the current state of Covid and the more transmissible variants becoming more common in the US. I actually had a trip booked that would have started tomorrow, but canceled it a couple weeks ago.

We went at the end of October/beg November and did a day at Disney, lots at Disney Springs, and also hit Sea World/Discovery Cove/Busch Gardens. We were as cautious as we could be and did not get ill. However, with the new variants and not knowing if they are going to hit hard here or not, I would not have done the trip if it were scheduled now.

I am guessing that yes, people are getting sick after being at Disney. But no, they can’t necessarily trace it back to there. But I am guessing if true accurate tracing were possible, some cases will have been traced to there as nothing is 100%. I also think you aren’t necessarily going to hear people proclaiming they went on vacation and then tested positive for Covid. There seems to be some stigma in testing positive as it is, but definitely so if it is following something like a vacation. If there were an exorbitant or disproportionate amount of people who were catching Covid at Disney, I do think we would be hearing more about it, though.

Went in mid October and did not get sick. Here now, leaving tomorrow, and hoping to not get sick. We have skipped indoor shows as well as most rides in small, enclosed spaces that don’t really move. We only eat outdoors if we have to eat in public, so nothing but quick service at outdoor tables for us. I’m double masking this time just to try and add to the precautions.

But all of you who posted about late January 2020 caught my eye. We were there that last weekend, Jan 30-Feb 2 I think it was. Ended up pretty sick for about a week. Like others, we wonder if it was actually COVID. So different from previous illnesses and definitely wasn’t the flu.

We just got back late Thursday night (2 days ago) from 6 days at WDW. So far, so good...no illness to speak of. We took 3000 mg/day of Vitamin C. Also took daily doses of Vitamin D and elderberry supplements.

Whether or not one should go is a very personal decision and it definitely isn't a situation where 'one size fits all.'

Risk v Reward: OP, like all situations in life, YOU have to weigh the risk and reward. We can't judge for you how valuable a Disney vacation is to you, nor can we judge how concerned you are about catching covid.
Disney World follows the basic rules governing most businesses. You always have the choice to wear a mask, social distance and wash hands. You can always remove yourself from a situation in which you feel uncomfortable.
Most of us feel Walmart, groceries or gas are more essential than Disney World, but maybe not. Some people, choose to stay at home and have everything delivered. Some have not left home for 10 months. Many need to leave home to survive. Some need a Disney trip to make life worth it. No judgement.
Yes, there is a risk of catching Covid after visiting WDW, from the parks, the resorts, the airport, the bus, the restaurant, the people all around you. Just as there is a risk of catching Covid from your mother, son, neighbor, coworker.
All we can each do is weigh how valuable is an experience, and how detrimental is covid, to me?
I would not ask someone else to judge if I should do something.

We are in our 60s and just cancelled an early March trip because I was starting to feel nervous about it. Normally, I´m a very optimistic person, but this is so unpredictable. Asking if anyone came home sick can´t be used to help you decide if going will be safe. If you catch it, it could have horrible consequences, or you could be fine. You just don´t know. It depends on your risk factors and tolerance level.

My daughter went with 4 of her friends middle of January. They all tested a few days after their return and one did test positive. I’m not sure how only one could test positive if they shared rooms, ate meals together, were near each other several times without masks. Maybe he got it upon his return or on the flight home. Who knows...I think it seems to be no matter how safe you are there is a possibility of exposure and even with exposure you may or may not come down with it.

Hello. I know that WDW has gone above and beyond to control any outbreaks of Covid. I was there last September and thought they did an amazing job. Will be returning in a few weeks.......(we are seniors). Just wondering if anyone was there recently and had gotten sick with Covid. We will be driving, not flying.

Sorry to bring up an unpleasant subject but....
Have you seen this thread?

ETA: Links don't preload for some reason, but it's the "We Got Covid On a Disney Trip" thread from the DVC Trip Reports forum. It has a lot of testimony from different people who got Covid on their Disney trips.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/we-got-covid-on-a-disney-trip.3818949/
That said, we've been twice since reopening (July and December) and didn't get sick either time. We flew in, but were careful flying (didn't queue up at the gate as soon as boarding was announced, sat up front, kept masks on, etc.), and we rented a car rather than use Disney buses.

Last edited:
My daughter went with 4 of her friends middle of January. They all tested a few days after their return and one did test positive. I’m not sure how only one could test positive if they shared rooms, ate meals together, were near each other several times without masks. Maybe he got it upon his return or on the flight home. Who knows...I think it seems to be no matter how safe you are there is a possibility of exposure and even with exposure you may or may not come down with it.

Agreed.

Two of my friends wives had Covid, the husbands had nothing. Even sleeping next to them every night. Both stayed testing negative. And one couple I know has it together. The wife has Covid with only a slight headache, and the husband had the classic symptoms for a few days. Yeah weird virus where you can sleep next to people and not get it.

As for the OP, I don't know anyone who got it thinking it was from Disney, but I guess you can never really tell, unless your staying in Disney for weeks at a time.

Being Seniors I would be a little more cautious about it while there, esp when you probably are eligible for the vaccine right now ( I know its hard to get an appointment, I know alot of seniors who already received theirs in Florida though ). I wouldn't say cancel the trip, but if I knew it was my turn for the vaccine, I'd probably at least consider waiting if possible since your so close to getting it

Visiting Disney is just like going out in your home town. There is very little risk when outdoors in open spaces whenever everyone is masked. As you venture indoors like say a shop or even Disney transportation, the risk rises, but it's still manageable if everyone follows appropriate mask protocol. Now take that to the next step, in-door dining or bars, these are much much higher risk due to most folks having their masks off to eat or drink. Outside of the plane ride to Disney theres no more risk at Disney there there is in your home town, it just depends on what activities you take part in.

Came back End of Feb 2020...6 yo came home with flu & Covid...despite the fact they didn’t think kids could get it then or have the flu at the same time:sad2: We proved that theory wrong!
We did go July for two weeks and came home perfectly healthy.

Again please stay on topic. This thread is not to discuss covid in schools or the vaccine. If you want to participate answer the OP question and leave it at that

I'll give my 2 cents.
I go to the parks (wdw, uor and swo) about 3 times a week, have done this since swo reopened back in June of 2020, have not gotten sick. My DD works at DHS, has not gotten sick, my son got covid in December not sure where (he performs in several venues around central Florida)
We obviously take all the precautions, we also eat indoors when available usually quick services and wait for shows sitting in large style stadiums for about 30 minutes and then watch the shows. The odds say that i must have been exposed more than once so i could've been asymptomatic or just haven't gotten it

DH got sick at WDW at the end of January 2020. He was so sick we thought he had the flu (even though he had a flu shot). Got tested for flu and it was negative. He was in bed for two weeks straight - fever, chills, body aches, the works. I made him sleep in the spare bedroom the entire time. No one else got it in the house. Now we wonder if he could have had Covid...

I had an identical experience. Visited January 2020.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter